Fractal vs. Helix: Let the comparisons begin! (Video series)

Mitch Baker

I am very proud to present the first video in my series dedicated to demystifying the differences between Fractal and the Helix! This one is focused entirely on comparing amp models running through the same cabinet impulses, and I was very surprised at the results. Running an AX8 on 4.00, and the Helix is on 2.01.

I plan on doing functionality/user-friendliness comparisons in the future that are specific to the AX8, not just the Fractal firmware as a whole, as well as moving into cabinets and effects and such. Let me know what you think, I'm very open to ideas and criticisms!

EDIT: Adding the other parts to the OP as I upload them.

Last edited:
1st, buy a Strat. You have an actual reason, which is so much better than most of us had when we bought our last guitar. :)

I'm enjoying your work here. You might consider getting a good A/B box to make your swaps easier and quicker. I realize it introduces one more variable to the chain but I think the issue there is minimal and you can always swap A&B midway through for equability sake. I just think it would make your life easier and would facilitate quick A/B/A/B type comparisons. You had it set up pretty well though because your manual swaps are a lot faster than mine!

Yes, a Twin on 5 is really loud.

Keep it going. Objective comparisons are always fun.

Your presentation skills are very impressive...you're a natural. Your knowledge base and guitar playing skills are very impressive as well!! Well done!

Thanks much to all!

I'm enjoying your work here. You might consider getting a good A/B box to make your swaps easier and quicker. I realize it introduces one more variable to the chain but I think the issue there is minimal and you can always swap A&B midway through for equability sake. I just think it would make your life easier and would facilitate quick A/B/A/B type comparisons. You had it set up pretty well though because your manual swaps are a lot faster than mine!
Yeah my ABY box for some reason started adding a lot of noise whenever I tried linking these two together; not sure if it's the box itself or if there's something wrong with the grounding in my house. This way was definitely a bit of a hassle, but I'm glad you liked it!

Sounds good.
Maybe consider showing the volume rolled off sounds.
Show dynamics of guitar playing more more.
Cause I'm a Axefx, soon to be Ax8 snob that's where Fractal really shines.
Not sure if the Helix does that.
The first example hinted that the Helix didn't react to the different guitar playing.

I've enjoyed your other videos and there is a lot to like about this one. Excellent presentation with lots of professional elements. Your insight is on par and backed up with solid reasoning. Thanks for sharing. I've done a fair number of demos and appreciate what all goes in to them. Cheers!

Sounds good.
Maybe consider showing the volume rolled off sounds.
Show dynamics of guitar playing more more.
Cause I'm a Axefx, soon to be Ax8 snob that's where Fractal really shines.
Not sure if the Helix does that.
The first example hinted that the Helix didn't react to the different guitar playing.
I did a little bit of light picking with the volume knob all the way up with the JCM800 at 16:03, but now I'm thinking about doing an entire dedicated "dynamics test" video. Thanks!

Nicely done Mitch!

The Helix has closed the gap with their v2 firmware though I still like my AX8 and AX8 Edit. It's almost getting to the point where it's going boil down to do you like a color screen or a green screen as the tones are really close.

Woah, Mitch, you're a natural. That, and your knowledge of these amp models is a great foundation to help your viewers appreciate the contents of your video. Great job! (you shall not keep the "Rookie" label for long...)

Since you asked for suggested topics for future videos:
- Cab models / IRs : what comes with the two units, and what can be imported in
- Effects quality and variety : of course reverb, but also everything else
- Usability, workflow, signal path capabilities, unit editing and on-computer editing
- And maybe a quick assessment of the supplied factory presets

Go on, get busy! :)

Congratulations Mitch. One of the few comparison videos where I didn't get fed up with the presenting style and turn off part way through.

In your comparison the Helix was always brighter. Have you isolated whether this is due to generic differences in the modelling, or does the IR implementation also play a part?

Since you asked for suggested topics for future videos:
- Cab models / IRs : what comes with the two units, and what can be imported in
- Effects quality and variety : of course reverb, but also everything else
- Usability, workflow, signal path capabilities, unit editing and on-computer editing
- And maybe a quick assessment of the supplied factory presets

It would be very interesting to get a comparison of usability, workflow and editing. There's this idea going around that the Helix has a better user interface, and I'd like to see the evidence for that.

Not so sure about the value comparing factory presets. Too many variables involved. Plus it's an area that tends to get attention when a journalist has 24 hours to review something.

I am very proud to present the first video in my series dedicated to demystifying the differences between Fractal and the Helix! This one is focused entirely on comparing amp models running through the same cabinet impulses, and I was very surprised at the results. Running an AX8 on 4.00, and the Helix is on 2.01.

I plan on doing functionality/user-friendliness comparisons in the future that are specific to the AX8, not just the Fractal firmware as a whole, as well as moving into cabinets and effects and such. Let me know what you think, I'm very open to ideas and criticisms!

Great! It sounded to me that the fractal had a little more depth and complexity, if that makes sense? Your thoughts.

One thing I noticed was a very similar depth/Bass to each and every helix model. Of course we're all bias here. I also felt like each company has a certain flavor to their models. Not that one is better than the other type of thing but that I could probably pick out Helix vs Fractal. Interesting. As always don't knock anything unless you've tried and AB'ed it yourself :) Lots of tube users in my area have gravitated to the helix surprisingly. However, I'm fairly certain none of them have tried a recent fractal product.

Back
Top Bottom