Fraudulent Reverb Listings In Spades.

la szum

Axe-Master
Man, the scammers are out in full force. I have seen 3 other scam listings.

Seller lists from another country, pulls someone else's pics off the internet
and someone thinks they get a great deal and have their CC info phished
when they purchase the guitar that never was.

Beware!!

1650760742890.png

Maybe I'm missing something but how is someone getting their credit card info phished by buying from a fraudulent seller on Reverb?

They make the payment via Reverb or PayPal, not to the seller directly.

Defrauded, yes.

Phished, no.

Similar scam going on Craigslist for rental houses/apartments. They use good pictures they probably grabbed from somewhere else, put up a nicely worded listing, but won't show the place to you, they just ask you for your info and tell you to "take a drive by and if you'd like it, contact me to put in a deposit." Umm, no. The reality is that many are empty houses that are actually for sale...

Related to the actual topic, Guitar Center is becoming more and more attractive every day.

I saw a lot of this when I was looking for an Explorer, multiple listing of the same guitar. I think the first giveaway is the unrealistic price the second is when you start asking specific questions, they either don't respond or they don't have a clue.

I fell for one of those on an FM9 listed at $999 a while back. Thankfully, I didn't have to give and CC info, and was refunded pretty quickly. I got the full AXE FX III now, so no more need to look for FM9 deals.

I fell for one of those on an FM9 listed at $999 a while back. Thankfully, I didn't have to give and CC info, and was refunded pretty quickly. I got the full AXE FX III now, so no more need to look for FM9 deals.
Why wouldn't you be skeptical, when they're in such short supply, and used examples are commanding prices above even the factory price?

Why wouldn't you be skeptical, when they're in such short supply, and used examples are commanding prices above even the factory price?
In hindsight, I should have been more skeptical, but I have gotten steals on reverb that were legitimate as well. They are really protective of buyers in scams as well, so it mitigates a lot of the risk.

Our lead guitarist wants to "Fractalize" in the near future. The other day he was texting me Reverb listings for AF3s and FM9s. The asking prices were just plain bonkers, like $500-$1000 above what you could get one for NEW. The gall of some people, I STG.

Our lead guitarist wants to "Fractalize" in the near future. The other day he was texting me Reverb listings for AF3s and FM9s. The asking prices were just plain bonkers, like $500-$1000 above what you could get one for NEW. The gall of some people, I STG.
demand, supply, n all that jazz

Reverb was ruined when Etsy bought them out.
I didn't know that.

What other alternatives, or better places to buy used do you guys use? I guess I'll be driving 3.5 hours to Chicago & St. Louis to music stores. I live right in the middle of IL. I thought about going to Sweetwater's place too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom