Fractal Friday with Cooper Carter!

(I also commented this on Youtube)
I love using my acoustic with the AxeIII - I do use IRs, and it definitely helps, but Cooper got really far. I really like the Warm Stereo Chorus for acoustic, it just lifts it up - I would also always add a standard compressor block (most likely optocomp or tube comp) with my acoustic guitar. This is also mostly standard in all studio recordings of acoustic guitars.

@Cooper Carter, can you talk about the ideas behind your treatment of the mids?
First you boosted mids with the Tube Pre, then cut them with the graphic, and (I think) net boosted them a little again with the multi-band.
What's that about?
Are you just following your ears, or is there some concept behind it?

@Cooper Carter, can you talk about the ideas behind your treatment of the mids?
First you boosted mids with the Tube Pre, then cut them with the graphic, and (I think) net boosted them a little again with the multi-band.
What's that about?
Are you just following your ears, or is there some concept behind it?
I want the tube pre accentuating the playing response of the mids, I want the graphic getting rid of the mid timbre I don't like, I use the multi-band to bring back the response lost from then pulling so much mid energy out. Same/better feel, drastically better sound.

I was surprised that I could definitely hear differences in the sound of the three units, using the same presets.
I was not expecting that. I expected them to all sound exactly the same when using the same presets. They all sounded good, but not the same.

For you to be giving away your time and knowledge, is true testament to your character sir. If there were more people like you in this world we would all be far better off.

Thank you very much, your efforts are very much appreciated and you are a true gem on this forum!

Awesome playing and tone! You have many of the same DT favorites riffs as me. Question, for the C Std tuned riffs, was your red JP6 actually tuned to C Std, or did you use the Virtual Capo?

A very special #FractalFriday today, celebrating the release of Dream Theater's 15th studio album. Here are 37 of my favorite DT riffs on each one of the 37 amazing Mesa/Boogie models in the Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3.

Loved this video! You da man, Coop!

The riff with the Thordendal Vintage is exactly what I’m looking to get outta my MKII. What’s the name of that DT riff, btw?

This was awesome Cooper - thanks for doing it! Question for you (or anyone really) - I'm not a recording expert by any means but when I'm running my acoustic into Logic I get this:
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 1.41.21 PM.png
Very small waveform - I know this can be normalized or bumped up in Logic - but just wondering if it's anything to be concerned about with regards to output from the Axe in a live scenario where I'm going direct to a board. I wouldn't think so (recording is USB out correct?) but thought I'd ask anyway. This really helped me a lot with my acoustic live tone!

Use your meters (and ears) to check levels, not just your eyes.

The waveform may appear like this if you are in a zoomed out view, or you may need a pre-amp boost to bring levels up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom