Fractal Axe FX III with Universal Apollo Luna

DFauvre

Inspired
The instructions for re amping a guitar track in a DAW in the Fractal manual state to use the Fractal USB for input and output. However, I'm using Luna from Universal Audio and I don't see how to get Luna to see the Fractal for audio processing. Does anyone know how to do that? I think I could do it in Logic and possibly PT. Any ideas on how to do so with Luna? Or is it not possible?

I'm not Familiar with Luna but I suspect there will be an option to use the Fractal Asio driver somewhere in the preferences/options menu, within Luna.
That is if Luna doesn't use a proprietary (closed) system.

Edit: On closer inspection, Luna does have to have an Apollo interface attached so is indeed a proprietary system.
I'd suggest using another DAW for any re-amping tasks, one where the Fractal Asio driver can be selected.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I assumed, Luna is a closed system. Do you know if Fractal can be used with Apple's Logic? Or ProTools? I don't recall the Fractal Asio driver, the Fractal shows up under Audio in my iMac. Do I still need it? If yes, where do I DL it?

I believe the Asio driver is only required on Windows systems.

Though I'm not a Mac user, I'm aware that an aggregate device can be created, though a Mac user would have to verify whether or not that could solve your problem.
I use Pro Tools with an Omni s/pdif to AxeIII. If I want to re-amp I just change the playback engine in Pro Tools to the AxeIII, no rewiring necessary.

You can definitely do it in Logic. Just make a new session, set the I/O device to the AX3, drop your dry guitar tracks in, set their output to USB channel 7, create a new mono or stereo track with input set to USB 1 or 1+2, and go. You might want to run the I/O plugin first so you can set the sample offset in Logic, I always have to do this when tracking with the AX3 via USB or my tracks are way behind.

Luna is quite crippled in its feature set, and that’s putting it mildly. Check out the major DAWs on the market. Even reaper does this and it’s free/donationware.

Luna is a great DAW for recording. The workflow is amazing! I've just found it so much easier to use and better sounding then any of the others. I've used both logic and studio one for years now and am not a fan of either.

However, as pointed out, you are tied to the UAD hardware to use it. For some that is an issue, for others not at all. Remember as a DAW it is still in its infancy while many of the others have been around for a longer time and have a much larger feature set. Lots of things are being added to it regularly though and it has been very stable for all of the work I have been using it for.

Either way, you won't be able to use the USB for recording into Luna.

Couldn't the Fractal be connected to the UA interface via SpDIF for routing within Luna?
That's what I do with my Metric Halo ULN-8 and I'm re-amping all day long.

Uhhh Reaper is neither free nor donationware. It is $60 for a personal license after a 30 day evaluation.
Unless I’m missing something, it’ll run indefinitely in evaluation mode, which is fully functional until you buy a license. I’m betting plenty of people never buy a license if this is the case. So although it’s not technically “free”, it may as well be.
maybe somethings changed in their licensing/copy protection, but this has been my understanding of it.

I am trying to understand how a DAW alone can sound better than another, but I can’t find a scientific explanation 🙂
You don't find any since there're no explanation... ;-)
DAW is about workflow and being used to a specific software/machine/encironment (ITB etc).

I am trying to understand how a DAW alone can sound better than another, but I can’t find a scientific explanation 🙂
Differences in the way the various audio engines process audio. I have no idea what goes on under the hood, but I know things started sounding better to me when I went from protools to studio one. Instantly.

also, different workflows and tool sets will yields different results, obviously.

things started sounding better to me when I went from protools to studio one. Instantly.
This is exactly the opposite to what AVID (and many - well payed - engineers) always said about PT: "PT it's different, it add something to your sound that makes it sound better"..... Since everyone is different and has different needs, how a software could "color" your sound and make sound it better? My "better" could not be your.... just my 2c....

This is exactly the opposite to what AVID (and many - well payed - engineers) always said about PT: "PT it's different, it add something to your sound that makes it sound better"..... Since everyone is different and has different needs, how a software could "color" your sound and make sound it better?
I’m just a mook on the internet. All I know is S1 sounded instantly better to me. Whatever Avid added (outside of years of non existent tech support, on top of breaking their own proprietary plugin format) didn’t work for me.
S1 has a MixFX protocol which is essentially a plugin (mostly console style coloration) which affects audio differently (or at an earlier point) than regular VST plugins. Look into that if you’re interested.

Thanks @Bruce Sokolovic but I left AVID some years ago and got back to my first love (Cubase) and I'm happy with what I have now; I do anything from classical to death metal and I need a transparent tool that doesn't add anything that I don't want. Tried S1 but it doesn't suit my workflow but I have to admit it looks very good (but again I use my ears not my eyes when I mix).

Thanks @Bruce Sokolovic but I left AVID some years ago and got back to my first love (Cubase) and I'm happy with what I have now; I do anything from classical to death metal and I need a transparent tool that doesn't add anything that I don't want. Tried S1 but it doesn't suit my workflow but I have to admit it looks very good (but again I use my ears not my eyes when I mix).
That’s cool, use what works.

for me, I love S1 for its compositional tools. It smokes protools in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom