Fractal Friday with Cooper Carter!

Episode 18

This is a really cool feature, but I would like to see it taken one step further. Particularly, to have a "Record" button for the snapshots! As you stated, when you are tweaking, you keep your hands and the keyboard macro to make these snapshots. If we had a record button, you could let your hands roam wild ;~)) I will definitely be using this as is, but if you can think of a way to automate this a bit (maybe even set how often you want a snapshot taken when in record mode, like every second or every 30 seconds, etc.), I would love to just hit record and then be able to access any change I make in any given session. Thanks for the great vids Coop, your really make it easy to wrap our heads around this stuff with grace, style and beautiful string vibrations!!!

The Snapshot video was so cool. I never used that feature before, but I can see that I'll now start to use that often! Thanks CC!

That's a fascinating video and I'm curious about a couple of things

Is that what certain products are doing with their "speaker emulation" cabinets and software? There is a powered cabinet on the market where you can select "Greenback", "Blue", etc.. Is it just an EQ of the approximate response of a particular speaker in a particular cabinet?

I also wonder if it were possible to create EQ curves of certain speakers in certain cabs but I don't know where you would obtain the responses nor how accurate they would be.

I remember the discussion on here but seeing it and hearing on video brought it all together. Fascinating, great video, thanks

I imagine those companies are doing something similar to this with EQ and filters. The Mission Gemini speakers have a knob called EmPower that takes the FRFR speaker into more of a limited cab-like spectrum.

Lesser modelers also relied on EQs and filters to simulate (approximate) different cabinets before Cliff pioneered the vastly superior IR technology with the Axe-Fx and changed the game entirely. I'm not sure there are any modelers left not using IRs because of that.

I guess you could find out the frequency response of your specific FRFR speaker and then try to tailor it to sound like a specific cab. But why not just use a great IR and embrace the full range sound entirely?

Episode 19

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what the advantage of leaving out the cab block is.

The filter block serves to limit the frequency response to that of a typical guitar cabinet or its speaker. So far, so good.

But why omit the cab block and replace it with a graphic EQ?

Roughly simplified the IR in effect are not much more than a multitude of EQ information - mainly influenced by the speaker load, the cabinet and the acoustic properties of the speaker. This EQ information is much more complex than a Graphic EQ can be. If only the graphic EQ is used, all the characteristics of the speaker cabinet are lost.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the cab block after the filter block instead of the graphic EQ? The unwanted frequencies are then already filtered out, aren't they?

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what the advantage of leaving out the cab block is.

The filter block serves to limit the frequency response to that of a typical guitar cabinet or its speaker. So far, so good.

But why omit the cab block and replace it with a graphic EQ?

Roughly simplified the IR in effect are not much more than a multitude of EQ information - mainly influenced by the speaker load, the cabinet and the acoustic properties of the speaker. This EQ information is much more complex than a Graphic EQ can be. If only the graphic EQ is used, all the characteristics of the speaker cabinet are lost.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the cab block after the filter block instead of the graphic EQ? The unwanted frequencies are then already filtered out, aren't they?

"All the characteristics of the speaker cabinet [being] lost" is entirely the point, here. The idea with this trick is to treat your actual, physical FRFR speaker as much like a guitar cabinet as possible. Introducing the cabinet block (whose IRs include information from microphones, preamps, room reflections, etc.) into the mix entirely defeats the purpose. We want to remove all the elements that contribute to an impulse response.

And you may not even need the graphic EQ in some cases, depending on what your speaker is.
The best way to hear what this is doing isn't to listen to my direct recording of the result on YouTube; it's to download the preset, or build it yourself, and try it on your own hardware.

And fwiw, an IR is far more than a complex EQ influenced mainly by the speaker, even in simple terms. If you're into specifics, check out the wiki page for great detail about the technology and process: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR)

Last edited:
Thanks for this. It's not something I thought to try. LOL. Silly of me, LOL

I have no idea why, but I like running the filter after a cab block. Maybe I play with the high cut, put it a little higher (6k, say) - just depends on the sound, if I like it.
In the cab block, I have a regular IR or two, and add the F2.1024 cab (it's called "TOTALLY FLAT"). I mix it in with the cab IRs. I'm thinking this just lets the full amp pass through unfiltered, and I can use the level on the "TOTALLY FLAT" IR to mix that in. Weird, but I like the sound sometimes, will play with it in a mix see how it goes
Thank you

Noice! Inspired to pull out my Strat tonight after a long period of neglect. I love these short style vids too. Always learn something new

Back
Top Bottom