Fractal Patch Contest

voes is the winner. :D

Some observations:
Excellent dynamics, expressive and nails 'amp-in-the-room'.
Covers a lot of ground with the knobs - including use of the input knob.
Cuts through easily without being thin and leaves plenty of room for the other guys.
Rewards an articulate player.
Does a fantastic job of covering Jeffs Boogie.
Works at a lower volume than you would normally expect.
Has a great balance between rhythm and lead tones.
Responds to different guitars in a huge way - all good too.

Nice work voes - please PM me.

Thanks to all who had a go at it. Many of the players that auditioned the patches quite liked others too, but when asked to choose the 'all-nite-long' patch, voes' was nearly unanimous. One thing everyone noticed was while voes' was the cleanest patch, it would go dirty better than the other patches would go clean. That's what ended up being the deciding factor. Another factor was the 'amp-in-the-room' thing. All the players felt that element was more than covered and those folks that played through real amps (including some of mine) worked to tailor their tone in effort to match the presence of the Ultra/voes combo. That was really interesting. In one case, there was an old Super positioned directly under the right front monitor in the control room (which was reproducing voes patch) and voes' patch matched the Super's dynamics. That led to this SRV style battle-of-the-amps thing that was a riot. None of the other patches could do it.

For those folks that would like to test their FRFR rig for worthyness, just dial up voes' patch and have at it.

I am interested in the opinions of other forumites who have auditioned these patches ;)

Well, what can I say. I'm surprised considering guys like Jay and Scott were in competition. Never thought I would make a chance, but OTOH never wanted/needed to win. Seemed just fun to participate.

For those interested I included my 6 main patches I use. I replaced all the user Cabs with internal cabs and removed all the controllers (except controller 1 for wah) to simplify things. ('matchless voes' is the winning patch)

Although it's a very very nice offer and I really like your studio, I will let the price go to the next in the row. My friend and I have a really nice studio, which can't compete with yours, but still is far more than OK. Also, if I would take the price I surely would be coming INTO the studio, not sending songs to america, because mixing/enginering is so much fun and I'm sure I would learn a lot from you.

Thanks for honour and my congratulations to the second in line for the price! 8)

Attachments

• Voes AC-30 TB.syx
    2 KB · Views: 270
  • Voes Chieftain.syx
    2 KB · Views: 244
  • Voes Marsha BE.syx
    2 KB · Views: 256
  • Voes Vibroverb.syx
    2 KB · Views: 252
  • Matchless Voes.syx
    2 KB · Views: 248
  • Voes '1959' Trbl.syx
    2 KB · Views: 296
  • Voes SLO-100.syx
    2 KB · Views: 265
Got a friend in China or India? You could outsource it then....

HEY! That was NOT fair! You forgot Malaysia & Phillipines, and that's not cool - especially since they're stealing our jobs which we stole from you in the first place :p

Ok fine, our outsourcing industry is a bit ridiculous. And annoying. And I'm not Chinese. Although I love their food!

*back to reading the topic*

anyone else have trouble with patches not loading??? others would but not these

Well, what can I say. I'm surprised considering guys like Jay and Scott were in competition. Never thought I would make a chance, but OTOH never wanted/needed to win. Seemed just fun to participate.

For those interested I included my 6 main patches I use. I replaced all the user Cabs with internal cabs and removed all the controllers (except controller 1 for wah) to simplify things. ('matchless voes' is the winning patch)

Although it's a very very nice offer and I really like your studio, I will let the price go to the next in the row. My friend and I have a really nice studio, which can't compete with yours, but still is far more than OK. Also, if I would take the price I surely would be coming INTO the studio, not sending songs to america, because mixing/enginering is so much fun and I'm sure I would learn a lot from you.

Thanks for honour and my congratulations to the second in line for the price! 8)

Hi-
Congratulations for the win, I'm even more curious how the winning patch sounds since none of these Voes' patches
will load, darn it. (My midi IS working, other patches did load, just not these.)

HELP!!!!!!

Cheers,
Joel

Hi-
Congratulations for the win, I'm even more curious how the winning patch sounds since none of these Voes' patches
will load, darn it. (My midi IS working, other patches did load, just not these.)

HELP!!!!!!

Cheers,
Joel

Joel,

sorry to hear that. downloaded them from this site and everything works fine here. Ultra v11

Congratulations Voes. Thanks for sharing. I did like your patch when you posted it. I'll have to try the other ones as well. Thank you for sharing all of those as well!

In spite of some very accurate Plexi tones, Jay's Brownface worked best against the widest range of material. Please PM me Jay, as you are next in line. I found damp and sag to have a big-time affect in the patch, and with damping increased to 3'oclock or so, along with a reduction of sag, the range available in both feel and tone set the patch apart from the Plexi's. Jamming at 100+ db at 15ft was good fun.

If I had known the Axe11 was just around the corner, my focus would likely have been to assemble something like a collection of 'legacy' patches that demonstrate all of what the 'power' FRFR users have been able to develop with Cliff's now 'mature' Std and Ultra. What voes posted is exactly that - the best from of a fluent tweakers collection. Thank you voes!

So here's a request - to folks like the Mods, Yek, Radley, TimmyM, Dweezil, Fractal, Raca, Lerner, list go on... the guys from the 'good-old-days' that lurk still - please leave a few examples of your finest work. :D

Last edited:
In spite of some very accurate Plexi tones, Jay's Brownface worked best against the widest range of material.
FWIW, I use a variation on the Brownface preset (with my own IR) quite a lot.
I found damp and sag to have a big-time affect in the patch, and with damping increased to 3'oclock or so, along with a reduction of sag, the range available in both feel and tone set the patch apart from the Plexi's.
One caveat: these two presets were built with firmware 10.03. If you auditioned them after updating to 11.00, they would have worked somewhat differently than they did when I created them. Also, I am not a big fan of the sound of distortion in the power amp portion of the amp block with very high values of damping. To my ears, the transition to distortion is too abrupt and the character of the distortion too harsh.

FWIW, I use a variation on the Brownface preset (with my own IR) quite a lot.One caveat: these two presets were built with firmware 10.03. If you auditioned them after updating to 11.00, they would have worked somewhat differently than they did when I created them. Also, I am not a big fan of the sound of distortion in the power amp portion of the amp block with very high values of damping. To my ears, the transition to distortion is too abrupt and the character of the distortion too harsh.
I took liberties with all the patches. With yours, I reduced the input level to a point somewhat less than required to bump the comp threshold right off. That eliminated a nasty brickwall of distortion that sounded bad. The Plexi patch responded in the same way FWIW. From there the damping went up and I found a good balance of 'pop' and feel without it being harsh. I also raised the bass from 0 to somewhere around next to nothing. Very touchy there. In the end it sounded great, especially at high volume. I do intend to go back and set up the input gain the right way. :roll

Forgot to thank you for the earlier help in describing what the comp was doing...thanks.

Do you use one of two IR's you posted awhile back with this patch?

Yek,

From your collection, what are your two favorite go-to patches?

Your contribution to the forum is invaluble btw - thanks :D

Yek,

From your collection, what are your two favorite go-to patches?

Your contribution to the forum is invaluble btw - thanks :D

Thank you!

Live I almost exclusively use Dr.Z (clean) and Shiva Ld (crunch, hi-gain, leads).

For those interested I included my 6 main patches I use. I replaced all the user Cabs with internal cabs ....

Did you match the Brownface with the 1x6 Oval by accident or on purpose? Works out pretty well! :)

Back
Top Bottom