Fractal headphone playing (coming from Kemper)?

Hey guys I'm new here but it seems like a super cool community.

I am on the FM9 waitlist (signed up 9-4...) I really have been digging Axe FX vids and am interested in moving to Fractal from my Kemper.

I like the Kemper and can get good tones, but I have hit a point where I am being held back by the Kemper making amps all sound similar. I really want a great Mesa tone for example and Mesas on Kempers do not sound all that much like Mesas IMO. They sound extremely similar to 5150s, and those sound extremely similar to JCM800s. Similar gain = very similar tone ime.

Anyways I am a headphones only player now. Baby and a small house. HD600. They sound great with the Kemper.

Any reason to suspect they wouldn't perform as well on a FM9?

I have read some posts on here saying headphones aren't ideal and wonder if that's a Fractal thing or a general thing. I personally prefer my headphones to the Yamaha HS-5s I was using. I haven't had a tube amp in 20 so years.

What do you think? Thanks!

I use the HD600 on the Axe3 which is the same ones I used on the Helix.

Both sound great through those cans. I still tweak presets for headphone playing but that’s minor changes for personal preferences.

You won’t be disappointed with these as your option.

I used the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH M50X with my Kemper and now I use them with FM3. They sound good with both.
Anyway I prefer Yamaha HS7 (even at low volumes), I didn't liked the HS5, they definitely lack of bass frequencies.

Headphones sound great thru FM9 , IMHO the headphone amp is superior to that in my lunchbox KPA..currently using Sennheiser 800HD.

If that's true then that's impressive. The KPA headphone amp doesn't disappoint.

I should mention that it will mainly be listened to through my Zoom-UAC-2 unless the FM9 turns out to be a better interface.

Kemper’s headphone amp is top notch for sure. Now that I’m FM9, I can’t say it’s a better one for sure but I’ve never noticed any issue with it and I’m pretty dang picky. It’s great.

I should try my 600 ohm headphones and see how it holds up.

Back
Top Bottom