Bug? Fractal FM3 USB re-amp latency

Antonis

I 've noticed that when I am reamping midi signal via USB, there is a slight delay on the recording.
In the image you can see the reamp track in grey being starting almost 50ms after the reamped midi signal in red.
I am not sure if this happens on reamps with real audio as well, or from DI that was tracked on the FM3, or from recording live yet
Can anyone else confirm this?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I did some more testing today, and I think it happens on live recording too. I have to move all my tracks like 30ms to the left. Is that latency on when I am monitoring as well?

[Edit: it was probably because of the latency of the DAW, not FM3's fault. Reducing the sample rate when reamping should mitigate this. I wish there was a delete thread button]

I 've noticed that when I am reamping midi signal via USB, there is a slight delay on the recording.
In the image you can see the reamp track in grey being starting almost 50ms after the reamped midi signal in red.
I am not sure if this happens on reamps with real audio as well, or from DI that was tracked on the FM3, or from recording live yet
Can anyone else confirm this?
You can edit the title - no need to delete the thread. Someone else might find this useful!

Turns out that this is a known issue. When you use the Fractal FM3 (I think axe fx too) as an interface, it doesn't accurately measure the recording delay so it doesn't compensate it for it correctly and you have to set it up manually, in the year 2021. No thanks, I 'd rather record into my focusrite and never use the reamp function.

So if you have switched to fractal as an interface and are wondering why your tracks suddenly sound sluggish, that's the reason. What a freaking disappointment.

I 've spent hours editing my tracks and trying to change my playing thinking my performances were too laid back. I suspected the issue earlier but I couldn't fathom that an audio interface released in 2020 would have this problem, when even the cheapest ones measure the delay accurately

I got exactly the same problem. I noticed about it, but cannot attach a link to my topic.

When I use fm3 as a USB audio device, the signal is recorded with a large delay relative to the grid. I’m using Logic Pro X. This happens with any buffer size and the delay value is almost the same, with a 1024 sample buffer even less than 128. I did an experiment and made a click reamp via FM3 over USB and over analog input/output. When I reamp via USB, delay time (out os sync) is much greater than reamp through analog in/out. So I just can't use FM3 as an audio interface for recording and reamping. Although this is one of the main reasons why I bought it. I don’t have this problem with any device and amp modeler before. I really hope you fix it. FW 1.06
Снимок экрана 2020-10-04 в 21.55.17.png

This has come up countless times on the forum. In summary;

1) No, the problem is not latency. All interfaces have latency. The problem is an error in the amount of latency reported to the DAW. This error causes the recorded audio to be misaligned.
2) Other interfaces do not seem to have this problem, only Fractal Audio devices.
3) You can workaround this error by measuring it and entering that value into your DAW’s recording delay correction preference (different DAWs use a different name for this preference).
4) When the same problem is reported over and over like this, it would be a big help to users if there was an FAQ page on the Fractal site that addressed it.

Back
Top Bottom