*FREE* Far-Field Session #2 Cab Pack

One of the things I've found really useful about these is they are a good starting point for dialing the amp block in. Near-field IRs can have excessive bass and/or treble. To compensate we might end up doing strange things in the amp block which throws off the distortion character and feel. When using a far-field IR it's very similar to how the amp sounds through a conventional cab.

So what I'm doing is using one of the far-field IRs to start, dial in the amp block and then choose a near-field IR. I then adjust the low/high cuts in the cab block rather than adjusting the amp block.

This is exactly what I have been struggeling with for years with the axe 2. I tried so many cab packs assuming they would offer me balanced lead tone.
But most of the ones I tried were just super bright and brittle and I struggeled a lot to make compromises with amp settings. Even using Hi cut in cab block I was somehow unable to really solve my problems.

It was so frustrating, I actually quit guitar all together for a while... until couple of months ago I bought some patches from Stel Andre. This coincided with Ares becoming available for axe 2. Suddenly I had fantastic sound. I learned about what he was doing and generally he doesnt use cab hi cut at all. I was so exited that I even bought the axe 3! Arrived few days ago.

I have only had my AXE FX3 since February. I am an IT professional and I would give several important body parts to have an engineering/development and testing team as good as the Fractal guys. Much respect.

One of the things I've found really useful about these is they are a good starting point for dialing the amp block in. Near-field IRs can have excessive bass and/or treble. To compensate we might end up doing strange things in the amp block which throws off the distortion character and feel. When using a far-field IR it's very similar to how the amp sounds through a conventional cab.

So what I'm doing is using one of the far-field IRs to start, dial in the amp block and then choose a near-field IR. I then adjust the low/high cuts in the cab block rather than adjusting the amp block.

Wow! Double Wow!!!

just to share some experiences:
I found the "favorites" IRs a bit dull overall so I mixed them equally with the 0° IRs (requires phase/time alignement). Problem solved. These IRs sound even better now. :)

Just had some time to try this on a new patch today.

Absolute game changer in terms of realism, for me it's quite a disciplined approach which I like too - get the amp, then bring it alive with the cab so to speak, works superbly.

Thanks!

Loading fine in my Axe FX II MK I. Thanks - is there a software for truncating ir's?

I tried loading in AX8 thru AXE-Manage but the .syx file doesn't appear and is greyed out when I browse folders. Did you have to convert these using cab lab or something?

I tried loading in AX8 thru AXE-Manage but the .syx file doesn't appear and is greyed out when I browse folders. Did you have to convert these using cab lab or something?
Help me understand. The files don't appear, or they're grayed out?

Help me understand. The files don't appear, or they're grayed out?

They don’t appear in AXE Manage as the other .syx do appear. They are greyed out when browsing but of course they would be because only folders would be selectable thru AXE manage.

I thought it might be that the original folder from the download was in Zip format or compressed. But I copied a couple of the files out into another folder with several other .syx files which do appear in the list.

They don’t appear in AXE Manage as the other .syx do appear. They are greyed out when browsing but of course they would be because only folders would be selectable thru AXE manage.

I thought it might be that the original folder from the download was in Zip format or compressed. But I copied a couple of the files out into another folder with several other .syx files which do appear in the list.
We're missing something fundamental here. In Axe-Manage's Browse window, files don't get grayed out. They're either there and available, or they're not. You're seeing Axe-Manage's Browse window, right? If not, use Browser > Show/Hide.

Try to unzipp them again. I did upload them with FractalBot in Axe FX II.

Did you actually unzip them to a folder before dragging them into Axe-Manage cabs, or did you drag them from WinZip into Axe-Manage Cabs' Browser?

We're missing something fundamental here. In Axe-Manage's Browse window, files don't get grayed out. They're either there and available, or they're not. You're seeing Axe-Manage's Browse window, right? If not, use Browser > Show/Hide.

Yeah, sorry Rex. Obviously I confused things by stating they are greyed out. In the Axe-Manage Browse window they do not appear however others do.

When I mentioned they were greyed out, It was when I was browsing folders thru Axe-Manage, which of course is because you would be browsing folders not files. So that isn't an issue. Sorry to confuse things.

Did you actually unzip them to a folder before dragging them into Axe-Manage cabs, or did you drag them from WinZip into Axe-Manage Cabs' Browser?

I dragged two of the .syx files from the WinZip folder that was downloaded when I clicked on the link that was posted in the first post. Do I need to download again and unzip them all into a new folder and then move them accordingly?

Also, I realize that as Cliff pointed out, they most likely won't translate to AX8 like they do with the AX3 due to the limitations of the AX8/AXII. I'm just curious because I've been following the far field threads here and on TGP.

Back
Top Bottom