Fractal fas Reverb

W

wildNcrafty

Fractal fas Reverb vst. Anyone else try it?

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Mac, it installed an AU, a VST, and a VST3. I've only tried the AU on my M1 (Apple Silicon) system, and it works perfectly. It is a 64 bit, intel-based plugin for Mac. The download includes both Mac and Windows installers for version 1.5.1

As I mentioned in my other recent thread, this is a mind-blowingly fantastic reverb. But I'll say it another way: it is everything I love in a reverb, and there is NOTHING WRONG about it. It hits the sweet spot in every way.

Based on my first impressions, it sounds like FAS has learned how to make a top-notch reverb, and then made it even better.

They've got their hands full with updates & improvements on their hardware, which is understandable. But I truly hope they will keep this side project alive. It's stunning.

I used it all the time but unfortunately I am almost completely using Cubase in Apple Silicon these days and so I've had to give it up.

I have a lot of Reverbs. I use FAS-FX almost exclusively -- not because it's made by the company I work for, but because it sounds great and has the controls that make it easy to get what I need very quickly. There are also some nice IRs in Space Designer (free with Logic) that I use for certain applications.

I have a lot of Reverbs. I use FAS-FX almost exclusively -- not because it's made by the company I work for, but because it sounds great and has the controls that make it easy to get what I need very quickly.

Don't suppose you could give the team a gentle nudge for an AS-native (universal) update?

There's virtually no PT session or Logic project of mine that does not have at least one instance of FAS verb. Best sounding reverb I own - and I have several world-class reverbs, both hardware and software.

How does the FAS-Reverb sound compared to the reverbs onboard the FM3 etc? Same, higher quality, equally to ultra-res or better?

Also interested to hear comparison to the Valhalla suite of reverbs. Similar, overlap, or does FAS-Reverb cover different sonic territory?

thanks for sharing!

how to we update it? the weblink in the plugin UI takes us to the FAS front page. i'm on 1.1.1 and the latest version is 1.5. my version crashes ableton when i click on the presets button

never mid, i went to the shop and i see it's a paid upgrade

Yes - really really nice, and fuss free. I have a bunch of different reverbs, and usually default to the Fas.
Thanks
Pauly

How does the FAS-Reverb sound compared to the reverbs onboard the FM3 etc? Same, higher quality, equally to ultra-res or better?

Also interested to hear comparison to the Valhalla suite of reverbs. Similar, overlap, or does FAS-Reverb cover different sonic territory?

The promo blurb says: "the limit is pushed even further". And, it uses "an enhanced version of the algorithm from the celebrated Axe FX II". The Axe FX III got some "new algorithms" (see below), so I don't know if that means the FAS Reverb plug is based on the older version, or the AFX3 is based on the plugin version.

From the FAS wiki on the reverb block:

"David Griesinger probably knows more about reverb than everyone else combined. He's the father of the Lexicon reverbs. According to him, and I have no reason to doubt him, real reverb (i.e. reverb from a real space) is actually inferior to synthetic reverb. This is due to human perception. Real reverb (and by extension convolution reverb) actually reduces intelligibility and clarity due to the particular nature of the decay, the decay being exponential. Synthetic reverb allows one to craft the decay curve thereby rendering improved clarity. If the decay curve is flat for a period and then exponential it doesn't clutter the desired program material. The new reverb algorithms in the Axe-Fx are based on his theories." [3]
(Axe-Fx III) "The new reverb algorithms use more CPU than those from the Axe-Fx II would use but they sound better. Also the reverb defaults to high-quality mode whereas the II defaults to normal-quality mode." [6]

As for comparing with Valhalla, reverbs are subjective. E.g., I've never liked the sound of Strymon reverbs, and I love Lexicon reverb. Boss reverbs sound wrong to me. Fortunately, you can find enough demo material on YT to get a good idea of how they compare.

The sound quality of FAS Reverb is the big deal. It is a beautiful sounding reverb. Also, the UI is impeccably well-designed. The way it's organized and the kinds of changes you can make are just what you need-- and nothing you don't need.

The current version 1.5.1 runs fine in Rosetta 2 on my M1 MBP, but it would feel reassuring to have a AS-native version for future-proofing.

As for what algorithms they use, it would be nice if they put the latest greatest in the plugin, and perhaps they already have-- but their promo description hasn't been updated.

I know you're probably kidding (on the square), but yea, this plugin is so good, it deserves to be famous. Holding a bake-sale to get a AS update seems kind of funny.

AS would be amazing but don’t hold your breath, I don’t think it’s a priority. I guess using the FM9 or whatever you have as outboard gear is about as good as your going to get.

Yea, I take a little comfort in knowing that A. I didn't pay much for the plugin, B. It works now, C. If it ever stops being available, and I'm desperate, I can use my hardware (FM3) for reverb.

But practically speaking, though it is my nicest sounding reverb, I have other fine reverbs-- so it won't be a huge tragedy-- if/when I do some Apple OS update and lose access to Rosetta2-based plugs.

Back
Top Bottom