Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Using an AMP block as a DRIVE

Cool idea! I use my Axe-FX in 4-cable method for the live setup with a Mesa TC50, and I just added an amp block to experiment with goosing the TC50 and I like what I got on my first experiment. Just used the BE with the gain pretty low and rolled off some highs so it wouldn't get too carried away and it sounds pretty nice.

Something about it seemed just a touch more lively than just using a drive in front of the amp. I'll try a couple of other things later, but I may have some good use for this method. Gotta crank it a bit to see how it translates, but I think for our next rehearsal I'll try both methods in the context of the band mix and see how it turns out.

I have it parallel with a drive block that is bypasses for the most part when I use the amp, but for one scene, I goose the blue channel with both the amp and a Fuzz Face with the gain kind of low and set to add thickness. That makes a nice lead tone, mixing the edge and upper mid cut of the amp and the thickness of the Fuzz. Slightly less gain overall than my Red lead scene, but a bit more chewy.

Maybe a stupid question, but can you do this and have the amp block be available in AXE FX8??

I saw this tutorial and it would be interesting if possible. Not sure I quite understand it and have not tried this, but might play around with it.

https://axefxtutorials.com/2016/02/...les-to-share-among-devices-axe-fx-ii-ax8-fx8/
Has anyone tried this?

Blocks contain only effect parameter values, not the algorithms. A block can be shared only if the hardware supports it. The FX8 does not support amp modeling.

I've only been messing a bit with this for a few minutes,but has anyone found any favorite "drive-amps" yet?

I was giving my live patch a go, 5150III (50w) and found that the good ole JCM800 with it's drive around 1.49 just gave it some great clarity and krannng compared to using the TS08..

Anyone settling on some settings?

I find factory preset #296 PCM70 Hall works well with my AIAB pedals. After reading this I'll be spending the rest of the day converting a bunch of amp models into pedals to see which ones work best for me. I guess I'll only need to convert one and then just scroll through the library.

I find factory preset #296 PCM70 Hall works well with my AIAB pedals. After reading this I'll be spending the rest of the day converting a bunch of amp models into pedals to see which ones work best for me. I guess I'll only need to convert one and then just scroll through the library.
After 3+ hours I got up to the Freidmans and all I can say is I'll never buy a dirt pedal again. This works great. I just wish I didn't have to go back and re-adjust the Sag and Presence every time I choose a different amp.

Would I be right in thinking this cannot be done with an AX8 or the FM3 because they only have one amp block available?

Back
Top Bottom