FracTool - for power users only

I could be wrong, but I think you had to de-privilege it so your Windows explorer window could interact with it. Windows blocks lower privileged processes from effectively escalating their rights by acting through a process with greater abilities,

Tried searching the thread but didn't see this asked, so apologies if I missed it. Just got my FM3 and launched FracTool to try and load my converted AX8 patches - I was able to convert the patches from the AX8, but when I hook up the FM3 the "send to connected device" image shows the FM3 but it's greyed out, and in the preset view the option to "send to fasDevice" is also greyed, won't let me send the patches. Is there a step I'm missing?

Tried searching the thread but didn't see this asked, so apologies if I missed it. Just got my FM3 and launched FracTool to try and load my converted AX8 patches - I was able to convert the patches from the AX8, but when I hook up the FM3 the "send to connected device" image shows the FM3 but it's greyed out, and in the preset view the option to "send to fasDevice" is also greyed, won't let me send the patches. Is there a step I'm missing?

I've had the very same thing happen. I gave up on it and haven't had time to go back & try it again for the last week but this was my experience also.

good tool but many people I have talked to on here about the fractool complains that if you convert a axe 2 preset to axe 3 it don't sound the same so for now I have stopped using fractool

if that's the case then they need to evolve with a new version of fractool to accommodate between versions that way the conversions should all sound the same

if that's the case then they need to evolve with a new version of fractool to accommodate between versions that way the conversions should all sound the same
Unfortunately, that's not practical. A given setting of bass/mid/treble/gain on the old modeling won't sound the same on the new modeling. Trying to figure out conversions for all possible settings of all of the amp models would be a monstrous task.

The whole idea of new firmware versions is to improve things. How can you improve something, yet have it be exactly the same as the old version? Even if you copied an Axe II preset manually, parameter for parameter, on to a III, it would not sound the same.

The whole idea of new firmware versions is to improve things. How can you improve something, yet have it be exactly the same as the old version? Even if you copied an Axe II preset manually, parameter for parameter, on to a III, it would not sound the same.
The idea is more at bringing the enormous bulk of settings forward so you have a big head start on setting up patches in the newer box.

The idea is more at bringing the enormous bulk of settings forward so you have a big head start on setting up patches in the newer box.
I know what the idea of Fractool is. I was replying directly to rickster71 as to why converted presets don't sound the same. It's the firmware differences & nothing to do with the Fractool conversion.

I know what the idea of Fractool is. I was replying directly to rickster71 as to why converted presets don't sound the same. It's the firmware differences & nothing to do with the Fractool conversion.
Yes. I was agreeing with you and expanding on the thought. :) Sorry if it wasn't 100% clear, was in the 'hurry up and wait' portion of a code deployment when I dashed this out....

That did the trick!

@guitarno - in FM3 Edit, I went Preset menu>Import Preset and navigated to the folder I had saved the patches converted by FracTool. Imported the one I wanted and BOOM, I'm in the rock and roll business.

@AlGrenadine Thanks so much!

@Arcalaus @AlGrenadine

Thanks! :cool: I will give that a try! FracTool was always a great benefit when I had my AX8. I am really looking forward to using it with my FM3.

Just got my FM3 and used Fractool to convert a bank from my Axe FX II XL+, then FractalBot to move it to the FM3. The patches came across, but it scrambled a lot of layout settings, creating overrides scattered throughout the 8 layouts (all the same: PP# 24). I reset them back to factory from the FM3, but still see them. Apologies if this was due to the presets themselves and isn't a Fractool issue, but would appreciate anyone letting me know if this is common on importing presets from older Axe FX units.

Edited: I wasn't sure which patch in that bank was creating the problem, so I loaded my presets one at a time and didn't have an issue with layouts, so it probably did have to do with one or more presets in that bank. However, Fractool isn't creating in/out blocks, so I'm having to add those manually, as well as reattaching cabinets, to get sound.

Last edited:
Just got my FM3 and used Fractool to convert a bank from my Axe FX II XL+, then FractalBot to move it to the FM3. The patches came across, but it scrambled a lot of layout settings, creating overrides scattered throughout the 8 layouts (all the same: PP# 24). I reset them back to factory from the FM3, but still see them. Apologies if this was due to the presets themselves and isn't a Fractool issue, but would appreciate anyone letting me know if this is common on importing presets from older Axe FX units.

Edited: I wasn't sure which patch in that bank was creating the problem, so I loaded my presets one at a time and didn't have an issue with layouts, so it probably did have to do with one or more presets in that bank. However, Fractool isn't creating in/out blocks, so I'm having to add those manually, as well as reattaching cabinets, to get sound.
Think about it more, things like different grid sizes etc...

Back
Top Bottom