Fractal Review

swass

Power User
"K"... here's another review from the proverbial glass house of perspectives... from a "newbie" at that.

First off let me review the Fractal community as a whole:

Let me say, I've never been much into participating with threads, online discussions, reviews or social sites in general. Social media never been my thing for many reasons. But threads in general... if you're proficient at picking gnat poop out of pepper, then they're a great aid to catch a "general consensus" when you're researching/shopping for something. Some sites are easier to sift through for those golden nuggets of info more than others obviously. And some are a complete waste of time, (IMHO). But since this site is dedicated to Fractal products it does make this job much easier to find what one may need.

Now for a Thank You:

With that being said I do want to sincerely thank this community for being here, for all who partake and for Fractal for implementing it upon, (to what I feel) is a revolution in digital guitar technology. Where else are you going to find a company that is as dedicated to there customers in providing them with support and info when needed. Even in dire times for a troubleshoot. I think you'd be hard pressed other than reading a comparison drawn form Disneyland, (which was really cool).

Really though... the online support in almost real time, (at times from Fractal staff themselves)... Cliff included. THANK YOU. Free firmware updates that are some serious updates at times, in which I think Cliff does not get enough thanks and gratitude for. I mean this guy obviously painstakingly refines and refines... and refines somemore for the sake of his product and its reputation... his reputation which contrast itself on over for the sake of his customers with his ears lending an ear to the community to give them what they want in their black boxes. After all we buy them. Thank you Cliff for you utmost dedication to your product and customers.

I also have to mention great forum moderators and those who oversee the forum to keep it running as smooth as possible which I'm sure can be a real pain at times for many reasons. People probably being the main cause of most of their frustration. So thank you guys for putting up with our crap at times.

Then there's the Fractal's community. Guys with real hands on experience to see another member through a troubleshoot. A real breath of fresh air in comparison to "the norm" out there in "cyber-tropolis". I've hung around here off and on never really being a participant since I got my Ultra. And knowing the Fractal community to be an unbelievably level-headed and invaluable place of knowledge to rest my head at times.

So for me to plunge in with both feet and leave a review for the Axe II... I figure it was high time to interject something in hopes for it to be worthy for others to take home. Did I mention this community was refreshing? Thanks Guys !!

Axe II Review:

Well time to stop the review on the Fractal community and onto the supposed main reason why I plunged in. I've owned the Axe ULTRA for a year and a half. Completely loved it but took a risk to sell it, (based on general consensus here) to finance the II. So I finally found it necessary for me to weigh in on the II because of how much more I'm impressed with it as a whole.

- The amp simulations are much more dynamic to me. More responsive to the hands. Fuller. Tighter and dare I say it, somewhat "organic" which really doesn't make
sense when it's now maybe a new concept to try to wrap your head around with digital technology. (may have started something here).

- The new layout is great. Although it takes a bit to adjust to, it does save block space. Thus less of the CPU power being used for those parameters.

- The effects seem to be fuller and quite intense at times for me but that could just be due to the G2 and sims passing through them.

- Love the new balanced I/O 's. Now for some further non-guitar processing and one of the reasons I got onto the Axe II.

- Updating the firmware is much more a breeze with the USB onboard. Now I can stay home to make coffee rather kill some time and go to my favorite coffee shop for a cup of joe.

In some respect I thought I was going to miss my Ultra and have buyers remorse. Not so in the least. This is not to say anything ill regarding the Standard or Ultra. On the contrary. Regardless if you own GEN.1 or II, there is nothing on the current market in comparison that can touch these racks.

The Fractal community review just happened and was not planned but it has left me with a great impression in which I think is the reason why the review happened. Sorry for the gas and what seems to be a puny Axe II review in comparison. The Fractal community has left a great impression. I'll be back with more on the II.

Just scratching the surface...

Peace,

Last edited:
Great review and thanks for fuelling my GAS even more! Man, I can't wait for our friends at G66 to send me that magical email... :)

Back
Top Bottom