Fractal device for vocals

What about an FM3-like vocal fx by fractal?

• Absolutly killer!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Nah, I don't care...

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Smilzo

Fractal Fanatic
Hi there!

What about an FM3-like vocal fx by fractal?

I would like
- trasparent mic input
- a "preamp" block (instead of amp block) with classical preamp circuit
- a dedicate anti feedback/squealing filtering
- the usual fractal fx-block style and algo.

I have a look at RNP, but it doesn't have mic bal input...
I like the AX8/FM3 concept: a versatile pedalboard under your feet. I play guitar and sing, FM3+FV3 will be a godsend...
The competitor 2/3 button devices offer limited edit and/or features for the vocal.

This would be a rather niche product with a pretty small market, IMO. There are already lots of lower end vocal processors on the market, and live most singers are doing outboard processing through the sound board, as well as many digital boards now having their own effects.

I just can’t see many singers wanting a pretty high end mic pre emulator, effects unit, in a floor board, nor that many really wanting to use the typical flanger, phaser, etc guitar effects blocks on vocals. Could have a nice Comp, reverb etc which would be handy, but again, how many vocalist want to handle those duties with a floor board at a gig ?

Not a bad idea per say, but, just one I couldn’t see selling all that well, and rather outside Fractals typical market of guitar/bass processing

... live most singers are doing outboard processing through the sound board, as well as many digital boards now having their own effects
Guitar player have tube amps. So why the hell a pedalboard? ;)

I just can’t see many singers wanting a pretty high end mic pre emulator, effects unit, in a floor board, nor that many really wanting to use the typical flanger, phaser, etc guitar effects blocks on vocals. Could have a nice Comp, reverb etc which would be handy, but again, how many vocalist want to handle those duties with a floor board at a gig ?

Not a bad idea per say, but, just one I couldn’t see selling all that well, and rather outside Fractals typical market of guitar/bass processing
Many singers wish for a studio-like quality. The studio editing give the voice a unique quality, better than the raw recorded track: stage eq, multi comp, dynamic fx depending on other material... I think that a matrix grid like Fractal could solve many wishes for pop, metal, hip hop and other genres. If you play blues obviuosly you don't care about this... :)

I like to have controll of my sound (voice/guitar), I like separate device and redundancy (or backup), I like/need light device with small footprint. I like the FM3 concept more than TC o Boss stuff, to name a few...

With the Fractal quality I think many studio will also be interested.

If you sing and play guitar, all you need is an AFX3 and a nice pre. You could run both through the 3 and send each channel to foh separately. I’m considering doing this for my wife’s vocals but ha e not tried it yet. My only concern is vocal dropout if I change scenes while she is singing.

Make no mistake, there is a small market for such a product, but that is essentially the issue when it comes to bringing products to the market, economies of scale. You need to sell a lot of them to make the production viable.

Your market is essentially singers who want studio quality channel strips and effect live, who are also willing to spend $1000+ for it, and who also want that in a floor unit. That is a limited market....

As I said, many may want studio effects, but do they want it in a floor board ? Do most studio engineers want those effects in a rack or floorboard ? Are they already using their outboard racks or ITB stuff and aren’t happy with what Waves, Softube, UA etc offer ?

As I said, there surely is someone like yourself who wants to studio rack, emulated and put into a floorboard so they can control it themselves, but how many units would that sell? How many singers would prefer an engineer to simply to their vocal processing at the board instead?

If anything, some channel strip-like effects blocks that can run in the III would be most viable, but even that might be entering an already crowded market.

The idea and concept is fine, it’s the issue of would it prove profitable that affects if it comes to market. FAS already has difficulty with supply chain etc being a small company, and likely the FC’s and FM3 already are a challenge with matching demand and supply, adding yet another product, and one with a much smaller market, just doesn’t seem viable to me...

But hey, it’s Cliff’s company, and if he thinks a floor vocal processor is the “next big thing from FAS” I’m sure he will create one.

Maybe it will end up being a year waitlist too since everyone will want it, and it will show how little I know about the market lol

Also .....majority of singers (divas) don’t experience GAS as guitarists and other musicians do.

They are not accustomed to such things but yet just want great sound and thinking their mic and the board will give it to them.

I find that guitarists and bassists who double as lead singers gravitate easily to vocal pedal boards along side their main pedal board.

In my acoustic trio ....my male singer who plays his acoustic guitar with an acoustic gtr pedal board runs a separate vocal pedal board as well! And I must admit his vocals and effects are pretty darn good ...he cleverly uses special effects and filters at opportune times. His vocal pedal board is pretty big too with many switches as other guitar pedal boards.

Many lead singers of both genders are amazed and taken notice with compliments and always inquire how we get the gamut of vocal effect sounds.

When we tell them it’s through presets on a vocal preamp stomp box pedal....they are taken aback that they’d have to BUY a pedal!! Lol! ....& turned off.

Many say they are going to do the same thing but year in year out....don’t make the jump.

Back
Top Bottom