Fractal FC-2 - new product suggestion

Doogz

Inspired
Hi Fractal

Love your stuff!

I've been watching people's creative ways of adding just a couple of switches to FM-3's. How about something like this:

1589266064062.png
(Please pardon my crappy photoshop effort!).

Something like this could be brilliant for people who want just that little bit more, without going to the full extent/expense of an FC-6. If this could be made in the Fractal form factor, with LED and LCD support, and at a reasonable price, it would get my vote/$$.

Cheers

Doogz

Hi Chris

Well, reasonable is relative isn't it - what do you think? :)

As a starting proposition it is one third of an FC-6. The FC-6's direct price is $USD 499, so how about $USD 169? That's a lot for two switches, but again I think if it had full LED/LCD support along with tap/hold l, somewhere near that price point would be palatable.

That said, we pay the Australia tax here. An FC-6 is $AUD 999 - approx $650USD at current exchange rates ... why oh why is that? How about some bundles here in AU Fractal?

$250USD/$350AUD for an FC-2 might be a bit rich.

Cheers

Doogz

No, "reasonable" is not relative when you are the company investing in the R&D, manufacturing costs, and marketing. Especially a small company that can't afford a market blunder that no one needs or wants. "Reasonable" suddenly becomes very narrowly focused.

I bought a 2-button stand-in switch for $29. Works great and I have no need for scribble strips. I think an add-on to the FM3 would need to do more than a 2-button stand-in switch with scribble strips at 6 times the cost.

Considering you can connect two simple momentary switches (Costs only a few bucks) to a single Pedal input and have exactly the same functionality as your proposed FC-2 (Just without the lights and scribbles) I think this wouldn't sell. And I have seen people build housings for these momentary switches, that are FC-2 shaped.

An FC-4 - Definitely.
If it could also have an extra pedal input on it - Cool.
Or how about with an expression pedal built in right onto it? Also Cool.

Many people control their Axe FX 3 with the FC6 alone.
If 6 buttons is enough, 7 for the FM3 is also enough.

The only downside to FM3 over the AX8 that I know, is that the rig is wider than AX8 when paired with the FC6. So, getting a bag is a bit more difficult.
A smaller FC expansion unit would fix the problem.
Or how about an FC3? Goes in front of the FM3, not on the side. You get 6 buttons. Keeps the rig tiny.

My point "reasonable is relative" applies just as much to Fractal from a commercial perspective as it does to a consumer considering a purchase.

If there is a demand and people want it, and they are willing to pay what is considered a fair price for the features (whatever that price may be), then go for it Fractal!

If it doesn't stack up then don't do it...

Anyway, it is just a suggestion ... :)

It would need to be FAS link to make the scribble strips etc work, which adds cost over just a basic 2 button switch. More so, it would need to leave the 2 other jacks free so you could still add exp pedals, while also getting more switches.

I’d probably buy one

Yep, needs FAS Link for full LED/LCD support, software support for layouts (OMG5?), and likely support for expression pedals, if that's the way FAS links rolls ... either that, or expression straight from the FM3.

A second FAS Link device does not receive power over the FAS Link connection so that would not work without using a power supply.

I could see an FC-4 with an included expression pedal, but I don't see much market for an FC-2. Of course, not everyone will see it that way.

A second FAS Link device does not receive power over the FAS Link connection so that would not work without using a power supply.

I could see an FC-4 with an included expression pedal, but I don't see much market for an FC-2. Of course, not everyone will see it that way.

Maybe a future product could allow daisy-chaining your own FC2 or the like, to build your own FC12 or above if you want... Kinda like lego...
But I guess, FM3 does not support that.

@Doogz do you own an FM3 already?
I'm asking b/c until you've tried the fm3 with the alternate function for the existing switches, you don't know what you really have.
Its too generous to call it 6 switches in the place of three, but having the alternate mode for the tuner, looper and FX that I rarely turn on off gives a it a lot more use, and that's just what I do with it, its user adjustable.

I have an FC6, from my III, and its awesome, but not something I'd bring with me for when live music is a thing again. That's strictly for writing / rehearsing. I don't do live looping or I would need it.

@Doogz do you own an FM3 already?
I'm asking b/c until you've tried the fm3 with the alternate function for the existing switches, you don't know what you really have.
Its too generous to call it 6 switches in the place of three, but having the alternate mode for the tuner, looper and FX that I rarely turn on off gives a it a lot more use.
The hold function?

I tried using the FC-6 with the OMG9 setup. It's awesome, but I decided I do not need to use it. I don't want to haul around the extra device, the FM3 and FC-6 together are too wide for my current pedaltrain board and I don't want to buy a bigger pedalboard. The FM3 with two stand-in switches is going to work for me. I actually made the decision to go with the FM3 and sold the AxeFX III and FC-3 yesterday.

Honestly, I don't understand the value in what the OP proposes.

You can already add a passive two button switch to the FM3. It is almost certaint that when you do, the functions of those buttons will be fixed (as in....you don't really need mini-displays to remember what they do). If you need more, the FC-6 is amazing.

I'm still waiting for the headphone version ... only invites for the non HP one here in Oz so far.

Will stand in switches (ie aftermarket or DIY) still give you tap and hold? I get that the switching part is easy to do - my original thought for FC-2 was to see full status at a glance, the same as any other (Fractal) switch.

Honestly, I don't understand the value in what the OP proposes.

You can already add a passive two button switch to the FM3. It is almost certaint that when you do, the functions of those buttons will be fixed (as in....you don't really need mini-displays to remember what they do). If you need more, the FC-6 is amazing.

If you add passive switches then you lose the ability to have to expression pedals. If the fm3 had a dual foot switch jack, and then dual exp jacks it would be a different story

If you add passive switches then you lose the ability to have to expression pedals. If the fm3 had a dual foot switch jack, and then dual exp jacks it would be a different story
That makes sense. In fact, it's the reason I picked up an FC-6 shortly after getting the FM3. I have two configurations for the FM3: by itself, or with the FC-6 and a separate board (which I use for several rigs) that has three expression pedals.

Thing is, if you're adding multiple expression pedals and need more switches, you're probably no longer worried about extreme portability. I'm toying with another alternative with a tiny two button passive switch and an EV-5....but I still haven't decided whether I'd use it that way.

Back
Top Bottom