Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Tube Drv (based on Butler Tube Driver, 3-knob and 4-knob versions)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

TD-3.png
TD-4.png

Tube Drv models: based on 3-knob and 4-knob Butler Tube Driver

The Tube Driver is one of the rare pedals that contain an actual tube (12AX7). It was designed by B.K. Butler (a keyboard player) to sound like an overdriven Hammond organ, think Deep Purple.

Eric Johnson used one when recording Cliffs of Dover. Other famous users include Joe Satriani, David Gilmour, Billy Gibbons. Pictures

Tone Report article about tube-powered pedals

The name of the unit can cause some confusion. There’s the Chandler Tube Driver, the Tube Works Tube Driver, the Butler Tube Driver... Butler’s first prototypes were marketed by a 3rd party: Chandler. According to Butler, Chandler ran off with the design and began selling copies, excluding Butler from the deal. Butler then started Tube Works, and later simply Butler.

Tone From Heaven:
“Actually the Chandler thing was a relatively minor incident in the overall history of my business activities. There’s not enough room here to elaborate much, but the truth of the matter is that somehow Chandler decided at one point that they had been the designer of the product, came up with the TD trademark and that I was infringing on their IP. They obviously had somebody attempt to copy the electronics and the physical design of my TD, then produced and sold them. I don’t know how many unauthorized units are out there. The mistakes inside are essentially within the EQ area and it would take too long to describe them. Also there is a basic ground loop mistake as well. The overall sound of the C copy is somewhat muted and not as clear on the upper harmonics, etc. Eric Johnson never used one of these copies as far as I know. All his pedals are ones I personally made. I never could understand why Chandler did that copy thing… They even challenged me in court and tried to convince the judge that Chandler was the actual owner of my design and the Tube Driver trademark. But the truth was obvious: In the end what was mine to begin with remains mine still… I then designed the black Real Tube pedal in 1986 which I still think is a superior pedal in some ways to the Tube Driver (ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons agrees) and then went on to design all my Tube Works SKUs: MosValve, Tube Works Real Tube rack products, combo amps and reverb… then the smaller 3 knob version of the Tube Driver was designed in an attempt to give an entry level price to tube lovers. Actually I never completely stopped making original Tube Driver pedals, but just didn’t emphasize them so much during the early TW years. Later in about 1993 or 1994 I revived the pedal in earnest and named it after my ‘love on 4 wheels’, the model 911. Many will be glad to know that I’m now making a few new Tube Drivers per month again due to word of mouth ‘push’. They have better components than the original as far as pots, capacitors, etc. I still use metal Switchcraft jacks and they’re completely true to the original design.”

Based on the above, Butler will not be thrilled to read the Axe-Fx II Owners’ Manual, because it states: “Based on the Chandler Tube Driver”. ;-)

Butler:
"There is NO Chandler Tube Driver… Never was a Chandler Tube Driver! They just marketed it for a while. But I do understand the confusion caused when I allowed their name to be included on my product. My lesson was well learned… enough said."

Most players prefer the 4-knob pedal. It’s the currently produced version which is true to the original, according to Butler. The 3-knob pedal was an entry-level version. But when it comes to the models, the 3-knob model seems to be a favorite.

Cliff:
"The 3-knob version sounds very different than the 4-knob version."

Original controls on the 3-knob version:
  • Out Level: controls the output level (model: Level)
  • EQ: controls the tone (model: Tone)
  • Tube Drive: sets the amount of distortion (model: Drive)
Original controls on the 4-knob version:
  • Out Level: controls the output level (model: Level)
  • Lo and Hi: controls bass and treble (model: Bass and Treble)
  • Tube Drive: sets the amount of distortion (model: Drive)
Cliff:
"Both of my actual pedals go silent with the Drive set to zero as would be expected looking at the design."

"The idea with the 4-knob version is to use the tone controls on the EQ page and leave the single Tone knob at noon. You can still use the Tone knob if you want but the model is only accurate with the knob at noon."

Eric Johnson runs his 4-knob Tube Driver (actually 5 knobs, because of an extra Bias control) and turns off Bass and Treble completely.

The Clip Type in Fractal Audio’s models is LV Tube.

Personal note:
It’s a deceiving model. I started with the default settings and couldn’t get a nice tone out of it, harsh and very thin in the upper registers. After doing research I learnt to dial it in.
When going into a pretty clean amp, turn up Level, keep Drive low and turn down Treble.
When going into a dirty amp, do the Eric Johnson thing: turn down Bass and Treble (or Tone in the 3-knob version) all the way, keep Drive low. And that's when the model starts to shine, IMHO.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. Both models require a medium amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
This was one of my early favourites after getting the AX - I actually like the 3-knob version best (hides under a table)

just a thought... It would be nice or rather interesting, if one could choose different tube types in this one.

As I understand it, these are low voltage tube (ie. starved plate) distortion boxes. I don't think that different tube types are going to matter in the same way it does with full voltage applications. My guess would be that they'd sound more alike in a starved plate application.

My go-to drive in my FX8 is the 3 knob with HV tube and advanced eq tweaks. It stacks up to or beats all my boutique drive pedals and amps. Never liked the 4 knob, too fizzy, the 3 knob has more growl to my ears. Would be nice to see other tube-based drives modeled.

As I understand it, these are low voltage tube (ie. starved plate) distortion boxes. I don't think that different tube types are going to matter in the same way it does with full voltage applications. My guess would be that they'd sound more alike in a starved plate application.
The default is LV. Maybe if you select the HV clipping type there would be noticeable differences between them? The HV type makes the 3 knob sound way better to me.

These are great drive models.

Now we need the full range of Kingsley tube pedals modeled. Those are just amazing tube drive pedals.

just a thought... It would be nice or rather interesting, if one could choose different tube types in this one.

This.

I have a 4 knob Butler driver. The standard 12AX7 put out way too much gain for my liking. I put in an 12AU7 and I get WAY more headroom and it's transformed the pedal a lot.

The tube has a large impact on this circuit. It most definitely is not for show like most tube based pedals.

Never cared much for those. I think they run on 12v or something (instead of 300v). Sounds more like a fuzzbox rather than a tube preamp.

They are an absolute bastard to dial in. The EQ is pretty extreme on it. Setting Bass\Treble to 0 is the best starting point and being super conservative with them both is key.

Running mine into my AFX gives me a bit of a tubey spongey sorta feel that I really like.

Reactions: yek
You got my attention when you said Kingsley! Yes, those are amazing pedals and I would love to see them modeled. Wouldn't mind seeing some of their amps modeled as well.

Back
Top Bottom