Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8 | Raw Amp Comparison

I would say that the word "digital" is oftenly used only for the lack of a better word in this context (guitar amplification and modeling).
By "digital" we typically mean something with small low end, flat mids and no character, fizzy high end, and a very quick attack. Lifeless.
Instead of wiriting all of this, many often use the word "digital".
Yes, I agree, it's not correct ad there is no "digital" sound. But it's a very commonly used word in this context nevertheless.
I always find it funny, when people do comparisons between a modeler and a real amp on YouTube, and the comments are full of "the modeler clearly sounds digital", while the real amp was recorded by a digital interface and played back through YouTube's compression algorithm and another digital interface.

Yeah, sure. I think that since the first modelers were released (pod and before...90's era) in the guitar world the "digital" term has been associated to the tonal and feeling characteristics i described in my previous post, probably because that was how these modelers sounded like at the time.

The main issue is the low end is missing in the AX8 here. Are you sure there is not sure global EQ setting that has been inadvertently tweaked on the AX8? I just tried some of these raw amps on my own AX8 and they sound way richer and bass-ier than here, although obviously not a direct compare. I can't believe there would be that much difference.
In 1 or 2 days I'll post another comparison video with my very own patch. I used that patch in my beloved AX8. I played it the last 4 years in many recording sessions and shows all over the world. The sound was always perfect! In comparison the AX8 still sounds "thinner" and not 3D. But I like both of them. Stay tuned :)

I always find it funny, when people do comparisons between a modeler and a real amp on YouTube, and the comments are full of "the modeler clearly sounds digital", while the real amp was recorded by a digital interface and played back through YouTube's compression algorithm and another digital interface.

I laugh too. It's just the easiest cliched critique for those who don't really analyze things.
What gets to our ears is a culmination of all the various links in the chain - and most of them are digital.

But I can hear if the pre-amp and FX up front are digital.
This doesn't mean it sounds bad in any way. Just that I can hear a difference.
For now I have two options
1. guitar>analog dirt>analog amp w/digital FX loop
2. guitar>analog dirt>digital amp>FX return of analog amp

It was...

@FSM said: "I used the same Factory Cab on all sounds. Sound was NOT tweaked before or afterwards!"
Sorry I must have missed that part. A bit surprised at the difference in the morgan amp especially. The low end was so much more definded. Having that moment of GAS.

Well some guy posted this on facebook. The volume and tone are not even the same for each. I'm sure the FM3 sounds better, but definitely not this dramatically better. :) And I'm NOT in any way implying any purposeful deception here - I just think there is something that is going unnoticed as a major difference here between the two that is not simply an A / B comparison.
View attachment 64729
spit.gif

Well some guy posted this on facebook. The volume and tone are not even the same for each. I'm sure the FM3 sounds better, but definitely not this dramatically better. :) And I'm NOT in any way implying any purposeful deception here - I just think there is something that is going unnoticed as a major difference here between the two that is not simply an A / B comparison.
View attachment 64729
Well this will definetly change the overal comparison tone.

But what’s the use of comparing? What are we comparing, really?

All that matters is how good the FM3 sounds.

Besides conventional guitars: I use my AX8 with a 27" scale guitar with a low C tuning, and with various basses, including 5 string: no lack of low end definition. One of the key factors in elevating my AX8 tones was in adjustments to the resonance and high pass in the cab block for the IR in use and the guitar in hand. I don't doubt that the FM3 has upped the game, as one of the obvious changes in Ares architecture is the revamped/retooled cabinet/IR block: and this alone may account for substantial differences. I also expect the basic FM3 presets are far more dialed in: since its just a matter of porting over the excellence from the AxeFXIII, which has now had many months of evolutionary improvement. I look forward to getting an FM3, but I've never felt the AX8 was holding me back, in my experience: the AX8 has sound quality beyond what I can take full advantage of and it has helped improve my musicianship. The FM3 will still require skill and judicious choices in gain settings and cabinets to reveal its majesty. That much will never change.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
in this video I compared the Raw Amp Tones of the Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8!
I just loaded the factory amp models.
I used the same Factory Cab on all sounds. Sound was NOT tweaked before or afterwards!
In my opinion the FM3 feels and sounds much better and more real than the AX8. The AX8 is more scooped in the mids and more sizzling.

Signal path: Guitar ▶ Fractal FM3/AX8 ▶ Apollo x8 Audio Interface ▶ DAW (ProTools)
If you have any questions so far, please feel free to ask in the comments.

All the best and see you around :)
Cheers, Frank

Ok, Frank, thank you again :)
Your video was the last one that I needed to watch and hear about how good the ARES amp modeling is....
I was really satisfied with the AX 8 amp modeling and only decided to sell it as the FM 3 was announced as a smaller box with an headphone output (starting in April this year ;-) so that I don't have to connect anything else than guitar cable, DC cable and headphone cable in order to practice silently in the evening.
BUT......the new ARES modelings sounds even better so the next time I will watch FM 3 videos again will be the day when I get my FM 3 and will watch videos like tutorials of how to use switches, etc...

Ok, let`s be honest to myself......I will watch some other videos too until I get my FM 3 :innocent:
That is the same reason why there are so much „unboxing“ videos of many products on Youtube :D

Greetings from Germany to Germany :cool::mask:

Last edited:
Ok, Frank, thank you again :)
Your video was the last one that I needed to watch and hear about how good the ARES amp modeling is....
I was really satisfied with the AX 8 amp modeling and only decided to sell it as the FM 3 was announced as a smaller box with an headphone output (starting in April this year ;-) so that I don't have to connect anything else than guitar cable, DC cable and headphone cable in order to practice silently in the evening.
BUT......the new ARES modelings sounds even better so the next time I will watch FM 3 videos again will be the day when I get my FM 3 and will watch videos like tutorials of how to use switches, etc...

Ok, let`s be honest to myself......I will watch some other videos too until I get my FM 3 :innocent:
That is the same reason why there are so much „unboxing“ videos of many products on Youtube :D

Greetings from Germany to Germany :cool::mask:

This is EXACTLY the reason that these comparison videos need to be fair comparisons and not have things like different guitar knob settings that could unfairly drastically alter the sounds of one versus the other and bias the decision making of someone who owns an AX8 and uses this video as a basis for how much better the FM3 sounds than the AX8, and thus makes a purchasing decision based on this. Well, I'll tell you that although probably better, it won't be THIS much better. I can almost guarantee that.

Last edited:
It's kinda ridiculous to keep trying to put distance between yesterday's box and the shiny new one today.

If the Axe Ultra smoked the Standard, and then the II smoked the Ultra,
II Mark II > II
XL > Mark II
III > XL

The Fractal Axe Standard must have sounded pretty bad in hindsight, right?
We all know that's not true so ya, the improvements in sound/feel with each new iteration must be minimal.

@Donnie B.
Which FAS product do you currently own and use?

Reactions: jon
@Donnie B.
Which FAS product do you currently own and use?

I used an AX8 full-time for a year back around 2017.
Then 18 months with a Kemper head and remote.
I'm downsizing in the next 12 months back to a 100% digital rig and the
amp will either be an FM3 or QC used on a small desktop. I have a nice
UA interface and pair of Genelec 8010s sitting in storage waiting.
Right now I have the space for a 1x12 cab and a couple of nice
lunchbox heads so I'm enjoying that while I still can, but getting as
much of a head start as possible on where I'll be next year at this time.

Back
Top Bottom