I reproduced this test on my rig, only I didn’t use the same IR, but the stock choices for both...l had not used UAD DS model before, mainly cuz it is one of the few that that is not Unison-enabled (the newest UAD /Friedman offering, the Buxom Betty, is excellent in Unison).....but playing them together in panned hard stereo, even knowing which was which, was scary close, but the FAS with AXFXIII mojo, won in my private battle.
Thank you for your comment!
Do you know that I never use Unison? I tried it several times, but I prefer to put the amp on insert. Also for management. Maybe in the Unison, I put a preamp of the Neve like 1073, or an SSL4000 ... However they say that the Unison, is for the character of the guitar or something ...
Yes I tried the Buxom Betty, incredible ... although for my kind, I go on more aggressive amps, but that's very nice. Let's say I like everyone! Even the Marshalls!

actually I was mistaken,.. the UAD Dirty Shirley IS Unison enabled ......!
Thank you for your comment!
Do you know that I never use Unison? I tried it several times, but I prefer to put the amp on insert. Also for management. Maybe in the Unison, I put a preamp of the Neve like 1073, or an SSL4000 ... However they say that the Unison, is for the character of the guitar or something ...
Yes I tried the Buxom Betty, incredible ... although for my kind, I go on more aggressive amps, but that's very nice. Let's say I like everyone! Even the Marshalls!

In part you were wrong :) Well I do not know inferior, certainly different ... the A definitely has a bigger sound and for my way of playing, I feel closer... de gustibus :)

Dang! So A is UAD? I did not see that coming. Everyone here pretty much universally preferred A. I suspect if we all had a chance to try the UAD sims in person, preferences would shift rather quickly. This does go to show that you don't need the best to get quality tones. Also, I feel amp settings were different enough that the main factor influencing everyone's preference was how the settings fit with the riffs you played. The lower gain of A allowed things to clean up in a more pleasing way than did B. Everyone seemed to like the darker tone a bit better as well.

All the UAD plugins I've tried are stellar, if not overpriced and tied to weak and overpriced hardware. Do all DS amps sound the same? Do the UAD virtual pots match the real world positions/tapers?

They sound very similar, but with different eq. Without the real thing for comparison....

Dang! So A is UAD? I did not see that coming. Everyone here pretty much universally preferred A. I suspect if we all had a chance to try the UAD sims in person, preferences would shift rather quickly. This does go to show that you don't need the best to get quality tones. Also, I feel amp settings were different enough that the main factor influencing everyone's preference was how the settings fit with the riffs you played. The lower gain of A allowed things to clean up in a more pleasing way than did B. Everyone seemed to like the darker tone a bit better as well.
The settings were the same, of course UAD has less control parameters ... there are just the front controls, like in the real amp and something behind, but nothing that Fractal has. In my opinion it goes very well, I repeat ... they are two different things, I love them both. A beautiful sound does not exist universally, the best sound is the one with which you feel comfortable playing. Obviously this is my humble opinion :)

All the UAD plugins I've tried are stellar, if not overpriced and tied to weak and overpriced hardware. Do all DS amps sound the same? Do the UAD virtual pots match the real world positions/tapers?

They sound very similar, but with different eq. Without the real thing for comparison....
I feel good, regardless of the amp sim, there are some mixing and mastering plugins that are really scary. Like all good things, they cost, I know ... the quality you pay ... there is a video on YouTube where you compare the real Dirty Shirley with Uad. What not to believe. It is basically the same, as you said, change the equalization, but ... you can intervene safely.

Something tells me next firmware Cliff revisits the Dirty Shirley ;)

Didn't really sound like anything different to me that couldn't be eq'd out or in. I preferred A as it was thicker.
Hey Dave! Thank you! This is a good news! I also like how it is now :) anyway I thank you!

The hardware for me is too good! Very massive and also the look is very pleasant... de gustibus :)

A - UAD makes some great stuff as well...
I have their Silver Jub and its awesome...
they have limitations of course
Why limitations? What do you mean? With external IRs, there are really many possibilities ... those included in any way are already excellent and there is so much choice...

Something tells me next firmware Cliff revisits the Dirty Shirley ;)

Didn't really sound like anything different to me that couldn't be eq'd out or in. I preferred A as it was thicker.
The question is what does the *amp* sound like at those settings. A modeler is supposed to be accurate not always sound subjectively ‘better’ than some other modeler at some arbitrary setting.

Neither of those tones were particularly good for my taste.

So, It is worth a revisit on Cliffs side.but without a baseline it is a meaningless exercise as far as making judgments goes. Shrug.

Last edited:
The question is what does the *amp* sound like at those settings. A modeler is supposed to be accurate not always sound subjectively ‘better’ than some other modeler at some arbitrary setting.

Neither of those tones were particularly good for my taste.

So, It is worth a revisit on Cliffs side.but without a baseline it is a meaningless exercise as far as making judgments goes. Shrug.
Keep in mind that this comparison as I wrote, the same settings have been used, I mean the basic ones for both models. I have not been trying to create a nice guitar sound, but a basic guitar sound.

Back
Top Bottom