Free Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Amp Match Preset (ML Sound Lab)

Sounded slightly bright when I tested it on my Les Paul R7 but nice tho.
That preset is made with Axe Stock cabs right there's no need of custom IR? Maybe sounds bright as doing something wrong?
Cheers
Rafa
In the video I'm using different IR's but the preset uses stock IR's made by me that everyone should have. You can try and make it darker but boosting the darker mics like the 121 a bit. :)

I love most of your work Mikko but the sound difference the real amp vs the axe fx is so noticeable it's not even close in my opinion. The real amp is so much tighter and way more clear/present.

I love most of your work Mikko but the sound difference the real amp vs the axe fx is so noticeable it's not even close in my opinion. The real amp is so much tighter and way more clear/present.
This wasn't really meant to be perfect. I said many times in the video that "this will not be perfect but I think it'll be close enough for this quick video". I'm actually working on the official Amp Pack based on this amp and what I noticed was that there's no other way to get that high end "right" besides having the presence way up which means I'll have to lower the gains on the amps to... surprise surprise about the same 7.5ish where I had them on the real amp. So the thing I learned after spending more time with these is that the presence knob taper is very different at least on the Mark IIC+ that I have. Not sure if everyone noticed it in the video but if I had the presence pretty much all the way up that high end area aligned with the real amp perfectly but I had way too much gain. The mistake I made in the video was not to lower the drives but decide not to use a high presence setting. So my tip for anyone searching for that IIC+ tone would be to turn that presence WAY UP. :)

The things that I did quick fixes with post-EQ on like the low-mid and super high end - those are the kind of things that take hours to make perfect because it sounds different if you use EQ/tone matching etc. because the dynamics are different. Even now in this video the EQ balance is pretty much identical but in that end clip there's more saturation on top and the low end is a bit out of control on the Fractal.

Hey! The Amp Packs actually go even more in depth with first matching the preamp and then the power amp etc. but I use many tools like this to measure things. Doing it by ear alone would be pretty difficult. :)

Just downloaded and imported it, and swapped in the RedWire MS12 Black Shadow IR I have hanging around. Can't wait to try it out!

I used to have a 60W Mk IIC 1x12 combo with the MS12 speaker (ordered just before Christmas 1983, s/n 12118), but, sadly, without the '+' after the 'C', so it missed some of the improvements that made the IIC+ legendary. This should prove interesting to play with. :)

I wonder if anyone has a Mesa 1x12" T/S EVM12L IR. That was my #2 speaker in my old Boogie rig.

Just downloaded and imported it, and swapped in the RedWire MS12 Black Shadow IR I have hanging around. Can't wait to try it out!

I used to have a 60W Mk IIC 1x12 combo with the MS12 speaker (ordered just before Christmas 1983, s/n 12118), but, sadly, without the '+' after the 'C', so it missed some of the improvements that made the IIC+ legendary. This should prove interesting to play with. :)

I wonder if anyone has a Mesa 1x12" T/S EVM12L IR. That was my #2 speaker in my old Boogie rig.
I own a Mesa Thiele with that speaker. Most likely not going to use that small box if I shoot IR's of it - it's limiting the capabilities of that awesome speaker. :) No plans to do that yet though.

I own a Mesa Thiele with that speaker. Most likely not going to use that small box if I shoot IR's of it - it's limiting the capabilities of that awesome speaker. :) No plans to do that yet though.

They are pretty impressive speakers.

I had two in a Twin in the early '90s, and rolled it in front of the TV. The magnets affected the TV screen, pulling all but green colors to the bottom of the screen for a month or so. The Mrs. was not nearly as amused about that as I was....

Last edited:
They are pretty impressive speakers.

I had two in a Twin in the early '90s, and rolled it in front of the TV. The magnets affected the TV screen, pulling all but green colors to the bottom of the screen for a month or so. The Mrs. was not nearly as amused about that as I was....
Wow that's crazy. I must say it's the heaviest speaker I have in my collection - it always goes to the bottom of the pile just in case. :D

Played the IIC+ a bit this evening with my Strat and using the Weber Blue Dog IR that already existed in the modified patch I dropped the amp into. It definitely gets that "about to explode" sound the IIC+ was famous for. Had to adjust a few tone settings to get the sound to be a bit less bright, and bumped both presence and master volume up a bit while reducing overdrive and input drive, but ended up with a cool sound. I am guessing as-is, the patch was set up for humbuckers. Will bring in the MS12 Black Shadow IR next and see how that does. I suspect it has a little smoother, less jangly high end than the Blue Dog, that will do good with the IIC+....

Last edited:
This wasn't really meant to be perfect. I said many times in the video that "this will not be perfect but I think it'll be close enough for this quick video". I'm actually working on the official Amp Pack based on this amp and what I noticed was that there's no other way to get that high end "right" besides having the presence way up which means I'll have to lower the gains on the amps to... surprise surprise about the same 7.5ish where I had them on the real amp. So the thing I learned after spending more time with these is that the presence knob taper is very different at least on the Mark IIC+ that I have. Not sure if everyone noticed it in the video but if I had the presence pretty much all the way up that high end area aligned with the real amp perfectly but I had way too much gain. The mistake I made in the video was not to lower the drives but decide not to use a high presence setting. So my tip for anyone searching for that IIC+ tone would be to turn that presence WAY UP. :)

The things that I did quick fixes with post-EQ on like the low-mid and super high end - those are the kind of things that take hours to make perfect because it sounds different if you use EQ/tone matching etc. because the dynamics are different. Even now in this video the EQ balance is pretty much identical but in that end clip there's more saturation on top and the low end is a bit out of control on the Fractal.

I wonder if the new firmware rectifies some of the discrepancy between the two clips. Any chance of redoing the comparison?

I'll create some proper comparisons when making the final pack. I got much closer later with lower gain and higher presence settings. :)

Sorry guys just checking. Does this preset still work? I tried loading in my FM9 but nothing shows up

Back
Top Bottom