FRACTAL INTERFERENCE WITH INTERFACE??

rdpar

Inspired
So I have an Audient ID22. Here's the problem: I get continuous static (loud) whenever I plug in an xlr or 1/4 inch cable from any of the outputs of the fractal to any input of the ID22. So , it gets more weird. This happens even if the Fractal is off and no power connected. If I disconnect the chord from either the fractal or the ID22 the static stops. It gets even more weird . When I have my guitar plugged into the fractal I still get the static UNLESS I turn my guitar volume all the way down and then it stops. If I unplug my guitar, , static. If I disconnect the guitar cord from the fractal ,, still static. I have tried different outputs from the Fractal. Different cables. I tried not looking at it. I tried holding my mouth different. I tried playing naked. I tried many combinations of cables. still get static. I should add that , I have been traveling (without my gear) for the past week and this just started happening when I got home. I don't know what is going on, so now I'm going to drink:) Any help with this (not the drinking:) would be great. Thanks

First, describe the "static" you're getting (a clip would be even better). Static is a specific thing, but a lot of people use that word to describe other sounds.

Second,

When I have my guitar plugged into the fractal I still get the static UNLESS I turn my guitar volume all the way down and then it stops...

If I disconnect the guitar cord from the fractal ,, still static.
These two things rarely exist together. Are you sure about both of them?

It sounds like a ground loop to me. Did you try lifting the ground on the xlr cable? It sounds to me like the guitar is the path for ground when you turn the volume down and the rest of the time it is going through the audio cable and circuit.

Thanks. Lifting the ground worked for the fractal to Audient problem . The sound is like an old radio between stations kind of static. So it seemed odd to me that lifting the ground would work since the static sounds nothing like a ground loop. But there is definitely some
thing bad wrong with the Audient. This has never happened before quite like this , however the static thing even with nothing plugged in , including the usb cable , has been an ongoing intermittent thing. I actually sent it in two times to be repaired while under warranty , and both times came back not repaired. I don't have to tell you how frustrated I am at this point. I just sent an email to Audient , and we'll see what they say. In the mean time , it seems obvious that I'll be looking for a different interface. The Audient , when working , sounds great , and I like it's features. Any suggestions for an interface similar that sounds great? Thanks again for the help.

I have an id22 and an ax8 and never had any issues like that. Just curious, if you unplug your monitors and just use headphones, do you still get the same noise in the headphones? are you using balanced cables to connect the monitors?

I have an id22 and an ax8 and never had any issues like that. Just curious, if you unplug your monitors and just use headphones, do you still get the same noise in the headphones? are you using balanced cables to connect the monitors?
Yes, and I get the same static even with everything unplugged except the power cord. You can see the leds lighting up. The issue is unquestionably the ID22. I have another very cheapbehringer interface for travel purposes and it works great , just not the quality.

Back
Top Bottom