*FREE* Far-Field Session #2 Cab Pack

I can't believe I did it!! I haven't used the Axe Edit in so long I forgot where I stored it, so I downloaded it again (cool cuz now I have the latest version). I found "Manage Cabs" after a few minutes of thinking and searching, it brought up the User section without me even having to look for it. So I hit "Select All" in my documents window, dragged them over and I'm thinking, "did it work?" 6 or 7 seconds later they all appeared! Fantastic! But there starting at "9" 🤔. Well I was looking for a way to fix this and wound up erasing everything, so I just dragged again but this time put the curser on 1, and transferred it to in the Cab Manager "on 1" and bingo, they all lined up nicely, and hit SAVE. Much thanks to @IronSean, @Jason Scott, and @is9582 for your help, much appreciated!!!

I just got a chance to sample the cabs and I'm a little...befuddled. Maybe I misunderstood but I was thinking far field would be like a mic in the room, or a room, or bathroom sink, etc., Like Page, and Rhoads, and Priest used to do. I'm guessing that's incorrect because I'm not hearing much difference from the Factory or Legacy cabs. Could someone be a gem and explain what far-field means? Is it just a few inches or a foot? 😁

I just got a chance to sample the cabs and I'm a little...befuddled. Maybe I misunderstood but I was thinking far field would be like a mic in the room, or a room, or bathroom sink, etc., Like Page, and Rhoads, and Priest used to do. I'm guessing that's incorrect because I'm not hearing much difference from the Factory or Legacy cabs. Could someone be a gem and explain what far-field means? Is it just a few inches or a foot? 😁
Well, IRs of room mics could be considered "far-field" too but, firstly, IRs in the axe fx (and any other modeler) are not long enough to contain the full reverberation of a room and, secondly, it's more desirable for this type of far-field IRs to be reflection free cuz they are more accurate in representing what you hear when listening to the real cab directly and you're free to add whatever reverb you'd like (or even no reverb at all if you want to rely on the actual room you're playing in for that)

The far field is the distance at which you hear the speaker as if it were a single point source of sound. This distance is often twenty feet or more from the speaker. The idea is to more accurately model what the audience hears, as opposed to what you hear with your speaker flapping your pants from five feet behind you.

The far field is the distance at which you hear the speaker as if it were a single point source of sound. This distance is often twenty feet or more from the speaker. The idea is to more accurately model what the audience hears, as opposed to what you hear with your speaker flapping your pants from five feet behind you.

More accurately it's intended to capture what the cabinet itself sounds like rather than what a microphone pushed up against the grill would hear.

[And to be clear because it always comes up, there is nothing wrong with the traditional practice of close micing a cabinet. It was arguably a compromise at the time but it resulted in many great tones heard on every album we love. This is just a different approach with different intentions.]

I'm still hoping for another far field cab pack as I really love those for playing at home. I would just really like to have a little more variety.

Hi all!

My understanding is that these are not compatible with the FM3 right? Since their release, did that change or is there a way to make them work or to buy them for FM3? I would be very interested!

I hope this has not already been answered but if so, sorry about that. I used the search engine and didn't find the response.

Thanks!

Matt

I was under the impression that the FM3 could still load UltraRes IR's but it would truncate the IR length since it doesn't support the full 8000 samples that the Axe III does. You could always download them and try.

I was under the impression that the FM3 could still load UltraRes IR's but it would truncate the IR length since it doesn't support the full 8000 samples that the Axe III does. You could always download them and try.

The Blocks Guide mentions that the FM3 loads a truncated version of UltraRes impulses, so I came away with the same presumption.

Wow that’s a good news!! Original post was only referring to Axe-Fx and I didn’t see that post.

I can’t wait to get my FM3!!!

Thank you all! I appreciate it. Looking forward to exchange with you guys. I guess I'll need it in the upcoming weeks!

Back
Top Bottom