FracTool - for power users only

Some other comments for perusal, that I found comparing an FM3 converted patch with it's AXE FX2 original, in case this may help for perfectionning fractool.
  • Compressor block (pedal1): Attack time value did not translate correct
  • Wah block : translates FAS for Clyde Wah, Mix translates 100% for 74.4%, High cut did not translate
  • Amp block (Matchless D-30) : Scene 1 controller linked to Input drive did not translate (values also did not). Eq frequencies did not translate. Global level linked to ADSR ? Input Boost Scene controller did not translate, pwr amp hardness did not translate,
  • Cab block Low Cut and High Cut, filter slope, room size : did not translate
  • Pan Trem, freq did not translate well (5 for 4.77), LFO type did not translate well (sinus for triangle), LFO duty cycle did not translate, depth not well 80 for 52. Envelope follower on bypass mode did not translate at all
  • Delay 2 not translated correctly (mono delay for a stereo tap), same for time values etc etc
  • Chorus : translated perfectly (analog mono)
  • GEQ : (10bvarq) bandvalues not translated, bypass mode modifier not translated
  • Delay 1 : mono tape for digital stereo, not translated
  • MTD Quad Tap : Mix NOK, delays & Tone OK but declared on tempo values (was : none), Time mod NOK, Ducker NOK, Master page OK but standard as is.
  • RVB : type NOK, ducker NOK, the rest OK

As a result, I can't say that patches do translate well from Axe Fx 2 to FM3, which might be normal BTW (must be very very hard do program all this), so for the next few patches I guess I will build up from scratch. Didn't have the time for a sonic test tonight unfortunately.

As for the MTD problem indicated in my former post, I see there's an input envelope section in the effect that should permit to arrange the crossfading subject : great !
It will translate better when the fm3 will be in sync with axe3.
The translation is done to axe3 better...
I have no time to maintain this as there's an update every week and it's a free software...

By the way, if you really wanna this to work, please provide a preset for each case (a source preset, gen2)

Last edited:
It will translate better when the fm3 will be in sync with axe3.
The translation is done to axe3 better...
I have no time to maintain this as there's an update every week and it's a free software...

By the way, if you really wanna this to wotk, please provide a preset for each case (a source preset, gen2)
Alexander, I never expected this to be perfect at all, it was just a check regarding one or two comments on the forum indicated the presets translated "well" from Axe Fx 2 to FM3. I'm convinced it is impossible to do that, and as you said for a free software above that. Thanks anyway, I appreciate what you do. It worked very well between AX8 and Axe FX 2 and you made me win a lot of time with that. Don't bother please.

Alexander, I never expected this to be perfect at all, it was just a check regarding one or two comments on the forum indicated the presets translated "well" from Axe Fx 2 to FM3. I'm convinced it is impossible to do that, and as you said for a free software above that. Thanks anyway, I appreciate what you do. It worked very well between AX8 and Axe FX 2 and you made me win a lot of time with that. Don't bother please.
No problem mate,
I'd be very happy if you could send a preset for each case by the way, i may be able to fix all these problems

Here's the Axe Fx 2 patch I tried to convert. I guess it really must be difficult to align all these parameters; there are so bloody much things. Also certain parameter have been regrouped on other pages of the effect blocks, parameter names slightly changed...If it is useful to you I can try to make an xls table with my return of experience per page per block. As for the modifiers, must be very hard to translate as every musician has a bit his own kitchening for that. Even if translated correctly there's little chance that a third party really understands what's happening and why a given parameter is controlled by a certain modifier with a certain curve....Also certain curves need adaption as a function of the PU that are used.

Attachments

• LL MATCHLESS.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
And this is what I made of it (not yest tested sonically speaking). I had to adapt also a bit here and there to stay under the fatal 80% limit; like suppressing a volume block and integrate the volume control to the cab block, hence suppress the second tremolo block that was controlled as an effect on/off. I will make use of a B-channel on the actual one and see of I can control it separately using the mix parameter (?). I use 2 exp pedals, EXP1 for wah that simultaneously adds an EQ and delay (Glenn Delaune special sauce...), then EXP2 for a small 3dB volume boost in case I feel I'm a bit low in the mix at a given time.

Attachments

• LL MATCHLESS FM3 (uncorrected).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • LL MATCHLESS FM3.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Here's the Axe Fx 2 patch I tried to convert. I guess it really must be difficult to align all these parameters; there are so bloody much things. Also certain parameter have been regrouped on other pages of the effect blocks, parameter names slightly changed...If it is useful to you I can try to make an xls table with my return of experience per page per block. As for the modifiers, must be very hard to translate as every musician has a bit his own kitchening for that. Even if translated correctly there's little chance that a third party really understands what's happening and why a given parameter is controlled by a certain modifier with a certain curve....Also certain curves need adaption as a function of the PU that are used.
Thanks, wouaw, all these remarks for only one preset ^^
It's gonna take some time until i find a little time to handle this, as i already have few bug reports to handle which are waiting since few weeks...
I may come back to you in order to clear some points and be sure we're talking about the same thing ;)

Thanks, wouaw, all these remarks for only one preset ^^
It's gonna take some time until i find a little time to handle this, as i already have few bug reports to handle which are waiting since few weeks...
I may come back to you in order to clear some points and be sure we're talking about the same thing ;)
No sweat Alexander, I also noted a bug in the FM3 edit (or FW 1.06 ?) regarding a difference of exp controllers indication.
IMHO I will surely remake this patch from scratch, but first must give it a shot tomorrow with a guitar connected...

Couldn't resist for a try....no sound coming out there, and when I call the patch from the layouts the FM3 hangs up. Something is seriously clutching with the modifiers I guess. Will redo this one from scratch to be sure. Keep on rocking.

Hi just got my FM3 and after a test drive with the stock patch's ( awesome btw )
thought time to try add transfer patches from fx2
Loaded fractool and managed to open bank A from the fx2 deleted patches I didn't want and saved as a new file.
However every time I try and open a bank file old or new fractool just closed without any messages.
Any idea what is going wrong using ver 3.51 on win 10

Do I need to extract all presets and import the individually ?

Cheers
G \../

Hi just got my FM3 and after a test drive with the stock patch's ( awesome btw )
thought time to try add transfer patches from fx2
Loaded fractool and managed to open bank A from the fx2 deleted patches I didn't want and saved as a new file.
However every time I try and open a bank file old or new fractool just closed without any messages.
Any idea what is going wrong using ver 3.51 on win 10

Do I need to extract all presets and import the individually ?

Cheers
G \../
Share the problem bank file if you want to have a chance to get this fixed ;)

Hi Al
See attached the trimmed version of the bank A files from my FXII converted to FM3 format
Fractool has now decided to stay open and says simply it can't open the file.
Made a second file of the same selection and this file too wont open in fractool.

However I have managed to extract all the individual files and I can transfer them individually to my FM3
When I tried to import individual file it didn't give me the option for banks d & e on the fm3 it only gave me the option for banks A B C !!

strange
cheers
G \../

Attachments

• 201002-210650-bank-A(FM3).syx
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Hi Al, is it possible for me to add an Output 3-4 Block to all my presets at one time ?
If not, can we add it to a Wish List?

Last edited:
No sweat Alexander, I also noted a bug in the FM3 edit (or FW 1.06 ?) regarding a difference of exp controllers indication.
IMHO I will surely remake this patch from scratch, but first must give it a shot tomorrow with a guitar connected...
The sound problem was the return1 block that implements at volume 0 when inserting. Anyway I had a lot lot of artifacts with the modifiers blocking the translated patch, maybe because it was a bit heavy in CPU load and a lot of modifiers. I'd recommend to do the conversion manually, it's a bit more work but with the quickbuild in FM3 Edit this goes quite fast and also this permits one to really dig all the effects and amp parameters of the FM3 vs the block parameters of FX2 in the mean time.

I just got my AF3 yesterday so I am trying to build my main AF2 presets on the AF3. When messing around with the Wah block I noticed that something may be off with the Resonance parameter.

That's a screen capture of the AF2 preset directly from the AxeEdit:
Wah1.JPG

And that's a screen capture from the FracTool of the very same AF2 preset:
Capture.JPG

All other values seem OK (taking under consideration any number rounding etc.) except for the Resonance (Res).

Am I doing anything wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom