Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Tone of Kings (based on King of Tone, aka KoT)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Afbeelding1.png
Tone of Kings: King of Tone (KoT)

Together with pedals such as the Klon, the King of Tone (aka KoT), made by Analog Man (Mike Piera), is a pedal in high demand, even at its current price of 265 USD for a new one (used ones sell for over $ 400). After ordering it will take years to be delivered. List of KoT players...

Like a couple of other pedals / models covered in this guide, the KoT is a transparent overdrive that preserves the tone of the guitar, not too dry, not too saturated. It aims at natural amp-like overdrive, and won’t deliver a lot of distortion. It can handle any kind of amp: Fender, Marshall, etc.

It’s based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal (separately modeled by Fractal Audio: Blues OD model), rather than on the Tube Screamer circuit. There have been several versions. The current one, V4, has been unaltered since 2005.

“We totally redid the circuit with different diodes, chips, capacitors, treble boost, modes- pretty much everything was changed. And of course the KOT is two pedal circuits in one box. So our KOT pedal is not much like, and does not sound much like a BB pedal anymore. Especially the clean or distortion modes are different, and the higher gain option changes it even more, making it more useful throughout the DRIVE knob range. We used the higher gain KOT circuit as the base for the Prince Of Tone which came out in 2012, and improved the DISTORTION mode also on the POT.

The King Of Tone overdrive was designed to take an amp at reasonable settings, and make it sound like it would sound if it were naturally driven to pure, smooth, tube distortion. It was fine tuned with Jim's 1960s Fender Deluxe Reverb amp to duplicate the sound when his amp is singing, but at lower volume settings - to simulate the natural tube amp distortion of preamp and power tubes. It does the same thing on other amps like Vox, Marshall, etc, making them sing in their own voice. Jim's amp was modified by our good friend the late Cesar Diaz, and is about the best sounding Fender amp I have heard. Later on, I tested the KoT on my own 1966 Deluxe Reverb amp. My amp is stock, and does not sound that great when it's cranked up. It gets loud but not very warm or singing, a little harsh. My amp sounds MUCH better using the KoT for overdrive, then it sounds very close to Jim's amp.

The KoT is one of the few overdrive pedals available that is NOT based on a Tube Screamer circuit. In OD mode, it has a little less drive available than a Tube Screamer. It has quite a bit more volume available than a Tube Screamer and The TONE control has a similar range. The KoT has less compression than a tube screamer, and also does not boost the mids or cut the low end as much. It does not have a large amount of distortion.

Once we had a prototype that Jim liked and used on stage several times, I emailed the circuit to my collaborator in Japan, Ohbayashi san, and he tried several ideas I gave him. CAMTAC Ohbayashi san has a suberb ear for details like capacitor and chip selection and came up with some great ideas for the pedal- a chip and diodes that made it sound even better! The special JRC chip he preferred was designed for audio tone controls, and has a warm yet clear sound. The diodes are more open sounding, for a stronger, clearer, less compressed sound and more volume. All the nuances of your playing and each string of the guitar will come through clearly.

The Version 4 King of Tone was developed in late 2005 due to popular demand for separate controls for each channel of the original 4 knob KoT. The original KoT was one overdrive circuit, with 2 channels, having separate volume controls and internal configurations. Almost all "dual overdrive" pedals available are like this. The Ver4 KoT is actually TWO overdrive pedals in one box, one on each side. Remember that each side is a separate pedal, and they are the same except for how you set the DIP switches. Each side has an on/off switch, LED, and three independant knobs. Each side also has configuration DIP switches and a TREBLE trim pot on the inside. Having two actual overdrive circuits allows you to use both pedals at once, in series (stacking) for even more possible tones and levels of drive!

Each side has it's own Volume, Drive, and Tone control and LED. We use SUPER BRIGHT Yellow and Red LEDs so you can easily tell which channel is selected. In addition, there is a TREBLE BOOST knob on the inside of the pedal. This is a small knob or trimpot which can be turned by hand or with a pick or small screwdriver. Jim does not need more treble for his Tele, but I found it allowed some superb tones with my '59 reissue Les Paul through my '69 Marshall amp, similar to the sweet yet biting tones of Michael Bloomfield (I believe he used a Fender Twin amp with his famous 1959 sunburst).

There is also a four position configuration DIP switch on the inside of the KoT which you can use to choose between Clean, OD, and DISTORTION modes for each side.The modes are:

1) Normal Overdrive mode (OD mode) : This is the standard King Of Tone sound, which Jim likes best- a little less drive available than a tube screamer. Factory DIP switch setting has this mode on the right (red) channel. This mode can get about 4 times louder than a tube screamer if desired. This mode engages SOFT CLIPPING like most overdrive pedals.

2) CLEAN mode : This mode has less drive, can be used for clean boosts or clearer, louder sounds. It's like a clean boost with an overdrive knob. CLEAN MODE is even less compressed than the standard OD mode. The factory DIP switch setting uses this mode on the left (yellow) channel. This mode can get twice as loud as the OD mode. You can think of the clean mode as the OD mode with the overdrive removed, allowing louder, clearer tone. But the drive knob still functions and can add some drive to the sound, and volume as it's turned up. It's a cool sound with the drive knob cranked! This mode has NO CLIPPING, like most boost pedals.

3) DISTORTION mode : This mode has more drive than the standard OD mode- a touch of hard distortion. The sound is more compressed, yet retains the King Of Tone character. This mode can get about twice as loud as a tube screamer. Think of this mode as a cross between a Boss DS-1 distortion and OD-1 overdrive, with more clarity. We recommend most players use the OD and CLEAN modes. While the DIST mode sounds great, and I like to use it on certain occasions, it does not allow the pedal to get it's absolute BEST tones. You can put an aged single malt Scotch whisky on ice, but it would be a shame to dilute it! The DIST mode is awesome with the HIGHER GAIN option. This mode engages HARD CLIPPING like most distortion pedals and some fuzzes. It's best to turn the OD dip switch down when using the DIST mode, especially with the higher gain option to avoid duplicate clipping (soft and hard clipping together).

Either side can be set to any of the three modes, with the DIP switches. I recommend setting the right side for most distorted sounds and the left for cleaner, then when used together you get more of a volume boost. But if you want more distortion and compression, you can try it the other way around too.

At low DRIVE settings, or when playing softly, there is not much difference between the three modes- they all clean up very nicely as the clipping does not start until you turn the DRIVE knob up higher. This pedal cleans up a lot better than a Tube Screamer type pedal, if you play softly or turn your guitar down they will not have the underlying fuzziness that most pedals have.” AnalogMan

More information:
Fractal Audio has modeled the OD mode. The Distortion mode doesn’t have the same appeal and the pedal’s clean boost is already covered by other "clean boost" models, such as: Esoteric RCB, Eternal Love, Jam Ray, Micro Boost, SDD Preamp, Timothy.

ver4dips.jpg

The diode-based pedal’s controls are:
  • Drive: amount of overdrive (model: Drive).
  • Volume: output level (model: Level).
  • Tone: tone (model: Tone).

Link to the list of published threads

This (and more) information will also be included in the next edition of Yek's Guide to the Drive Models.

Last edited:
Excellent write-up as always yek

One question: You wrote that the pedals tone control is modeled by the 'treble' knob, and yet you chose settings based on the 'tone' knob in the model. Is the tone knob on the pedal not modeled by the tone knob in the model?

So I take it if you wanted to model both sides of it together just throw a Filter Block in front of the KoT Drive Block and use the Filter Block as a clean boost..
The only thing I’d be curious to know is if there is any EQing options on the KoT pedal on the boost side of the pedal.. and obviously we could also use either a PEQ or EQ Block as well for the clean boost side depending on what the capabilities are of the pedal. Hopefully someone with the pedal will know how that Boost side works or we can find out or figure out what the freq’s are.
There’s two Tone controls but are they Hi & Low for the drive side or just one tone each for each side?

Excellent write-up as always yek

One question: You wrote that the pedals tone control is modeled by the 'treble' knob, and yet you chose settings based on the 'tone' knob in the model. Is the tone knob on the pedal not modeled by the tone knob in the model?

My bad. :) Corrected.

So I take it if you wanted to model both sides of it together just throw a Filter Block in front of the KoT Drive Block and use the Filter Block as a clean boost..
The only thing I’d be curious to know is if there is any EQing options on the KoT pedal on the boost side of the pedal.. and obviously we could also use either a PEQ or EQ Block as well for the clean boost side depending on what the capabilities are of the pedal. Hopefully someone with the pedal will know how that Boost side works or we can find out or figure out what the freq’s are.
There’s two Tone controls but are they Hi & Low for the drive side or just one tone each for each side?

Each Tone control controls only that side of the pedal, no matter what the DIP switch is set too.

So when a side is set to Clean Boost, Tone at that side still operates (and Drive too).

I have no clue what the characteristics are of the Clean Boost mode. I don't think that's the pedal's USP either, IMHO. But I'm quite sure it's not the equivalent of a full-range flat-curve level boost.

So for a clean boost, I'd take one of the other models that can act as a clean boost, e.g. Esoteric RCB, Eternal Love, Jam Ray, Micro Boost, SDD Preamp or Timothy.

BTW, AM's recommendation is to put the boost after the OD.

Each Tone control controls only that side of the pedal, no matter what the DIP switch is set too.

So when a side is set to Clean Boost, Tone at that side still operates (and Drive too).

I have no clue what the characteristics are of the Clean Boost mode. I don't think that's the pedal's USP either, IMHO. But I'm quite sure it's not the equivalent of a full-range flat-curve level boost.

So for a clean boost, I'd take one of the other models that can act as a clean boost, e.g. Esoteric RCB, Eternal Love, Jam Ray, Micro Boost, SDD Preamp or Timothy.

BTW, AM's recommendation is to put the boost after the OD.
Ahh, I guess that does make sense seeing as how it’s purpose is not to add a lot of gain is to put the boost post drive.. and btw I wasn’t talking about the pure clean boost mode.. I was under the impression that the Normal operation, (the most preferable way to run it) it uses both a drive & a boost together. So something to add a little light distortion and goose the front end of your amp. I had a Keeley Tone Workstation that worked this way, although it also had a little more to it, (Comp) but it had Katana Clean Boost & Red Dirt. Decent enough pedal I suppose but nothing that the Fractal couldn’t handle. So anyway, that was my understanding of how the Normal mode was working on the KoT - OD & Boost.

Reactions: yek
I have a V4 KoT pedal, and use it as described here, with the left (yellow) side as a boost. It can also deliver a more overdriven tonality as it has its own drive knob. The function of boosting with that channel, for me, is to hit the amp’s input a little harder to get the overdriven sound from the amp. It works great that way, even with the right (red) side off. Kind of like using your guitar’s volume knob to control breakup. Doing this gives you three useful sounds by using left, right, or both.

I’d suggest a drive block like the Eternal Love be used as the yellow side. It’s a good starting place, anyway!

My pedal has the optional higher gain on both sides. As it can do all the standard stuff by turning the levels down, there was no reason not to have more useful gain in the top end of the settings. Excellent pedal, and one of a very few I didn’t sell after going Fractal.

Last edited:
I had one of these about 7 years ago and it was pretty awesome. I waited a year for it. Unfortunately, I sold it to fund my GAS. Totally regret that. I am mostly cured now thanks to FAS lol.

Hello - brilliant thread and thread subject - I too own a KoT and would not part with it.

Sadly, the KoT "Tone of Kings" drive block is not included in the AX8 and I really, really miss the tone - would the .BLK file from an AXE Fx 111 unit work in an AX8 ? If so, is anyone willing to copy the .blk file from their axe edit program on their hard drive and email that to me? of course for a donation to you or your favourite charity!

Kind regards

Phil.

I'd never heard of the King of Tone pedal, but the Tone of Kings pedal is my new favorite drive pedal in the Axe XIII. Thanks for the info about it.

The array of drive models available to us is astonishing.

It surely matters which amp and gain setting is used.

When updating the Guide to the Drive Models, I had trouble dealing in the KoT, Jam Ray and Heartpedal 11.
I turned out to be the 5.00 Beta 1 bug in some of the Fenders causing a bass overload. With Beta 2 they sound much better. Which reminds me: I have to update the demo presets...

Back
Top Bottom