Fractal Recommended Stage/Studio Axe-FX Stand

favance

Power User
After watching the Adrian Belew Youtube video:

LogicVG said:

I too am quite interested to know what kind of stand Adrian is using in this video!

It does not look like any music stand that I have seen. If you look at the top (mount) for the stand, I have never seen a music stand w/this type of top configuration. It almost looks like some sort of "Rack Stand". It would be great if Fractal could recommend a source for this type of adjustable/rack stand, since for Live or Studio performance this would make a great addition to the Axe-Fx...Roland offers the idea stand for the VG-99... This could be something else that Fractal offered to make a few coins and provide us w/a recommended solution. In fact, it would be great to offer a few accessories (from Fractal) that would provide quick setup, transportable (stage/studio) setup for the Axe-FX (i.e. transport bags, quick setup stand, etc.). Any recommendations? Thanks.

That is just a standard music stand flipped around. There is a particular brand that uses that "U" shaped mount (where the base attaches to the flat top)...don't recall the brand...look at Sam Ash or Guitar Canter...they aren't very expensive.

I think it's a Belmonte...

I would not recommend this for live use as an Axe-Fx stand. I have two of these, they are great for music but not strong enough for an Axe-FX. I tried it when I just got my Ultra, it collapsed and almost sent my Ultra crashing to the ground. I could just catch it in time. The screws can not put enough pressure on the U-shaped bar to keep it up sturdily. The nuts are plastic, so more force will strip them.

I would recommend an ampstand, something like this for €29,-: http://www.thomann.de/nl/prod_bdb_AR_12 ... ml?image=9 .
Or a guitar stand, http://www.thomann.de/nl/prod_bdb_AR_12 ... ml?image=2 that would have the Axe-FX closer to the floor almost facing up. Very handy for tight spaces. And it can't fall far.

BTW, for music use, not for Axe-Fxes: Thomann (German store) has this one that's similar to Adrians: http://www.thomann.de/nl/thomann_orchesterpult.htm for €12,70, I'm sure in the US you can get these for the likes of $15,- too.

Sixstring said:
Dutch said:
BTW, for music use: Thomann (German store) has this one: http://www.thomann.de/nl/thomann_orchesterpult.htm for €12,70, I'm sure in the US you can get these for the likes of $15,- too.

Thats basically the type of stand he is using in the vid isn't it?...

This looks very similar to the stand Adrian was using. However, I agree, this would probably not be stable enough for Live use. One of the reasons I started this thread was to:

1) see if there was a Fractal recommendation for bags/stands
2) see if Fractal may, at some time, offer add-on's for the Axe-FX that had been tested and would augment the AFX (Stands, Bags, etc.)

thanks.

I've learned the hard way (before Axe) to avoid relying on anything that has a chance of falling over if you bump it. This includes those Gator bags that stand up, and the SKB stacking mold (slips off).

Unless you have a sturdy solution, recommend resting your Axe case flat on something solid. .... Carpet to Carpet if possible.

I'd be interested in a sturdy portable solution too.

favance said:
Sixstring said:
Dutch said:
BTW, for music use: Thomann (German store) has this one: http://www.thomann.de/nl/thomann_orchesterpult.htm for €12,70, I'm sure in the US you can get these for the likes of $15,- too.

Thats basically the type of stand he is using in the vid isn't it?...

This looks very similar to the stand Adrian was using. However, I agree, this would probably not be stable enough for Live use. One of the reasons I started this thread was to:

1) see if there was a Fractal recommendation for bags/stands
2) see if Fractal may, at some time, offer add-on's for the Axe-FX that had been tested and would augment the AFX (Stands, Bags, etc.)

thanks.
Yes, it's the same kind of stand. There are more expensive and slightly sturdier models, but the build principle is the same and I would not entrust my Axe-Fx to one. Mostly the differences are in using bolts instead of rivets, slightly thicker plate for the books to stand on. In my church we had 7 or 8 of these stands from 5 different brands.

Most of these things are actually pretty standardly available. I doubt Fractal could offer them competitively. Click the link of the ampstand in my previous post. That seems sturdy enough. Best make sure the rack can't slide off, though. I had my Ultra in a rackbag on a guitar stand for a while in the chruch bandstand. Although I was thinking of sawing it through and welding it at a steeper angle. Sometimes it was slightly wobbly, mostly because of all the cables from the back getting caught underneath or coiling up...

Interesting thread.

I think something something that can hold the Axe FX at a user-adjustable angle would be good because it would allow you to see the edit screen better. Other considerations are obviously strength, and also portability/foldability.

Cheers

I've been very happy with my Ultimate Amp stand.
I turn it around facing away from me & the AxeFx screen faces up toward me.
Very compact & strong for my 2RU.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=450568

ultimatekdc.jpg

I tried to buy the extension boom arm that screws on the top but it wasn't available in Australia. ???
I thought that it could double as my vocal mic stand as well.

Chuk said:
I've been very happy with my Ultimate Amp stand.
I turn it around facing away from me & the AxeFx screen faces up toward me.
Very compact & strong for my 2RU.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=450568

I tried to buy the extension boom arm that screws on the top but it wasn't available in Australia. ???
I thought that it could double as my vocal mic stand as well.

I've actually got 2 of these (for my old Rocktron cabinets). I thought about using w/the AFX rack...the only drawback is I'm tall and would have to reach down to adjust/tweak. It would be a great lightweight solution...

Do you use these Live? What kind of Rack Box/Bag are you using?

thanks.

Here's a pic of the way i use the stand live.
(excuse the mess - i hadn't finished soundcheck so i hadn't tidied up yet)

dsc0150crsmsm.jpg

I just fold it up with my guitar stands & leads and drop 'em all into a large plastic toolbox.

Chuk said:
Here's a pic of the way i use the stand live.
(excuse the mess - i hadn't finished soundcheck so i hadn't tidied up yet)

dsc0150crsmsm.jpg

I just fold it up with my guitar stands & leads and drop 'em all into a large plastic toolbox.

Humm, Have you ever had anyone spill beer on your rig... Or better yet have you accadently knocked the Axe off that stand?

Sixstring said:
Humm, Have you ever had anyone spill beer on your rig... Or better yet have you accadently knocked the Axe off that stand?

I had an X3 Live burnup because it was at my feet in a bar and some butt spilled a drink in it. That's one of the reasons I went w/the Axe-Fx and it will be on a stand behind me... I will probably put the QSC K12 behind me as well for this same reason!

Back
Top Bottom