FracTool - for power users only

Im trying to upgrade to 2.39 on my mac, using OS sierra. It loads the update, asks me where to save. When i click save, fractool shuts down without upgrading. I reopen fractool, and it says "upgrade to 2.39" again. Am i doing something wrong? Thank you!

Go to the download folder (or where you saved the update) and click on the saved file to install. I don't the nk it automatically updates. Also, i think all the install files have the same name, so remember to rename it with the version number.

Im trying to upgrade to 2.39 on my mac, using OS sierra. It loads the update, asks me where to save. When i click save, fractool shuts down without upgrading. I reopen fractool, and it says "upgrade to 2.39" again. Am i doing something wrong? Thank you!
Save the last setup where you want and launch it

Also, for the ones having crashes at startup, FracTool is macOS 10.9+ compatible only... Not my choice but the framework used requirement

Also, for the ones having crashes at startup

@AlGrenadine - My apologies if I'm hijacking the thread. I do iOS development for a living and I'm having crashes at startup. Thought it might help you to investigate crashes if you had some more data points. My gut feel is that the crashes are related to networking code. I haven't been extremely scientific, but I did try a bunch of things to see if my assumption might possibly have some merit. Feel free to PM if there's any additional data I can provide. I don't post much, but I'm on the forum MANY times a day.

TL;DR - If you're having crashes, and they are not related to MacOS incompatibility, try turning off Wifi.

Testing details below:

Environment:
Fractool 2.39
MacOS 10.11.5
Current networking environment: Connecting via WiFi, but I must enable VPN in order to make connections with the outside world.
Caveat: I see similar behavior when connecting from home where I don't require VPN.

Test 1:
Computer has been running a while. Wifi enabled. VPN connected.
Start Fractool - crash.
Crash report indicates a crash on the main thread as part of some networking code. (Rest of the crash report omitted)
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 org.qt-project.QtNetwork 0x00000001056c8425 0x105629000 + 652325
1 com.apple.CFNetwork 0x00007fff984a9a00 executionContextPerform(void*) + 1191
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9b74b881 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 17
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9b72afbc __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 556
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9b72a4df __CFRunLoopRun + 927
5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9b729ed8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296
6 org.qt-project.QtNetwork 0x00000001056c7835 0x105629000 + 649269
7 org.qt-project.QtNetwork 0x00000001056c8681 QNetworkProxyFactory::systemProxyForQuery(QNetworkProxyQuery const&) + 17

Test 2:
Restart the computer. (So Wifi enabled, but VPN not connected upon restart)
As soon as humanly possible after startup, start Fractool.
IT WORKED.
Immediately close Fractool.
Immediately restart Fractool.
IT WORKED
Close
Restart....crash. Same type of crash log.

Test 3:
Restart the computer. (So Wifi enabled, but VPN not connected upon restart)
As soon as humanly possible after startup, start Fractool
IT WORKED
Started looking around in Fractool - was kinda slow poking around
Clicked the AxeChange tab
CRASH
Hmm...

Test 4:
Turn Wifi OFF
Restart the computer
As soon as humanly possible after startup, start Fractool
IT WORKED
Could not reproduce crash despite starting/stopping several times.
Could not reproduce crash despite clicking on all tabs.

Test 5:
Building upon previous test, turn Wifi ON
Tried starting Fractool
CRASH

Last test:
Turn Wifi ON
Restart computer
I connected to VPN
I ensured I could browse web pages.
start Fractool
CRASH
Turn off Wifi
start Fractool
WORKED

My assumption is that starting Fractool "as soon as humanly possible" after startup may be enabling Fractool to launch before the network gets enabled. No *proof* of that, but it seems plausible. That at least fits with my limited tests of running it with Wifi OFF. Once a network connection is available (Wifi is ON. VPN is irrelevant), I get crashes in the main thread with references to QNetworkProxyFactory::systemProxyForQuery.

Very interesting. My mac is connected via wifi and i never experienced any crash though... I'll try to reproduce with a VPN... Can we get in touch on fb or via pm?

I Alex , today I was changing Cabs in the axe and rearranging things and presets .
I had an idea that maybe is impossible to add but anyway I want to share with you ... just in case .

It would be amazing to have the capability to "lock" cab ir to presets while rearranging user cab slots.
So when I change the user slot position we don't need to redo all the work for every patch involved within that moves to point to the new cab slot .

Pretty sure is impossible
Just dreaming :)

Hi Aga, well it's possible but too risky as it would have to poll all the presets first (FracTool already does that) then be sure the reorganization is done in FracTool too...
Anyway i've got too much work on FracPad atm and FracTool will probably not evolve a lot in the near future

Hey Al, I was wondering about the 'Amp Compare' feature. you mentioned earlier in this thread that all amp parameters are unchanged. But are the hidden parameters updated? What about any new default parameters? Just wondering exactly what happens when doing this??

I would love to be able to chose which page or pages are unchanged while comparing. Would be great for resetting amp blocks when a new firmware comes out. We could (for example) keep our settings of the 'Basic', 'EQ' and 'Speaker pages, but reset the others to the new defaults.

Just downloaded and rehearsed tons of presets - this thing is amazing! Dropped a few coins in the bucket. Thank you for the hard work and a great tool - super cool!

Hey Al, I was wondering about the 'Amp Compare' feature. you mentioned earlier in this thread that all amp parameters are unchanged. But are the hidden parameters updated? What about any new default parameters? Just wondering exactly what happens when doing this??

I would love to be able to chose which page or pages are unchanged while comparing. Would be great for resetting amp blocks when a new firmware comes out. We could (for example) keep our settings of the 'Basic', 'EQ' and 'Speaker pages, but reset the others to the new defaults.
Hey Moke,
It just changes the amp type, no other parameter is changed, neither the hidden ones. If you need to reset to default parameters, changing amp type in AxeEdit does it

Hey Moke,
It just changes the amp type, no other parameter is changed, neither the hidden ones. If you need to reset to default parameters, changing amp type in AxeEdit does it
Okay, thanks for the reply. It would be a great option to be able to chose which page or pages are unchanged while comparing. Something that Axe-Edit still doesn't do. It would make updating a little less painful.

I have a question about convertin my Axe FX II presets. I have sold my AFXII and bought the AX8.

Can i manually delete those blocks from the Axe FX II preset, that i don't need so it could convert "right" to my AX8. This is only for those presets, that are too CPU heavy for AX8.

Yes, if you load a preset that is too CPU heavy, the AX8 will just disable blocks as needed, and you can modify your presets thereafter.

Hi,

I just started to experiment Fractool, essentially because I have an AX8 and I'm trying to use Fractool to convert Axe FX II presets.
When I'm dragging a .syx file over the "drive" icon, I can see the preset like if it was in Ax-edit, however when I click on the Amp or Cab, I have access to all parameters but I can't see the Amp or Cab type. Am I missing something?

Hi,

I just started to experiment Fractool, essentially because I have an AX8 and I'm trying to use Fractool to convert Axe FX II presets.
When I'm dragging a .syx file over the "drive" icon, I can see the preset like if it was in Ax-edit, however when I click on the Amp or Cab, I have access to all parameters but I can't see the Amp or Cab type. Am I missing something?
Hi,
Scroll down to type parameter

Back
Top Bottom