Frapple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CactusTone

Inspired
For all you Mac users out there, does any of this sound familiar?

New product with increased performance . . . and at the same price point of the previous generation.

Except!
1) You can't use your old peripherals with it, you have to buy the new "Frapple" proprietary pedal with the new proprietary connection.
2) Units are being hyped and pre-ordered on their specs-on-paper alone. Actual performance is yet to be seen (heard) in real world applications.

Don't get me wrong, the XL II+ was the best gear purchase I ever made. I want to love the Axe III, but I also want to really hear it to make sure it's sonically superior. If it is truly superior, then I feel the new configuration (and price tag) is warranted. Please, Fractal, let us really hear what this thing can do.

Per my previous thread, I am aware of the whopping 3 videos and single Sound Cloud demo that are out there. These are hardly good representations of increased ability, however. The players are all great, and Cooper's video has wonderful production, but 1) can Brad achieve the same tone on the Axe II? If not, show us how the III is improved. 2) Same for Larry. 3) For Cooper's video: 9 guitars at once, playing single note parts does not show off the complexity of tone that a guitar into an "amp" can achieve.

Finally, I really wish the players who were given the honor of Beta testing the III would put out more comprehensive content showing off its capabilities/similarities.

:rolleyes:

It’s not just about tone and sound. Fractal has proven they can deliver that. This is a new hardware platform. If you don’t need the functionality it is delivering move on.

Oh ye of little faith.....

I would tend to believe a plethora of demo videos will be following ASAP. FAS has never, never (did I say never?) let me (us) down and I have 100% faith when Cliff, M@ and the rest of the FAS team tell us how good things are. They have never been one to hype things.

As far as not having full functionality with old peripherals on the new hardware..... you can't always have everything. And the MFC will still work with the III just like a midi controller from another company would. I would like for it to have been able to but I'm more than happy to move on and experience what "I" believe will be an upgrade - again based on my faith in FAS.

But that's just my opinion. :D

New platform, new capabilities. What you are buying into is to be onboard. Fractal/Cliff has earned a reputation as a competent skipper, growing the product for existing users and taking things to the next level. It is a fun experience.

I agree, Fractal should definitely release some videos on two things:
1) How it sounds. I think the Larry Mitchell video where the Axe-Fx 2 was compared to real tube amps was fantastic, something similar to showcase the Axe-Fx 3 capabilities would be a good idea.
2) How you operate it. Lots of things like shortcuts etc are not apparent just from looking at screenshots so showing off the workflow improvements is a good idea.

The Apple parallel is not too of the mark though. Smartphones right now are getting faster etc but are not getting any real improvements that make them better to use. So far the Axe-Fx 3 is similar to me where I am already happy with the Axe-Fx 2 in terms of sound and feel so just making it possible to cram in more effects and having marginally better sounding modeling are not enough to make me upgrade.

New flexibilities.

Admittedly, like some of us, been using an old controller, All-Access throughout since Ultra and Axe II. Works perfect, like a tank, never failed. I suspect our old midi controllers like this will work great with the Axe III as well. Simple, old way of doing things, but kind of heavy and don’t really need all the buttons. MFC wasn’t different enough for me to change.

With the new FC layouts, though, am very interested in how this would work. I like the idea of the FC6 with less buttons, smaller size, one cord, and maybe easier to program and less weight. Sounds easier all around.

Since we are comparing to Apple, seems kind of like letting go of the iPhone audio jack, and the home button. What about my old accessories that won’t fit now? Thought it was bad idea at first, thought I would miss them, but am very happy with the user experience since getting the iPhone X.

You can't compare Apple with Fractal, I think. Apple is a kraken that (almost) doesn't pay any taxes at least in Europe. They don't pay minimum wages in China - read the reports. I use a lot of Apple products but when it comes down to it Apple together with (insert name) are the downside of capitalism.
Fractal on the other hand is "small" business compared to Apple and Cliff always pays his taxes, I guess...

No one forces you to buy new stuff.

But when people buy new stuff they expect it to even more awesome than the previous.
I bet the III will be even more awesome than the II XL I have right now.

This is written on my 8 yo Apple MacBook Pro which still works flawlessly for everything.

Don't get me wrong, the XL II+ was the best gear purchase I ever made. I want to love the Axe III, but I also want to really hear it to make sure it's sonically superior. If it is truly superior, then I feel the new configuration (and price tag) is warranted. Please, Fractal, let us really hear what this thing can do.

Nobody on here is expecting any whopping sonically superior tones when the III launches or even soon after.......it's 99% about the new features right now which are impressive for sure. The fact that it will be the flagship which will be so much more powerful than the other units, and therefore Cliff will naturally be primarily focused on 'his new precious' going forward is just pure sweet gravy baby!

Don't get me wrong, the XL II+ was the best gear purchase I ever made. I want to love the Axe III, but I also want to really hear it to make sure it's sonically superior. If it is truly superior

Thats the issue many here have, they want superior changes, but seem to completely miss how this is an evolution over time, over firmware updates. The Axe Fx II today is superior to what it was day 1 it was launched to replace the ULTRA.

Besides this, this is a completely new platform that will allow Fractal to continue its sonic superiority over any other competitors giving it the power and resources to implement innovations as it has been done with the current platform.

Do you want your new Axe Fx III to be superior to your XL?, ok, wait a year and buy one.

In b4 the lock. Be a man. Vote with your wallet and/or start another company that is "better" run by your standards if you have an issue. Goes for any product. No one owes you anything in this world.

Thats the issue many here have, they want superior changes, but seem to completely miss how this is an evolution over time, over firmware updates. The Axe Fx II today is superior to what it was day 1 it was launched to replace the ULTRA.
Nailed it.

Do you want your new Axe Fx III to be superior to your XL?, ok, wait a year and buy one.
...twice!

The Axe II sounded pretty much just like the Standard and Ultra when it came out, but its vastly superior hardware allowed for significant tonal improvements over the years that followed. The Axe III will be no different in that regard. The current Axe III firmware probably sounds very very similar to the latest Axe II firmware, but it's got significantly more room to grow. What the Axe II does at 90% CPU, the Axe III can do at probably closer to 25% CPU.

Patently untrue.

Well, in all honesty, it's partially true. You can use the MFC by midi with the III but you lose Axe-Fx Mode even though you can get that by midi with the current Axes. I'm not sure why they can't get the new midi block to communicate with the MFC so you don't lose any functionality. Not a major deal breaker but still...

What your doing is buying a ticket on the next train, It's not just about sound improvements, it's about the evolvement of a product. Life isn't about birth then death...it's about the journey between birth and death that is the most important. You can say buying the new product (Axe III) is the birth of that product and you get to enjoy all the in between stuff until version 4 comes out. It is an awesome ride if you buy the ticket. You don't have to buy the ticket, you can enjoy what you got, because what you got is still leaps beyond what others got...

I see a lot of people complaining lately, which is interesting to me. We all know how this works by now. they have been around since 2007. You buy the latest and you get the updates. You have the last version, that will keep getting support until it becomes the next Ultra.

I say proliferate the world with Axe III's eventually they will be sold at a discount when the 4 comes out.

Fractal is not apple. Fractal isn't blowing smoke up your butt! or making your II slower....Don't get me started on apple...And I am an Apple fanboy right now...

Price of progress. The new platform is going to be far superior in terms of control and stability. All the crap about Axe Edit and the MFC conflicting and timing out are a thing of the past. The new client server architecture eliminates all that. The cost? No support for previous controllers. Worth it? Absolutely. Holding on to backwards compatibility is the biggest drag on future development. Just ask Microsoft about that.

Well, in all honesty, it's partially true. You can use the MFC by midi with the III but you lose Axe-Fx Mode even though you can get that by midi with the current Axes. I'm not sure why they can't get the new midi block to communicate with the MFC so you don't lose any functionality. Not a major deal breaker but still...
Re-read what he said. There is not a shred of truth in what he wrote. You're putting words where none were. In all honesty, his statement is entirely false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom