I think the thing to consider, though, is stock settings...and IR used. For the DS I didn't really like either tone, but one did sound thicker than the other, but that just may mean the UAD is more bass heavy, or at stock controls it's more bass heavy. IRL the DS is more snarly then thick to me anyway.

Well yeah...you aren't really taking your plugin on stage
That is where Axe fills that "gap"
Let's talk about recording, studio work. Doug Aldrich, to record the guitars of the last album he did with Whitesnake, he used Softube plugins, that is marshalls for UAD. And he still uses them to record ideas when he's on tour.

I think the thing to consider, though, is stock settings...and IR used. For the DS I didn't really like either tone, but one did sound thicker than the other, but that just may mean the UAD is more bass heavy, or at stock controls it's more bass heavy. IRL the DS is more snarly then thick to me anyway.
Same settings and the same IR as OwnHammer.

Sounded to me like you could make B sound same as A by giving B one notch more bass, one notch less gain and a touch more volume to compensate.

Let's talk about recording, studio work. Doug Aldrich, to record the guitars of the last album he did with Whitesnake, he used Softube plugins, that is marshalls for UAD. And he still uses them to record ideas when he's on tour.
UAD is great...I use their products ...
But from my side fractal is a better option...
The "slight" differences in sounds in the "preset" world for either can be altered and then set up to make the other sound the same (if that makes sense).

But honestly The Axe is more comprehensive because it can do this in the studio just as well and live which UAD can't. it can ofter more amps which UA can't, and while the canned UA amp sound was fuller...the Axe could most likely match that sound-using some cab changes or EQ etc...factoring in what it sounds like in the mix etc and Dollar for dollar...its just a better solution for me..

I could tell right away that A was UAD. I'm saying this because I hear the "tell" in almost all Fractal comparisons. It's not the tone, it's the ...attack. The attack of the Fractal units is obvious to me every time. It's much stronger attack than most amps and emulators out there. For the way I play, I prefer a little less attack myself but I can see why the metal players like a stronger attack. I love everything so much about my Axe, I'm not complaining :)

I could tell right away that A was UAD. I'm saying this because I hear the "tell" in almost all Fractal comparisons. It's not the tone, it's the ...attack. The attack of the Fractal units is obvious to me every time. It's much stronger attack than most amps and emulators out there. For the way I play, I prefer a little less attack myself but I can see why the metal players like a stronger attack. I love everything so much about my Axe, I'm not complaining :)

I fully agree, it's something I noticed too. We always return there, in the end taste prevails or at least what we seek, the sound we want to obtain. I think the perfect sound does not exist, in my case, for example, the perfect sound is when I pick up my guitar and I play with pleasure atteaverso a sound that I'm comfortable with both feeling and listening :)

This is a good example of how subjective tone is, while I agree with everyone here that’s saying example A sounds more full, and bigger, I still like the tone of B. The my ears it sounds clearer less “stuffy”. If nothing else I’ve learned how my preferences differ from others.

This comparison seems pointless to me, if not flawed. With such glaring differences in tone, why did you not work to smooth them out? What you've really asked here is, "Do you prefer a bassier tone with less edge on the overdrive?" Also, such static comparisons are like offering a recording of a guitar to help people assess how they might like playing it. Put the thing in my hands. Let me experience it. Turn the knobs. Look for things I like and don't like. That's how to shape my opinion.

I actually preferred B. A had a bit of a bloated low end that I don't really hear in the real amps. my guess is that the FAS model is actually closer to the real thing...

I actually preferred B. A had a bit of a bloated low end that I don't really hear in the real amps. my guess is that the FAS model is actually closer to the real thing...
exactly. The DS is oner of my fav physical amps....the second example sounds like the real thing, the first one does not.

exactly. The DS is oner of my fav physical amps....the second example sounds like the real thing, the first one does not.

I think it's a matter of taste ... do you have the original Dirty Shirley? Because a friend, Fractal friend who has it told me that A is very close to the real am. So at this point I do not know who to believe :) Many like more A and others more B ... In any case it is not a problem, I like and use both, both Fractal and UAD so ...

Back
Top Bottom