Fractal AX8 into Mesa Mark V 25 using a JHS Little Black Box

Ferpdr

Hello guys, I still have my AX8 (Amazing Unit) and I’m waiting for the FM9 on the waitlist (that wait has been quiet long) While I wait I’d like to use my AX8 into a Mesa Mark V 25 head, the purpose is to use the AX8 (Effects section only: drives, modulation, filters, delays, etc no Amp and Cab section, similar use of FX8) and use a JHS Little Black Box (I wanted a better attenuator but out of budget now due to the Mesa Mark V 25 purchase) for the volume that comes out of the head inside a 112 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30 in it. I want to explore those tones at a high volume in the 25 mode of the Mesa Amp without disturbing my neighbors.

So this is what I have been thinking about the signal:

First: Fractal AX8 (in global settings I will disable the Power Amp section and the Cabinet Section)
Second: Plug the AX8 into the FX Loop of the Mark V 25. Any suggestions here?
Third: where I should place the JHS Little Black Box in the signal? Before AX8 or After AX8 and where in the AX8 should I plug the JHS? or should it be out of the FX loop? First time using attenuators.

If you have any suggestions about this signal That’ll be really helpful. Also, If you have any suggestions about the settings on the AX8 for this connection please let me know.

Thank you

JHSLBB is not a load bearing attenuator - an attenuator / load box is a specialized device that sits between an amp's speaker output, and speaker, to reduce the volume of the amp's cranked power section, where as the JHSLBB is just a simple volume control not designed to take a speaker load. In the case of putting a modeller in an amp's fx loop for post fx, the modeller's output (physical output knob or patch's output) level could be used for controlling the volume of the amp's power section with no need for LBB.

If you want to lower the volume of the amps output with power section pushing hard, you'll need a load bearing attenuator (ie Fractal's LB load box).

Last edited:
Also, if you want Ax8 Fx before and after the amp's preamp section, and finally into the amp's power section, you'll need to use the 4 Cable Method (lots of other threads here detailing that).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom