Fractal AXE FX III + ?????? (closest Metallica sound)

Hi there,

I decided to go after a Fractal AXE FX III trying to achieve that beloved Metallica Sound. Options would be:

Fractal + Cab
Fractal + PA Speakers

Which one is more suitable? Any recommendation?

Guitar -> Fractal > ????

(also Mesa Boogie Cabs out of stock so...)

Any help and recommendation would be appreciated just like specific models/configurations.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
It all boils down to what your ears are hearing. I've used AXE FX-Mesa Two/Fifty-Mesa 4x12 cab. AXE FX-Matrix GT-1000-Mesa 4x12 cab. AXE FX-Matrix-2 EV T-221m monitors. AXE FX-Direct to PA. Each setup requires tweaking of whatever preset you choose or create to achieve a particular sound.

Hi there,

I decided to go after a Fractal AXE FX III trying to achieve that beloved Metallica Sound. Options would be:

Fractal + Cab
Fractal + PA Speakers

Which one is more suitable? Any recommendation?

Guitar -> Fractal > ????

(also Mesa Boogie Cabs out of stock so...)

Any help and recommendation would be appreciated just like specific models/configurations.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Metallica uses both. They listen to their own tone through in-ear monitors but they also use real 4x12 cabs on stage and in their practice/recording space as well.

The Metallica sound we are all used to hearing comes from the PA system, as almost none of us are standing next to James' or Kirk's guitar cabs when they're playing.

I think what you really want to know is what you will like playing though more. Unfortunately there's really no way for anybody here to answer that for you because it's all subjective. Some people like listening through guitar cabs, some people like listening through a good set of monitors. Some people like both.

Just remember that you can't really make a guitar cab sound like a PA system and you can't really make a PA system sound like a guitar cab.

Someone jump and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go with a cab and power amp don't you need to play the cab loud to push the speakers? Whereas a FRFR, you can get the tone at bedroom levels? I ask because I've got a cab sitting around and have thought about buying a power amp for it. I already have a FRFR monitor/speaker.

Nah.

In general, pushing speakers doesn't affect tone nearly as much as pushing the power sections of amplifiers. However, Metallica's distortion is almost all preamp-based and their poweramps are running fairly clean. As such, the typical Metallica tone doesn't really require high volume.

And if you're recreating it with the Axe-Fx, it definitely doesn't require volume. :)

Last edited:
Nah.

In general, pushing speakers doesn't affect tone nearly as much as pushing the power sections of amplifiers. However, Metallica's distortion is almost all preamp-based and their poweramps are running fairly clean. As such, the typical Metallica tone doesn't really require high volume.

And if you're recreating it with the Axe-Fx, it definitely doesn't require volume. :)
Thanks mate! then I will go after FRFR Active Speakers, I think is the best option. Guitar > FX III > FRFR Speaker

Last edited:
Thanks mate! then I will go after FRFR Active Speakers, I think is the best option. Guitar > FX III > FRFR Speaker

Glad I could help!

I will say again that if you have the chance, try and play your Axe-Fx through both FRFR speakers and a solid state amp + guitar cab setup. Both can be great but they are quite different from each other.

The other thing is that if you choose FRFR, you're going to want to pick out some speaker impulse responses (IR's) that you like. Personally, I love the IR's I use but I've tried hundreds and there are, no exaggeration, maybe about five total IR's I've heard that I like for my own playing.

What I'm saying is that if you go FRFR, be prepared to be underwhelmed by most of the IR's you try, but don't let that convince you that there are no IR's for you. There almost certainly are, but they can take some time to find.

Last edited:
Is this for home, live or recording?? If it's home or recording Studio Monitors, if it's live a good FRFR.

Best Metallica tone is around MOP sessions IMO. Mark IIC++ -> Marshall 4x12 T75 speakers (York Audio IR for me).

Run the Master Volume between 2-4 and both pre-amp gains fairly high (around 7-8). Bass around 0-1. Mids 1, Treble 7, Presence 4.

5 Band EQ in a V shape to bring back some Bass but don't completely scoop out the 750 slider that sounds like shit. You need some mids even for Metallica.

Nails Metallica on my '84 Gibson Explorer with EMG 81's.

Is this for home, live or recording?? If it's home or recording Studio Monitors, if it's live a good FRFR.

Best Metallica tone is around MOP sessions IMO. Mark IIC++ -> Marshall 4x12 T75 speakers (York Audio IR for me).

Hey Adam which IR(s) are you using?

What puts it in the MOP region for me:

Amp: USA IIC++
Gain: 9.3 Overdrive: 9.5 Bass: 0.25, mid: 5, Treble: 6, Presence: 7, Master: 4
Speaker: 4x12 Brit 800 (So it matches the marshall cab)
Output EQ: 5 Band Mark
80: 5.5
240: 0
750: -6
2200: .75
6600: 4

Cab: Marshal G65 (Legacy, #187), can mix some 4x12 G12-65 room (Factory2: #1019, #1020)

Which Metallica sound?

Their current live sound is just AxeFX 3 FRFR signal straight through to the board, with FRFR signal to IEMs. They use power amps and cabs on stage for feedback/feel.

As far as models go, it's the IIC++ and a Diezel as far as I know.

I've included a couple of presets I use which work well with the Het Set pickups. One live sound, one black album.

These are rhythm only.
Thanks for the presets. I was wondering if you happened to come across this article before.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/secrets-behind-metallica-sad-but-true

If this is just for a home setup why not just get a set of studio monitors? you can get great sounding 8" monitors like Focal or Kali or even the Yamaha monitors for not all that much money and they all sound great. If you do some playing with the speaker tab in the axe fx3 amp block you can nail the feel of a cab. These will also be recorded tones and not like having a cab in the room, even an FRFR or a PA speaker will be this way as well.

To use a PA or a set of FRFRs you will need a good bit of room as you can't really stand right up on them you need to be a few feet back from them.

Back
Top Bottom