Fractal FC-6 vs FC-12 vs Mastermind LT vs GT10

jago_ff

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been discussed many times in the forum, but I can't find the right thread.

In my country, I can get four options of controllers for the AXE FX 3

RJM Music Mastermind LT
RJM Music Mastermind GT10
Fractal Audio Systems FC-6
Fractal Audio Systems FC-12

As I have minimal experience with the AXE FX and none with MIDI controllers, I wanted to ask you what you think and the main differences between the RJM and the FC; then I understand that if they have 6 or 12 switch depends on the need of each one. Still, I'm not sure if they have another difference to consider besides the number of switches.

Could you please guide me? Any comment is welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am a Mastermind LT user.

The reasons why I went with the LT (instead of FC-6) is:
  • The familiarity I have with the RJM system/editor. I've been an RJM user across the PBC10 and now the PBC6 on my pedalboard - the LT uses the same editor so it was simple for me to learn how to program the AxeFx's MIDI.
  • It's a smaller unit than FC-6 so it fits in my gig bag (I don't want to carry extra bags).
  • I can heavily design a footswitch to do what I want (within some limitations). I've got several multifunction footswitches that let me program sounds/presets that make sense for me when playing live. I'm sure I could develop a workaround with a FC unit but with the LT I know what I can do and don't have to think about it :)
For you, if you're not familiar with the RJM product range and MIDI programming - I'd probably recommend the FC units. It's programmable within Axe-Edit, you don't need to mess about with MIDI commands unnecessarily, and the FC functions will cover the majority of your needs. If you have a very specific set-up that you want to build then maybe the LT or GT is worth it.

I'd suggest you spend an hour or so and map out how you'd want to use a foot controller and then decide based on the ease of use and functionality for the options you listed. All of them are great - so you won't go wrong.

For you, if you're not familiar with the RJM product range and MIDI programming - I'd probably recommend the FC units. It's programmable within Axe-Edit, you don't need to mess about with MIDI commands unnecessarily, and the FC functions will cover the majority of your needs. If you have a very specific set-up that you want to build then maybe the LT or GT is worth it.

I'd suggest you spend an hour or so and map out how you'd want to use a foot controller and then decide based on the ease of use and functionality for the options you listed. All of them are great - so you won't go wrong.

Thanks that's a very good point as I have no experience with midi controllers. It is only for home studio use

My first question, and I think the most important one, is: why MIDI? What other MIDI gear is in your rig? I ask because the FC-12 is not exactly a MIDI controller. It operates over FASLINK -- and while the Axe-Fx III can send some MIDI messages to other devices, this is limited. The trade up, however, is that in comparison to 3rd party products, it is the most tightly-integrated and easiest to set up and use. I believe you will find many customers willing to assert that the FC is a perfect choice for the Axe-Fx.

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been discussed many times in the forum, but I can't find the right thread.

In my country, I can get four options of pedalboard for the axe fx 3

RJM Music Mastermind LT

As I have minimal experience with the axe fx and none with midi controllers, I wanted to ask you what you think and the main differences between the RJM and the FC; then I understand that if they have 6 or 12 switch depends on the need of each one. Still, I'm not sure if they have another difference to consider besides the number of switches.

Thanks!
I think there are things you can not do with midi, and there are things you can not do with FC6/12.
As example, I cannot switch on/off the 6 Control Switches using Midi, but I can do it with FC6/12.
I cannot mute globally the inputs or the outputs with FC6/FC12, but I can do it with midi.

My first question, and I think the most important one, is: why MIDI? What other MIDI gear is in your rig? I ask because the FC-12 is not exactly a MIDI controller. It operates over FASLINK -- and while the Axe-Fx III can send some MIDI messages to other devices, this is limited. The trade up, however, is that in comparison to 3rd party products, it is the most tightly-integrated and easiest to set up and use. I believe you will find many customers willing to assert that the FC is a perfect choice for the Axe-Fx.

I don't know how it works, or what connection protocol they use, what I have clear is that I need something simple to switch between scenes, activate or deactivate effects, plus I have to add an expression pedal, but I have very little knowledge about this.

Thanks for your comment, I will read about FASLINK to know its advantages over midi in this case, I don't use any other MIDI device.

I don't use any other MIDI device. I will read about FASLINK
FASLINK merely allows the FC to be connected to the Axe-Fx with just one XLR cable instead of requiring you to use two MIDI Cables and an external power supply for the 3rd party products. That's very nice, but the real advantage of the unit isn't in wiring though -- it's the Fractal Audio Systems logo on the FC. It was literally designed from the ground up with the Axe-Fx III (and our FCs) in mind. It makes it easy to switch presets, change scenes, toggle effects on and off, and much more. You can customize switches using a feature called "EZ" or get deep into customization. Footswitching is not a one-size-fits-all world. People are extremely finicky about wanting things their way on the floor. The FC can work in a highly customized setup for Steve Vai just as well as it can for someone who merely plugs it in with defaults and never leaves the bedroom. And it offers a nice return policy if for some strange reason it doesn't work out for you.

FASLINK merely allows the FC to be connected to the Axe-Fx with just one XLR cable instead of requiring you to use two MIDI Cables and an external power supply for the 3rd party products. That's very nice, but the real advantage of the unit isn't in wiring though -- it's the Fractal Audio Systems logo on the FC. It was literally designed from the ground up with the Axe-Fx III (and our FCs) in mind. It makes it easy to switch presets, change scenes, toggle effects on and off, and much more. You can customize switches using a feature called "EZ" or get deep into customization. Footswitching is not a one-size-fits-all world. People are extremely finicky about wanting things their way on the floor. The FC can work in a highly customized setup for Steve Vai just as well as it can for someone who merely plugs it in with defaults and never leaves the bedroom. And it offers a nice return policy if for some strange reason it doesn't work out for you.

Thanks!!!

Sounds like what I need, thanks for the information.

Regarding version 6 or 12, is there any difference, even minimal, between the two, or is it just the number of switches?

Long time MIDI user (I had a Morningstar) and never wanted to change. One day decided to give the FC a try and…it was so easy to program and so much more effective that I sold all of the MIDI devices I had.

I have customized my FC12 extremely deeply (maxed out all externals, etc) and could not imagine how difficult the steps would be to do the same on another, less seemless, device. I had a midimate and GCP with the II before I had the MFC. I'd hate to go back to any extra effort on programming. The FC12 / Axe Edit III experience is a dream. I can't recommend it highly enough, and @Admin M@ is spot on, regardless of his biased opinion (which I don't blame him for one bit).

FCs are worth it.

In my country, I can get four options of controllers for the AXE FX 3

RJM Music Mastermind LT

As I have minimal experience with the AXE FX and none with MIDI controllers, I wanted to ask you what you think and the main differences between the RJM and the FC; then I understand that if they have 6 or 12 switch depends on the need of each one. Still, I'm not sure if they have another difference to consider besides the number of switches.

Thanks!

When the axe fx3 came out I could not use my mfc (fractal midi controller) with it. I really thought the mfc was awesome. However, had I bought an rjm then Icwould only have to invest in the axe 3 and not in a new footcontroller too. Right now I am saving up for a mastermind to go with my axe3. That way, when the axe fx 4 comes out I don’t have to spend exra cash on a new midi footcontroller again.

If you are an Axe III user, I don't think there is a better more tightly integrated solution as has been said. I love it and have FC6 and FC 12 depending on size of gig and whether or not I want to add on to my FM-3. They all are plug in play.

My only two points

- It would be nice to have more control switches in the event you do need to trigger external midi in addition to using them for things like amp boost or other modifiers. I'm sure that's on the list somewhere and maybe not a priority for most.

- I assume it will be upwardly compatible for the near future. I know a number of folks had to abandon their MFC for the FC's when moving from !! to III and while the tradeoff is worth it, it is a significant investment in the Fractal ecosystem.

MM

Regarding version 6 or 12, is there any difference, even minimal, between the two, or is it just the number of switches?
One very minimal difference - the FC-6 can be set up to have 2 "pages" of switches on the same layout. I am an FC-12 user (and love the amazing compatibility and easy programming), so have no experience of using an FC-6. I liked the look of it as a setup option when I saw it as a menu item in Axe Edit.

Like @WITELITE, I am very likely to end up with an FC-6 in addition to the FC-12 at some point. Gives me a smaller option for gigs where I need fewer pedals, as well as a mega option for "future proofing".

Liam

Last edited:
One very minimal difference - the FC-6 can be set up to have 2 "pages" of switches on the same layout. I am an FC-12 user (and love the amazing compatibility and easy programming), so have no experience of using an FC-6. I liked the look of it as a setup option when I saw it as a menu item in Axe Edit.

Like @WITELITE, I am very likely to end up with an FC-6 in addition to the FC-12 at some point. Gives me a smaller option for gigs where I need fewer pedals, as well as a mega option for "future proofing".

Liam

In my case it's just for home, I think 6 would be enough 😁.

Thank you!

I had the FC12 did not like it.. but i love my RJM Mastermind gt22 usin a 6pin xlr does everything you could whish for, great editor and great support

Why don't you like it? What does the RJM have that you didn't find in the FC?

… I need something simple to switch between scenes, activate or deactivate effects, plus I have to add an expression pedal, but I have very little knowledge about this.

While I truly love my GT16/AFX3 combo (and the big colorful button LCDs) it doesn’t get any easier/simpler to get great functionality than the FC controllers.

Freely customizable switches. For instance, you can turn on multiple blocks at once, or change their channels. The mini displays are larger too, I think.

Flip side is that you don't get the simple integrations that are built into the FCs out of the box. And price.

I'll concede that maybe these things are easier with another controller (don't have experience with RJM), but you can turn on multiple blocks at once with the FC controllers. On my setup, engaging the toe switch of the wah toggles between wah/volume blocks and also turns on a separate filter block for a volume boost. I'm still free to control the filter block with a separate button as well when I want a volume boost without the wah. You can get a lot of mileage with dual source modifiers and control switches.

Back
Top Bottom