*FREE* Far-Field Session #2 Cab Pack

Thanks Cliff!! ...Just loaded a Cab...On my way to a gig, checking it out this evening....

I’m sure that would flirt with breaking the EULA
FAS to revert, but it looks like you're righr about that. Anyway, I'm totally uncapable of convert these by myself, but if that is true I can understand some people might feel this as a déception. I'm ready to buy the second session with the 4x12 cabs for a price similar of the first pack, if it's adapted for the II. Well, let's say there's maybe some hope FAS will put the 2nd pack on sale for axe fx II and Ax8 ? If not it won't destroy my world

I'm not familiar with the application of far-field IRs... are they supposed to be mixed with regular IRs, or used as a stand-alone?

The original intend of Fractal products was to create the perfect tone to tape sound. People began complaining immediately units like the Ultra did not replicate the "amp in the room" sound they sought. Since then, Fractal has been working to also create the live tone people have been requesting, this is one such step toward that end goal.

I was really looking forward to these, however according to Jay Mitchell(and others), they aren't reflection free. That's not a complaint, just an observation.
Some minor reflections from some immovable objects within the "zone of silence". Nothing severe. Try 'em, they sound good. Most of the ones in the favorites folder sound better than Jay's.

I was really looking forward to these, however according to Jay Mitchell(and others), they aren't reflection free. That's not a complaint, just an observation.
I'm one of those who posted the graphs, I concur with Cliff though, they sound pretty good and reflections in most cases are below -30dB, nothing that would cause unbearable phasiness.
I'm quite certain some of them will soon become my go-to IRs.

We did the best we could given the building and circumstances. There are steel posts that support the roof that were likely the source of the minor reflections. Also the environment was a bit noisy. There's a transformer that was humming. We surrounded it with bags full of foam peanuts in an attempt to reduce the noise.

Statistically they aren't perfect but when we listened to them we were quite pleased.

It's not difficult to obtain a far-field IR. What is difficult is finding a good space. Since we have the building the only cost to us was our time. Since no studio costs were involved we can offer these as free. If they work for you great, if they don't, nothing lost.

Some minor reflections from some immovable objects within the "zone of silence". Nothing severe. Try 'em, they sound good. Most of the ones in the favorites folder sound better than Jay's.
This. There's nothing here that strikes my ears as a reflection.

I just tried the Favorites, and they sound great to my ears. Thank you very much for making these and offering them for free.

Last edited:
We did the best we could given the building and circumstances. There are steel posts that support the roof that were likely the source of the minor reflections. Also the environment was a bit noisy. There's a transformer that was humming. We surrounded it with bags full of foam peanuts in an attempt to reduce the noise.

Statistically they aren't perfect but when we listened to them we were quite pleased.

It's not difficult to obtain a far-field IR. What is difficult is finding a good space. Since we have the building the only cost to us was our time. Since no studio costs were involved we can offer these as free. If they work for you great, if they don't, nothing lost.
Must've been quite thick steel posts? Or maybe the test signal was soft and the noise came into play quite a bit? I won't be able to try these out until late tonight, but the -30 dB result is surprising on what is supposed to be "20 ms of reflection-free data."

Thx as always !!

Will give them a whirl tonight hopefully.

Do you typically use these in conjunction with normal IR’s or as standalone IR’s ?

Back
Top Bottom