Frank Zappa's lead tone in Watermelon In Easter Hay

Very nice song yes. I heard someone playing it a long time ago. On an air base in Korea. I went up to the barracks and knocked on the door to ask who it was. Just listened to it a couple weeks ago.

Have you tried the factory preset Dweezil's Bassguy with a Strat?
Let me do that. I just got the feeling that something more was going on here, compression, just a bit of saturation, it has a glassy feel. It is one hell of a recording, I wonder what they did to the track after it was laid down.

this is the very first time Dweezil performed it live (with Axefxof course) , at the Beacon in NYC Halloween 2013 a very emotional moment as it has a special place in the Zappa family..captured on my IPhone

I've watched another angle of this performance many times. So touching.

This is a beautiful tone. Just incredible track by Frank.

Man I haven't listened to this track in so many years, Joe's used to be in many 8-track players and cassettes back then. Just listened to it for the first time in probably 30 years and It instantly took me back to sooooo many moments in the past, lots of 3:30am party-is-tailing-off fun times...old girlfriends... sitting in the car getting high with friends in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, staring at the sky in pure silence, one with the moment. It's amazing what music can do....like stepping into a mental time machine. I can smell the night...the car...

A special track to be sure, and you're right that lead tone is just pure and crisp and beautiful. I miss Frank.

I haven’t tried it, but it sounds to me like you could produce that sound without an amp and cab. Ie, it’s DI. Compressor, eq, reverb, and effects may get close. If I have time I’ll try something and (if it’s of any use), will share. May take days though,

(Edit) the second half obviously has a drive and something else going on too. Very interesting.

Thanks
Pauly

Let me do that. I just got the feeling that something more was going on here, compression, just a bit of saturation, it has a glassy feel. It is one hell of a recording, I wonder what they did to the track after it was laid down.

Feeble attempt, and not really close - but if you grab a strat, 'n use the bridge and middle pickup position, this is sort of kinda nearly..

Thanks
Pauly

This is a beautiful tone. Just incredible track by Frank.

Attachments

• Z egg.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
In this Interview Dweezil explains he used the Eventide H9 "Dynaverb" to get a lot of the right sound for Watermelons, is there anything in the Fractal arsenal that does that? Or am I gonna have to go buy an H90 now!?

In this Interview Dweezil explains he used the Eventide H9 "Dynaverb" to get a lot of the right sound for Watermelons, is there anything in the Fractal arsenal that does that? Or am I gonna have to go buy an H90 now!?

I believe there’s a factory preset with a Watermelons scene you can try.

So you have! Thorough!
It’s 55 on the FM9
No scene called Watermelon on mine, there is clean FX on scene 5 maybe you meant that? Doesn’t seem particularly close to my ear. Maybe it’s exclusive to the Axe FX III?

So you have! Thorough!
It’s 55 on the FM9
No scene called Watermelon on mine, there is clean FX on scene 5 maybe you meant that? Doesn’t seem particularly close to my ear. Maybe it’s exclusive to the Axe FX III?
No. I guess I'm mis-remembering what made it in to the factory presets. Could have sworn I had proposed a Watermelon scene.

Let me see if I have it around here on disk some place...

• Love
Reactions: ESW
Back
Top Bottom