Free Cab Pack! BassBreaker 212 - Fane F70

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys, hope you're doing well!
These days I've been doing my first experiments in acquiring cab IRs and, since most of these turned out to be better than I expected, I thought I'll share them with you.

The attached zip contains several IRs based on a 2x12" Fender BassBreaker cab loaded with Fane F70 speakers.
There are 9 IRs for each speaker and each mic shot at 3 different positions and 3 different distances, plus a mid-field IR shot at about 2 feet, the filenames should be pretty clear about that.

They are in wav format so you can use them on other modelers and IR loaders too. There currently are just a few mic choices but I plan to do more shoots of the same cab with the other mics I own in the near future so, if you like them and are interested, watch this thread.

Please let me know if you like them and feel free to share your opinions/criticism/suggestions.

PS: the impedance curve of this exact cab is already available in the Axe FX III and FM3, it's called 2x12 Bassbuster

PPS: these IRs are all time-aligned so they can be mixed as is, without the need to process them with MPT or in the align tab of the cab block.
I suggest not to use the auto-trim cuz ti might misalign them, the "time of flight" is low enough to not cause any issues with latency or ultrares processing.

A1fq1Kr7QsL._AC_SL1500_.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• Fender BassBreaker 212 - Fane F70 (by DLC86).zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
For some reasons I find that IRs of speaker "R" sound a lot better than L despite them being "identical" speakers, but the strange thing is that I don't hear all this difference when listening to them directly, only on the IRs. Is this normal in your experience?

Today I realized I made a mistake when shooting these IRs, I forgot to turn off the room correction plugin in my DAW so they had the correction for my room baked in. That's why they sounded so good to me, LOL!

I just re-shot them and updated the first post with new zip and info, please download them again cuz the old ones had a big hole around 105Hz and a few peaks here and there that should not be there.
I also raised the cab to reduce floor reflections so they should sound better even without taking into account the room correction thing.

Last edited:
So, I tried these out last night.

I found them to be very "phasey" sounding for me... There was an odd resonance to them.

Anyone else experience similar?

I did download after the update...

So, I tried these out last night.

I found them to be very "phasey" sounding for me... There was an odd resonance to them.

Anyone else experience similar?

I did download after the update...
Did you try all of them?
IME that might be true for the L speaker but those labeled F70-R don't sound phasey to me, the IR called "BB212 F70-R M5 Cone 6in" especially sounds a lot like what I hear "in the room".

Anyway this is a ported cab so maybe this resonance you're hearing might be caused by that?

Anyway, thanks. This is the kind of feedback I need, since these are my first attempts I definitely wanna know if there's something wrong with the way I shoot them.

Last edited:
Did you try all of them?
IME that might be true for the L speaker but those labeled F70-R don't sound phasey to me, the IR called "BB212 F70-R M5 Cone 6in" especially sounds a lot like what I hear "in the room".

Anyway this is a ported cab so maybe this resonance you're hearing might be caused by that?

Anyway, thanks. This is the kind of feedback I need, since these are my first attempts I definitely wanna know if there's something wrong with the way I shoot them.
I'm pretty sure that I tried all of them.

There was one labelled "6 in" that I thought sounded best out of all of them but I don't remember which exact one.

I'll try them again when I get a few minutes.

Updated zip in the first post!
Added new mics (Rode NT1 and Rode M2 - it seems I particularly like Rode mics :sweatsmile:) and new distance, also re-shot previous IRs cuz I finally have access to our treated rehearsal room and it seems the environment makes quite a bit of difference, now they are all less phasey and more defined (check them out @unix-guy)

More mics coming probably next weekend

Updated zip in the first post!
Added new mics (Rode NT1 and Rode M2 - it seems I particularly like Rode mics :sweatsmile:) and new distance, also re-shot previous IRs cuz I finally have access to our treated rehearsal room and it seems the environment makes quite a bit of difference, now they are all less phasey and more defined (check them out @unix-guy)

More mics coming probably next weekend
Cool. Will give them a try tonight!

Back
Top Bottom