Fredman IR's are metal bliss

they sound nice but naming IR's like "awesome" sucks IMHO.
:mrgreen: i think it's always nice if you know what box etc. was used

Soultrash said:
they sound nice but naming IR's like "awesome" sucks IMHO.
:mrgreen: i think it's always nice if you know what box etc. was used

These are all explained on the thread where the link was taken from. Fredman IR's are named correctly in the IR collection in the IR section. (straight, angled, etc.) Now... after redwire's tips I wouldn't choose the Fredman over the Redwirez IR's.

Hey that´s what I was looking for. :twisted:

Redwire could you please give us an example but with the Royer R121?

and what was the Q for the - 6 db and - 9 db cut?

If you plant to release a special bigger batch of scooped IRs just for metal players I´ll definetly buy that :mrgreen:

abey said:

If you plant to release a special bigger batch of scooped IRs just for metal players I´ll definetly buy that :mrgreen:

Tried this eariler with the AxeFX PEQ and used the default Q at around 400hz and scooped out between 4-9db to taste. Have a play it makes a massive difference.

xpenno said:
abey said:

Tried this eariler with the AxeFX PEQ and used the default Q at around 400hz and scooped out between 4-9db to taste. Have a play it makes a massive difference.

I used a Q setting around 1.4 with a 5150 patch to all the way to max ,which is 5 the narrowist, with a New Recto patch and floated around -6db for both. Then bumped up 3000hz @+1-1.5db with the High/low set @60hz-12000hz both blocking. Very detailed tone. Thanks Mike for sharing some of those EQ insights!

Q on ClarkKent's clip was 0.50. That's a pretty wide Q and sucks out a little bit of the thump along with it, but I didn't know how high a Q the Axe-Fx had.

I reposted the scooped IRs. I didn't get enough resolution on the last batch, so the scoop was pretty minimal. This batch is correct. I also added a low shelf to steepen the slope of the cut on the low side leaving more thump intact. I didn't boost the amount of thump just kept it from getting sucked out. When I have more time, I'll give it a more detailed study and try to find more optimal settings.

Please download the IRs again.

Had to test them with my headphones because the wife already sleeps.
Wow - sounds great so far. Can't wait to hear it on my monitors tomorrow.
Had some great results with the 5150 and the New Recto!
Thanx a LOT!!! Also loved the sounds with the "old" 4x12 redwirez but this really sounds more metal when using it with some high gain presets.

I'd definitely buy the "metal pack".

History in progress? :D

My final scoop was at 400hz -6dB with a 0.707Q. It does take away most of the thump but I had plenty so there was enough left. :) Can't wait to try these out!!!! Have got to go get my MIDI-interface tomorrow just for the kicks.

Well, when I get my axe and try out the stocks and wear them out, I will most definitely buy the big box from RW. I really only want the the marshalls, mesa and orange, but at ~$40, but for $15 more, I get all of them XD

A metal pack would be awesome, but, if it is a matter of just EQing, like I normally would, The idea is a bit meh. The info shared here is fanatastic, but I would still buy the metal pack since I am lazy :lol:

S-O said:
A metal pack would be awesome, but, if it is a matter of just EQing, like I normally would, The idea is a bit meh.

I'm not just a metal type of guy. I play everything from poprock to funk and prog. The best poprock sounds I've ever got come from using a metal setting and just lowering the gain until it sounds right. I do a lot of mixing/mastering and those type of tones sit really well in a mix. F.ex. Paramore guitar tone. (not a fan of the band but overall tones rock)

I've never scooped 400hz before this thread but I'm actually using it to check every guitar tone nowaways. :)

Clark Kent said:
[quote="S-O":2rx5t0u0]A metal pack would be awesome, but, if it is a matter of just EQing, like I normally would, The idea is a bit meh.

I'm not just a metal type of guy. I play everything from poprock to funk and prog. The best poprock sounds I've ever got come from using a metal setting and just lowering the gain until it sounds right. I do a lot of mixing/mastering and those type of tones sit really well in a mix. F.ex. Paramore guitar tone. (not a fan of the band but overall tones rock)

I've never scooped 400hz before this thread but I'm actually using it to check every guitar tone nowaways. :)[/quote:2rx5t0u0]

I believe you! :lol: All the radio rock is produced amazingly, even if I find it at times dull and lifeless. And I must also confess that Paramore is sickeningly catchy XD

I too am not just a metal guy, and once I get the axe, I will try out turning down the brootalz for a bit more rockish tone. But most of the time I will be chugging out Meshuggah and Cynic tonez.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12623

Made a quick clip using two of these metal IRs. I liked the combination of cap edge 6db scooped 1in off axis and on axis. The clean part only uses one IR and I don't actually remember which one.

Shiiiit this is really tight... Real amps are not this tight when palm muted! Amazing! (0:20)

Redwire, the problem is back. I'm not sure how or why... but somehow the RWIRs seem to be lacking clarity. I made my first song recording and had to boost highs +4dB from 1000hz upward to make it sound right. Boosting highs makes the tone digital sounding and it's not a good thing. I had bass at 2 and depth at 3... shouldn't be too much though.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... WUxIRGc9PQ

Here's the song I made... I was very happy with the tone and still am but then it didn't sit well in the mix.

NEWS: I ended up solving the problem with scooping the 400hz some more... I'll have to give that 9db scoop a try!

abey said:
yeah Redwirez Metal Pack :twisted:

I want that for christmas :mrgreen:

+1
To late for Chirstmas, but I want them anyway! :p
And the Engl package also :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance Mr Red Wire!

Can someone tell me the point of not using the cab simulations in the axe? i thought they already had tons of options, etc...

so it is possible to create 10 cabs on your own right? what could redwirez do that is not possible to do on the axe?

Back
Top Bottom