Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8 | Custom Presets

FSM

Inspired
Vendor
In this video I compared the Fractal Audio FM3 vs AX8 using my own Custom Presets!
The differences are small but still audible. The FM3 sounds a bit rounder, fuller and more 3D for me.
What do you think?

Have fun! Cheers Frank :)

Thanks for the video Frank. There is still a difference between them but much less noticeable than in your previous raw amp comparison.

Reactions: FSM
The biggest difference I noticed between the AX8 and AxeFX III was in terms of the responsiveness to touch and playing dynamics - something that cannot be evaluated in clips. It’s hard to say whether those improvements were a result of the increased CPU power of the AxeFX III, the algorithms, or a combination of both.

@FSM Whats your take on this? Does the FM3 exceed the AX8 in those areas?

I also appreciate that you included a CPU usage comparison. That was helpful.

Ax8 is a bit thinner and is also good to know that the same preset saves 10% on FM3
Yes but that 10% is probably saved thanks to the delays running on the second core of the DSP. If you have a preset without delay blocks the cpu usage could be the same or even higher on the fm3, I guess.

It could be a difference in presets, and also a difference in personal taste. But I honestly liked the lead tone on the AX8 better than the FM3.

Yes but that 10% is probably saved thanks to the delays running on the second core of the DSP. If you have a preset without delay blocks the cpu usage could be the same or even higher on the fm3, I guess.
Good point! That must be it.
Anyway, I am glad that the amp and delay share the same core because I don't use reverb that much and I can save space on the first core.

The biggest difference I noticed between the AX8 and AxeFX III was in terms of the responsiveness to touch and playing dynamics - something that cannot be evaluated in clips. It’s hard to say whether those improvements were a result of the increased CPU power.

Touch and feel are in the amps/cabs, which I don't believe eat up a lot of CPU (like reverbs for example), so I don't think that's the case.
I could be wrong.

Well, the AX8 ran the amp block at a lower resolution than the AxeFX II. Personally, I thought there was a huge difference in the feel and responsiveness between the AX8 and the III. I don’t know if FAS has commented on whether the amps run at full resolution on the FM3.

Yeah I know that :) no worries though. eventually all of us will migrate to new platforms some day :) FAS user and fan for life here.

The biggest difference I noticed between the AX8 and AxeFX III was in terms of the responsiveness to touch and playing dynamics - something that cannot be evaluated in clips. It’s hard to say whether those improvements were a result of the increased CPU power of the AxeFX III, the algorithms, or a combination of both.

@FSM Whats your take on this? Does the FM3 exceed the AX8 in those areas?

I also appreciate that you included a CPU usage comparison. That was helpful.
The FM3 sounds pretty close to the Axe-Fx3. Touch, feel, sound, dynamics etc. are pretty close (I can`t hear any differences). I think it's because those algorithms are exactly the same (on older models like the AX8 they are sometimes drastically different).

In a few days I'm posting a new video - Axe-Fx3 vs FM3. Is there anything that you are particularly interested in?

It could be a difference in presets, and also a difference in personal taste. But I honestly liked the lead tone on the AX8 better than the FM3.
Absolutely - It's different - more treble and less bass and midrange - kind of scooped sound and I think more gain and less dynamics - I like the AX8 too ;) But you can tweak that with FM3 with ease.

In a few days I'm posting a new video - Axe-Fx3 vs FM3. Is there anything that you are particularly interested in?

Not really. I already have an AxeFX III so I know what to expect. But I'll definitely check out your video! Thanks for taking the time to make these.

Absolutely - It's different - more treble and less bass and midrange - kind of scooped sound and I think more gain and less dynamics - I like the AX8 too ;) But you can tweak that with FM3 with ease.
To my ears, the AX8 dynamics seem to be more balanced. The FM3 seems to be doing a lot.

Again, as I said it’s mostly a matter of personal preference. I like my tones a little ‘dry’ so to speak. And I’m sure you can tweak it as you said.
In fact I have an AX8 and an FM3 invite. Looking forward to try it out.

Sounds like the AX8 needs a touch more low, resonant frequency in the cab block.
The FM3 has more "punch" and "resonance" on the lower notes, maybe start in the cab block to match better.
Or possibly use a post-cab block EQ?

Izotope Insights Spectrogram will show where to shape the EQ.

Back
Top Bottom