Fractal Expression Pedal Tale of the Taper

It would have been nice to try out but when I don't have any problem with my Mission pedal they can stay. Can you get a button in the front with these pedals...

3%20Pedals.jpg

3%20Pedals.jpg

How are they compared to the Misson pedals?

Here's a look at the EV-1, Mission, and EV-2 lined up, so the Mission is in-between the EV-1 and EV-2 size-wise. The Fractal pedals have the smoothest operation of any pedal I've used. The EV-1 and EV-2 both have more travel than the Mission below. Approximate travel distance heel-to-toe: EV-1: 1-7/8", EV-2: 1-1/2", Mission EP-1: 1-3/8"). The Fractal pedals don't offer any additional options like a switch or spring-load at this time.

If they come out with a 2-axis pedal, that would be fantastic IMO.

upload_2017-11-15_15-51-47.png

Personally, I prefer the Mission for wah, and the EV-1 for volume.

The Mission has the throw that feels right, to me, for the wah. The EV-1 throw felt too long, too me, for wah. I always felt like I was working too hard to get a change.

The EV-1 had the feel of the Ernie Ball volume pedals, which I was also used too, but had WAY more precision and control. They are also built like a tank.

YMMV.

Between the FAS and the Mission pedals, which has a more shallow sweep? I had mission pedals back in my M9 days, now days I use a POD HD500X and an extra cheap line 6 expression pedal. The POD pedal is great; it's optical so a little nicer than a mission (imo) but both the Mission pedal and the pod's pedal have an obnoxiously broad sweep yet wonderfully solid construction. When I played an analog pedal board, I always preferred more shallow wah pedals (Vox mostly but the best feeling sweep I ever came across was oddly Jerry Cantrell's signature wah) and I've yet to find an expression pedal that is accurate/tracks well that also has a shallow range.

According to Code Poet's post above...
3%20Pedals.jpg
Approximate travel distance heel-to-toe: EV-1: 1-7/8", EV-2: 1-1/2", Mission EP-1: 1-3/8").

So, longer than perhaps you'd prefer. But, according to all reports, the Fractal units are much smoother both in operation and response, so it may be worth getting used to a little more travel.

I know myself, years ago I was quite impressed with the Morley line of pedals. Built like tanks, didn't need batteries, long throw for great control, no gears/pots to wear/break - everything seemed great. Bought a couple, and learned to hate them in fairly short order. So, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Of course being in the digital realm, you can tweak the response curve of the pedal as well on your Axe/AX8/FX8. If there's too much travel for your liking you can set up the curve to use less than 100% of the total distance. (You could even stick a stopper to the pedal to limit the physical travel to match.)

Have a Mission, liked it just fine but I would only use it as a wah. The main reason I got it I was using Dunlop wah's for over 30 years (so seemed like the thing to do) However since the travel is short to use it to say--: adjust the level of a delay and park it I don't care for it for this application. And that's fine for what I do I like dedicated for wah.

In came the EV-1 for everything else, time passes start using it as a wah (just to experiment) and loved it as a wah also! What does it for me is that big sweep and find it easy to park the pedal. Also the EV-1 is extremely linear compared to the MIssion noticed this while calibrating the EV started at 2 and ended at 127 (that's pretty much the full range) also if I park the pedal around 50% it pretty much reads 50%. The Mission I have is not this accurate.

Someone could say I could just program a curve and they would be right, but I rather start linear and not have to program a curve around a already existing curve.

Super smooth too !!

John

Right. There's little excuse to suffer treadle response with this gear. If you can't get it to match your preferences, chances are you're just barking at the moon instead of adjusting things properly.

Between the FAS and the Mission pedals, which has a more shallow sweep? I had mission pedals back in my M9 days, now days I use a POD HD500X and an extra cheap line 6 expression pedal. The POD pedal is great; it's optical so a little nicer than a mission (imo) but both the Mission pedal and the pod's pedal have an obnoxiously broad sweep yet wonderfully solid construction. When I played an analog pedal board, I always preferred more shallow wah pedals (Vox mostly but the best feeling sweep I ever came across was oddly Jerry Cantrell's signature wah) and I've yet to find an expression pedal that is accurate/tracks well that also has a shallow range.
The Mission pedals are shorter sweep, which is why they tend to be favored for wah whereas the EV are preferred for finer control like volume.

If you consider the Mission to have a broad sweep, I'd have to ask what you are comparing it to because most consider it to be a shallow sweep. They are exactly the same as the Dunlop/CryBaby pedals as they are using the same chassis.

The Mission pedals are shorter sweep, which is why they tend to be favored for wah whereas the EV are preferred for finer control like volume.

If you consider the Mission to have a broad sweep, I'd have to ask what you are comparing it to because most consider it to be a shallow sweep. They are exactly the same as the Dunlop/CryBaby pedals as they are using the same chassis.
It's been 5 years or so since I last had a mission pedal, perhaps I'm conflating Mission with something else.

Back
Top Bottom