FREE - Fractal Mic Sim IRs from the Axe-Fx II Cab block

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
First of all, I hope that this is okay with Cliff @FractalAudio to post? This is something that anyone could do for themselves, but I figured that I would do it for everybody.

Many of the former Axe-Fx II users (including myself) would often use one of the built-in mic sims with the older Standard-Res factory cab IRs. And sometimes even with some of the other IRs that already include 'baked-in' mics, for a different flavor. These mic sims are not available in the Axe-Fx III. I've seen this topic come up a few times in this forum. And I thought that it would be cool to still have those mic sim's available.

Well, with the new addition of the 'IR' blocks for the Axe-Fx III, this idea just became way more feasible. Now you can use one of your old favorites, like the good old 'Basketweave TV Mix' (in the Legacy bank), and put one of the new 'IR' blocks in series just after the cab block with one of these cabs sim IRs, and boom! You could even put two 'IR' blocks in parallel and make your own mic blends.

I have included all 10 mic sims, as well as 4 additional popular (50-50) 'dual-mic' blends. Since they are just fairly simple EQ curves, I did them all in the 'Standard-Res' format. This also means that they can be loaded into 'Cab-Lab' and mixed (in Serial mode) with other IRs, and used in any platform.

The 'Tone Match' process that I am using causes the IR to be 5 to 6 dB quieter than a typical IR. So you will need to set the 'Level' of the 'IR' block between +5 and +6 dB to maintain the preset level. Also, you might need to add some 'Proximity' in the 'Cab' block to recover some lost low-end?

Have fun! and long live the Legacy Cabs....:D

Attachments

• Fractal dual-mic sim IRs.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Fractal mic sim IRs.zip
    40.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I could possibly supply them in .wav format too, if needed?

Not available in .wav format. Per Cliff's request.

Last edited:
have included all 10 mic sims, as well as 4 additional popular (50-50) 'dual-mic' blends. Since they are just fairly simple EQ curves, I did them all in the 'Standard-Res' format. This also means that they can be loaded into 'Cab-Lab' and mixed (in Serial mode) with other IRs, and used in any platform.
Moke you are a genius!
I asked for these as soon as it was realized that the mic sims where not coming back for the III... And I basically got instantly bashed....
For me, this offering is up there with Fractool, as far as offerings from forum members.
I do hope you are looked after behind the scene by Fractal - you deserve it!!

Moke you are a genius!
I asked for these as soon as it was realized that the mic sims where not coming back for the III... And I basically got instantly bashed....
For me, this offering is up there with Fractool, as far as offerings from forum members.
I do hope you are looked after behind the scene by Fractal - you deserve it!!
I just saw a need and filled it. I can add some more mixes if needed. I believe it was your post that got me thinking about doing this?

I am a huge Fractal fan. The fact that they exist is good enough for me. I own (almost) everything that they make.

Last edited:
OMG I cannot LIKE this post/thread enough!!!

These mic/eq tweaks can be super useful, especially if porting old killer sounds made on the Axe-Fx XL/XL+/Mark II to the Axe-Fx III to egt them perfect. I've got some old but neat Dweezil Zappa presets (from Q1!) that could be revived on the Axe III with this new tool.

THANK YOU MOKE for all you do to support this community!

Given these are essentially just EQ curves, would an equally effect "solution" also be simply using a filter block and simulating the respective frequency response, and then just place a filter/EQ block after the cab block, and from the block library select the setting that simulates what the mic IR is doing ?

Given these are essentially just EQ curves, would an equally effect "solution" also be simply using a filter block and simulating the respective frequency response, and then just place a filter/EQ block after the cab block, and from the block library select the setting that simulates what the mic IR is doing ?
You won’t be able to duplicate the complexity of a mic response curve with the Filter or EQ blocks. You might be able to approximate them.

OMG I cannot LIKE this post/thread enough!!!

These mic/eq tweaks can be super useful, especially if porting old killer sounds made on the Axe-Fx XL/XL+/Mark II to the Axe-Fx III to egt them perfect. I've got some old but neat Dweezil Zappa presets (from Q1!) that could be revived on the Axe III with this new tool.

THANK YOU MOKE for all you do to support this community!
Thank you Buddy! I have learned so much about these awesome units, from so many really smart and helpful people since I first found this forum. I'm just glad to still be here. (and still learning)

Thank you! This is great, I was also missing this. I used the mics quite often to tame harsh cabs.

@Moke : noticed a 6dB volume drop when using your IRs in the IR player put aftert he normal cab block, is it normal ?
Also noticed a lot of bass loss, i don't remember the AxeFx II mic sims lost such amount of bass

@Moke : noticed a 6dB volume drop when using your IRs in the IR player put aftert he normal cab block, is it normal ?
Also noticed a lot of bass loss, i don't remember the AxeFx II mic sims lost such amount of bass
Have not tried but I remember sometimes after making a tone match into a cab I had to add 3db at Cab LEVEL. Will try and report back.

Back
Top Bottom