Fractal Audio X-Load & Suhr Reactive Load Comparison

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hi Guys,
There is no Fractal LB-2 subforum so just posting it here for AXE III user who would like to use it with a Load Box.
In this video I am comparing these 2 great Load Boxes known for using great "correct" Impedance Curves.

Signal chain : Gibson LP - Marshall Silver Jubilee - Load Box Speaker In - Load Box XLR out - Fractal Audio FM3 Input 2 Balanced IN - Cab Block - Output 1 S/Pdif - RME Fireface .

For more obvious differences , please listen with headphones :)

Let me know if you prefer one above the other !
Thanks !

"edited" I have bought the Suhr reactive Load with IRs built in and really love that going straight into my DAW with 'only' 20ms IR length....I prefer it over going through the Axe FX III loading the Ultrares IRs.....

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I do hear differences but not enough for me to pick one or the other. I own the X-Load and love it, and I also own the RedSeven Amp Central which has some cool features like headphone out, stereo FX loop, etc.

Hi Guys,
There is no Fractal LB-2 subforum so just posting it here for AXE III user who would like to use it with a Load Box.
In this video I am comparing these 2 great Load Boxes known for using great "correct" Impedance Curves.

Signal chain : Gibson LP - Marshall Silver Jubilee - Load Box Speaker In - Load Box XLR out - Fractal Audio FM3 Input 2 Balanced IN - Cab Block - Output 1 S/Pdif - RME Fireface .

For more obvious differences , please listen with headphones :)

Let me know if you prefer one above the other !
Thanks !

tumhara comparision dekhkar mujhe anand hua

The suhr reactive load is equal and can be used same way with amp and fm3 with no cab? Thanks
You can use a head with whatever loadbox into a fractal product with irs yes. Something I don’t do in the end. I ve sold my load boxes . I was interested by the fractal one since a long time but I give up as it’s never available . Now I use the cabclone of the JP2c if I want to record it or real mics . But 99% of the time I use the axe 3 for recordings now

You can use a head with whatever loadbox into a fractal product with irs yes. Something I don’t do in the end. I ve sold my load boxes . I was interested by the fractal one since a long time but I give up as it’s never available . Now I use the cabclone of the JP2c if I want to record it or real mics . But 99% of the time I use the axe 3 for recordings now
Ok so for example the standard Torpedo captor could be fine for what i m going to do? Or anyway will be better to have a reactive load despite using the cab sim in the fm3?

Ok so for example the standard Torpedo captor could be fine for what i m going to do? Or anyway will be better to have a reactive load despite using the cab sim in the fm3?
Yes you should be able too. A lot of people say the two note sounds bad because of the curve they use ( they use a combination of curves) but I a captor inside my Revv 100R Mkiii and a normal captor and they are fine.

Yes you should be able too. A lot of people say the two note sounds bad because of the curve they use ( they use a combination of curves) but I a captor inside my Revv 100R Mkiii and a normal captor and they are fine.
But a reactive could be an improvement anyway in term of sound quality from the amp to the fm3 or the fact that there s no phisical cab doesn make any difference? All the videos and info i ve found assume reactive is better but when used instead of the cab and not from the amp to the fractal or something else..

And how the impedance curve makes difference if i m using an ir in the fractal cab block where i select my favourite curve?

And how the impedance curve makes difference if i m using an ir in the fractal cab block where i select my favourite curve?
To be super honest, the only ones that say “bad things” about the torpedo captor are the others loadbox makers 😅 . The captor work well for half the price, the wall of sound plug with it is nice .
Ok ok there is a small mid boost by default… but if you want,you can do some correction yourself turning down the mids … they are millions of controls everywhere, so having something super flat in the beginning …yes … ok … and when you want a fractal one you cannot find it so… just saying. I ve sold it in the end because I use more the axe. But one day maybe I ll try another loadbox .

You can easily do :)
I have tried the Two Notes and also the OX….. they both FEEL stiff when playing … somehow the Amp feel does not respond that good….. Soundwise they all can be tweaked depending on your taste….. I went for the most raw natural sound and feel and that is the Suhr for me…. Just a very thin hair better than the X load IMHO and my taste.

Very strange choice by universal audio to not add an aux in for audio external sources like a backing track for example..

Back
Top Bottom