Fractal saves the day!

Sharka

Experienced
Played in a ridiculously sweltering hot (temperature-wise) venue last night in Brooklyn NY. The AC was on the fritz which led to sauna like temperatures.

Aside from us all being soaked in sweat and to top off a nightmare scenario, my power amp fuse blew mid set. Almost freaking out, I remembered all the talk on the forum about FOH. So, In “MacGyver” moment I asked the sound guy to cut me over to line-direct feed and plug directly into the Axe FX. I turned on the “sims” and boom! Back in the game.

I never went FOH before, but this was fucking lifesaver to say the least. It felt a little weird without the big amp punch behind me, but it sounded very impressive. My band was totally fine with it, as well as the audience. Nobody really seemed to noticed a difference other than myself (because of the feel).

I was fortunate there was PA and sound guy that could handle the situation. I still prefer using a real amp, but it’s good to know you have a really nice alternative if needed.

What’s more interesting the next band wanted to use my amp (sorry, but that wasn’t happening). I told them ask the soundman for a DI box and go direct. Needless to say whatever he was using didn’t sound like a Axe FX.

Just had to share that simply amazing moment.

Thanks!

That's a great testimonial. I use a power amp onstage, but always give FOH direct feeds from my AxeFX. We play a lot of the same venues, and the regular FOH guys have been impressed with how great the AxeFX sounds when going straight to the board with almost zero EQ. This is exactly why I bought the unit: 100% amazing tone, completely perfect and consistent every time.

Dang, great story! :encouragement:

I haven't played in sweltering heat yet, but that has been on the back of my mind...wondering at what temperature the Axe Fx will start to shut down??

Anyone have any experience with a heat-related issue?

Thus endeth the lesson. Be prepared! Great story!

You can NEVER tell what's going to happen at a gig. After so much time, I'm prepared for pretty much anything (even an ancient V-Amp as an emergency backup.)

But I like to hear what the audience hears, so I have the same feed to my FRFR Atomics as what goes to FOH....if I lose my Atomics, who cares?

I'll bet you're furiously carving presets for direct now tho!

R

Back
Top Bottom