Fractal Audio Systems - Javier Reyes "Luz y Cielo" - EMG - Ibanez Guitars

Wow - that's awesome. Javier is a great player - figured he was, but hadn't seen him solo before. More of that!

Very tasteful playing! :)

Not having much experience myself with eight stringed guitars, I'm attracted to the huge note range but I'm a bit annoyed with the clunky tone you seem to get from the lower tuned strings. Does anyone know what causes that tone coloring? Is it because the strings are so thick related to their length? Can one get rid of the issue in some way? Would a longer neck help?

Very tasteful playing! :)

Not having much experience myself with eight stringed guitars, I'm attracted to the huge note range but I'm a bit annoyed with the clunky tone you seem to get from the lower tuned strings. Does anyone know what causes that tone coloring? Is it because the strings are so thick related to their length? Can one get rid of the issue in some way? Would a longer neck help?

agreed on the playing. i also agree on the slightly clunky tone. i think the trick is to use thinner strings and a longer scale length. fanned frets seems to be one solution. i actually haven't heard an 8 string clean tone that i like, yet...

Beautiful piece, beautifully put together, beautifully played.

...I'm a bit annoyed with the clunky tone you seem to get from the lower tuned strings. Does anyone know what causes that tone coloring? Is it because the strings are so thick related to their length? Can one get rid of the issue in some way? Would a longer neck help?
Yes, a longer neck would definitely help. That's why there are basses. :)

To get a note that low on a guitar-scale neck, you have to have very low tension on the string, and that's going to make the string flop around more when you play it.

agreed on the playing. i also agree on the slightly clunky tone. i think the trick is to use thinner strings and a longer scale length. fanned frets seems to be one solution. i actually haven't heard an 8 string clean tone that i like, yet...

I have a few Baritones (3 acoustic, one electric), and for clean tones: and my opinion is that 27 inch with standard "Baritone" strings is not as good as 29 inch with lighter ones. Also, 29 inch necks can work with a baritone set a lot better than 27 inch

Having said all that, I have a different suggestion here: those bass strings sounded like when I plugged my active bass into the AxeFx2 into my normal favourite clean patch
How about, to play an 8 string clean in this style of playing, we run a separate pickup for the bottom 2 or 3 strings, roll off the treble on guitar for those strings, and ideally run that to a separate input on the AF2, setup for a bass guitar sound?

How about, to play an 8 string clean in this style of playing, we run a separate pickup for the bottom 2 or 3 strings, roll off the treble on guitar for those strings, and ideally run that to a separate input on the AF2, setup for a bass guitar sound?
That's a great idea! I've seen that in eight- and twelve stringed instruments by Stick Enterprises, but not for ordinary guitars. I have two Sticks myself and must say that having separate pickups for two groups of six strings each is exceptionally powerful for both plain amplification and effect treatment of your sound.
thumb.jpg

Because of this video, I bought an 8 string, but when I use it with my AF2, I don't sound anything like as good as Javier in this video. Maybe there's something wrong with the guitar ;-)

Seriously, It's very interesting to play, but I've tuned the bottom 2 strings to G, B rather than F#, B, since I have no intention of using power chords down there, and to me the G works better with the way my brain is already wired up
I thought the neck might be too wide, but found the string spacing quite narrow. I can still use my thumb on the bottom string.
Great fun if you like to fingerpick your electric sometimes. 8 Strings go quite cheap used since most people are scared of them. Also, the more metally amongst us tend to dislike the EMG 808s found on most good 8 strings, but they are excellent into the AF2, so you can get a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom