FREE Black Shadow MC-90 IR

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey everyone,
So my dad just gave me his early Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12 loaded with a UK Celestion Mesa Black Shadow MC-90 speaker. I've never played one of those speakers before, so I thought I'd give it a "shot"... Ba-dum-pssh (sorry, terrible IR producer/dad joke) Anyway, I shot a single 57 and wanted to do one of those clips where I play the mic'ed up cab vs the Axe and an IR. To keep things as fair as possible, all amp settings are at default and there is no post EQ or anything. Just a limiter to make the clip a little louder. If I was dialing in a tone with this amp, I'd cut some bass and add a little top end, but I wanted to keep things as neutral as possible. I have to say, it's pretty darn close. So if you've been wanting a little Black Shadow IR love, here ya go.

Here's the clip, and you can grab the IR below. Enjoy!
PS. The IR will work with the Axe-Fx III, II, and AX8

Attachments

• YA 112 BLACK SHADOW.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 582
I used a 2x12 open back lone star cab for years with a Mesa roadster. I loved that cab!

Thanks for this!
You’re very welcome. Hopefully this will get you a little closer to your old analog amp tones.

HOLY SHITEBALLS! This sounds so sweet with the Clean Lonestar amp! Thanks Justin!!!!

Thanks Brad! It’s a special amp, and hopefully this IR will bring life back into that model for people. I’m glad you’re digging it!

That's one super fat sounding IR. COuldn't resist firing it up with the Lone Star clean and then the C++ :D

Wow! I wouldn’t have thought to run the C++ through this cab, but man, it sounds ballsy! I may have to put this speaker in another cab at some point.

My main gigging cab for years was a Mesa 4x12 with a quad of C90s. Loved that cab.
The idea of a Mesa cab without V30’s sounds like blasphemy, but after hearing this speaker with some high gain, I bet your cab was brutal...and probably weighed as much as a Honda Civic.

Wow! I wouldn’t have thought to run the C++ through this cab, but man, it sounds ballsy! I may have to put this speaker in another cab at some point.

The idea of a Mesa cab without V30’s sounds like blasphemy, but after hearing this speaker with some high gain, I bet your cab was brutal...and probably weighed as much as a Honda Civic.
It was quite heavy but I put 6" urethane casters on it which made moving it a bit easier.

Hey everyone,
So my dad just gave me his early Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12 loaded with a UK Celestion Mesa Black Shadow MC-90 speaker. I've never played one of those speakers before, so I thought I'd give it a "shot"... Ba-dum-pssh (sorry, terrible IR producer/dad joke) Anyway, I shot a single 57 and wanted to do one of those clips where I play the mic'ed up cab vs the Axe and an IR. To keep things as fair as possible, all amp settings are at default and there is no post EQ or anything. Just a limiter to make the clip a little louder. If I was dialing in a tone with this amp, I'd cut some bass and add a little top end, but I wanted to keep things as neutral as possible. I have to say, it's pretty darn close. So if you've been wanting a little Black Shadow IR love, here ya go.

Here's the clip, and you can grab the IR below. Enjoy!
PS. The IR will work with the Axe-Fx III, II, and AX8

Wow, that sounds really good, THANK YOU!!

yep i have 2 full stacks of them still, hoping this sounds like them... will try in a bit.

I bet your two full stacks sound massive! While 16 speakers in closed back cabs will sound drastically different than a 1x12 open back cab, hopefully this IR will bring a little familiarity in the character you’re used to hearing with this speaker.

Wow, that sounds really good, THANK YOU!!
I’m glad you’re liking it. You’re very welcome.

This is very generous from your side Justin, big thanks to you and dad!!
Awe man, it’s no problem. I just threw up a mic and thought it sounded great, so I shot an IR and thought you guys might have fun with it too. And yeah, my dad is a legend. :)

I bet your two full stacks sound massive! While 16 speakers in closed back cabs will sound drastically different than a 1x12 open back cab, hopefully this IR will bring a little familiarity in the character you’re used to hearing with this speaker.

these are the half back cabs, half open half closed, so 2 open 2 enclosed. so 8 total open 8 closed.

Hey everyone,
So my dad just gave me his early Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12 loaded with a UK Celestion Mesa Black Shadow MC-90 speaker...

Very cool! I'm the first of the musicians in my family. But one day maybe it will be like this for my kids.... "So my dad just gave me his old Axe-Fx III loaded with IR's of Justin York's dad's real speakers ;) Doesn't quite have as nice of a ring to it though.

Very cool! I'm the first of the musicians in my family. But one day maybe it will be like this for my kids.... "So my dad just gave me his old Axe-Fx III loaded with IR's of Justin York's dad's real speakers ;) Doesn't quite have as nice of a ring to it though.
I think it has a nice ring to it. And it’s no joke. The Axe III is an exceptional piece of gear that will last for decades and still sound phenomenal when you hand it down to your kids. When I started touring at 17, my dad gave me his old ADA digital delay rack from the early 80’s and I used that thing for years because it sounded great. I truly see the Axe as a similar piece of gear (but way better) that will stand the test of time and inspire and educate new generations of guitar players. Only now they’ll be able to experience a ‘66 Deluxe Reverb and other incredible amps and effects in a way we were never able to.

I know you were kidding in your post, but it kinda got me pumped to think about handing my Fractal gear down to my kids when they want to start playing guitar.

Thanks so much! Tried this IR with a preset trying to emulate a Lonestar Classic I used to own. Used the IR in two cabs and panned them L/R. Added the factory 2X12 57 and 2X12 160 rear. Closest I've been able to come to what I remember the amp sounding like.

Back
Top Bottom