Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8 | Raw Amp Comparison

FSM

Inspired
Vendor
Hey guys,
in this video I compared the Raw Amp Tones of the Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8!
I just loaded the factory amp models.
I used the same Factory Cab on all sounds. Sound was NOT tweaked before or afterwards!
In my opinion the FM3 feels and sounds much better and more real than the AX8. The AX8 is more scooped in the mids and more sizzling.

Signal path: Guitar ▶ Fractal FM3/AX8 ▶ Apollo x8 Audio Interface ▶ DAW (ProTools)
If you have any questions so far, please feel free to ask in the comments.

All the best and see you around :)
Cheers, Frank

Last edited:
Wow! Wasn’t expecting that much of a difference! I’ve seen some Axe FX III vs AX8 videos and honestly I don’t remember thinking the difference wasn’t that bad. But now... some of the AX8 models sound like you were plugged in a L6 Pod. Lack of bass and body, scooped mids, shrill highs...

both are totally usable, and remember - these aren't adjusted to sound how you may want. they are just the same values for comparison.

you could easily change either one to be brighter or darker as you need.

great vid and great playing! i never thought of playing "ain't talkin' bout love" higher on the neck haha. and wow i really need to try that ODS clean amp... holy moly!

Very good video! Indeed a substantial difference! New modeling makes everything sounds much more organic!

Reactions: FSM
Wow! Wasn’t expecting that much of a difference! I’ve seen some Axe FX III vs AX8 videos and honestly I don’t remember thinking the difference wasn’t that bad. But now... some of the AX8 models sound like you were plugged in a L6 Pod. Lack of bass and body, scooped mids, shrill highs...
At those settings, whatever they are. They still have depth and tone. Easily reduce the highs if needed.

Reactions: FSM
both are totally usable, and remember - these aren't adjusted to sound how you may want. they are just the same values for comparison.

great vid and great playing! i never thought of playing "ain't talkin' bout love" higher on the neck haha. and wow i really need to try that ODS clean amp... holy moly!
Absolutely! Pure, raw amp models - nothing tweaked.
Thanks, Chris! Much appreciate.

I wasn't expecting that much of a difference too. I double checked everything - but that difference is real. Next week I'll post a comparison between the FM3 and Axe-Fx3 using my own sounds! Cheers Frank

Ain't talking bout love on the fifth fret is fun ;)

I find it weird how drastically different they sound...
I heard plenty of AX8/Axe FX 2 to real amp comparisons where i could barely hear a difference.
I heard a few Axe FX 3 to real amp comparisons, where i could barely hear a difference...
But Ax8 to FM3... Like two different worlds. Weird.
And it's a lot easier to set the digital devices at the same settings, than eyeballing the real amp...

I heard plenty of AX8/Axe FX 2 to real amp comparisons where i could barely hear a difference.
I heard a few Axe FX 3 to real amp comparisons, where i could barely hear a difference...
And it's a lot easier to set the digital devices at the same settings, than eyeballing the real amp...
I love my AX8 and I was extremely surprised too - and I double checked everything! The FM3 sounded way better to me. The AX8 was mostly harsh sounding. Sometimes I liked the scooped mids of the AX8 more ;) In the next video I 'll compare the FM3 with the Axe-Fx3 - and they are pretty close ;)

I believe they were the defaults of each device, not exactly the same settings matching. This could simply point to better defaults in the FM3 stemming from the work done on the Axe3 in addition to the improved modeling. This includes advanced parameters which have been improved since the last AX8 firmware.

Again, any default can easily be adjusted to sound more how you want. If the AX8 is too trebly, a simple treble knob reduction could solve it.

I believe this video is comparing defaults of each unit, not necessarily “capability”. Another comparison would be to adjust an AX8 preset so it sounds how you want and compare it to a similar adjusted FM3 preset. That might show more of the capability difference.

It’s a bit like comparing 2 real amps with the knobs at 12 o clock only. They may not sound the best that way, but it is a type of comparison.

Pretty much my own experience...

I get that you can tweak the AX8 to get closer to the FM3 in this video, but IME I already have my AX8 (FW10) with presets really dialed in to my liking and the best of my ear/abilities, then used the exact same values to mimic those patches in my Axe FX III (FW 11.XX back then) and the end result was exactly what we are hearing in this video:

The Axe FX III (in this case, the FM3) sounds beefier, alive and the response under the fingertips was just awesome, the AX8 on the other hand felt thin, brittle and not as '3D'. Sure thing, was a shocker, as I thought my AX8 presets were really good on their own, it's just that when compared to the Axe Fx III the difference jumped right to my face.

Again, this was my own experience owning both units, YMMV.

you could easily change either one to be brighter or darker as you need

This is why, while I really enjoy them (especially from guys like Coop, Pete Thorn, Michael Nielsen, and others) I don't put
much stock into YouTube when it comes to spending money. Most everything sounds pretty great or is maybe
a slight EQ tweak away from sounding great. They are great for judging UI, real-world cosmetics most times, and other
hands on stuff.

I believe they were the defaults of each device, not exactly the same settings matching. This could simply point to better defaults in the FM3 stemming from the work done on the Axe3 in addition to the improved modeling. This includes advanced parameters which have been improved since the last AX8 firmware.

Again, any default can easily be adjusted to sound more how you want. If the AX8 is too trebly, a simple treble knob reduction could solve it.

I believe this video is comparing defaults of each unit, not necessarily “capability”. Another comparison would be to adjust an AX8 preset so it sounds how you want and compare it to a similar adjusted FM3 preset. That might show more of the capability difference.

It’s a bit like comparing 2 real amps with the knobs at 12 o clock only. They may not sound the best that way, but it is a type of comparison.
So, if he went beyond the Basic page, these deeper settings have significally different defaults?
If FSM made all the deeper settings as close as possible, they would sound way more similar?

Anyway... I'd really love to see more FM3/Axe FX 3 to Real amp comparison videos ... Preferably the real amp being played through a real mic'ed cab, and FM3 through an IR that is of that exact same cab and mic setup. This would also show how good cab modeling is.
If an IR is used on the real amp, it has to be ran through a loadbox, and I'm sure that loadboxing an amp affects it's tone before the IR... So that's why merely using the same IR would not make it a fair comparison...

So, if he went beyond the Basic page, these deeper settings have significally different defaults?
If FSM made all the deeper settings as close as possible, they would sound way more similar?

Anyway... I'd really love to see more FM3/Axe FX 3 to Real amp comparison videos ... Preferably the real amp being played through a real mic'ed cab, and FM3 through an IR that is of that exact same cab and mic setup. This would also show how good cab modeling is.
If an IR is used on the real amp, it has to be ran through a loadbox, and I'm sure that loadboxing an amp affects it's tone before the IR... So that's why merely using the same IR would not make it a fair comparison...
the modeling on each unit is so different by now. i don't think matching parameters is the way to go. i'm just saying that comparing defaults is just that. it's great to hear of course. but i see people taking the results of this comparison as "yeah the ax8 can't even get close!" it's not trying... it's at default settings. :)

Back
Top Bottom