Fractal Audio DRIVE models: T808 OD and T808 Mod (based on Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer)

I've never been a fan. The mid boost sounds really dark and nasally to me. I tend to like more transparent pedals. The SD-1 is a little more my flavor as a boost.

Agreed that this is one pedal that I found nothing to really like about it. Nasal in a way that just didn't sound right to me. I'll try the settings posted again...maybe I am wrong.

Curious R, what amps are you pairing them with or what sim do you use the most? The TD808 for me is similar to @iaresee with it pretty much is in the majority of my presets. Just curious what taste you're going for as the diversity of tone with the pedals makes me smile.

I guess add me to the list for the "Put him in a rocket and fire it into the sun" crowd that doesn't gel with this pedal. Too much high and low cut for me, but I'm mostly a humbucker guy so maybe that's why. Nasal and Honkey are the terms I use. I do use it in some presets but I'm always remove large amounts of the low and high cut from it. I grew up using SD-1's so maybe the mid bump just makes it uncomfortable for me, or maybe it's the symmetric clipping.

It's funny how gear is like that when you think about it. Some people totally bond with something and can make it sound great and others just fight it. The worst example for me is the Recto. I literally cannot make a (modeled) recto sound good. No matter what modeler. I've never tried a real one but since I've tried recto models on several devices and it's always been the same issue, I'm assuming I wouldn't bond with a real one either. I'm assuming the Axe model is pretty damn close. The thing is, I love the tones that recto users get themselves, I just can't make it work for me.

I guess add me to the list for the "Put him in a rocket and fire it into the sun" crowd that doesn't gel with this pedal. Too much high and low cut for me, but I'm mostly a humbucker guy so maybe that's why. Nasal and Honkey are the terms I use. I do use it in some presets but I'm always remove large amounts of the low and high cut from it. I grew up using SD-1's so maybe the mid bump just makes it uncomfortable for me, or maybe it's the symmetric clipping.

It's funny how gear is like that when you think about it. Some people totally bond with something and can make it sound great and others just fight it. The worst example for me is the Recto. I literally cannot make a (modeled) recto sound good. No matter what modeler. I've never tried a real one but since I've tried recto models on several devices and it's always been the same issue, I'm assuming I wouldn't bond with a real one either. I'm assuming the Axe model is pretty damn close. The thing is, I love the tones that recto users get themselves, I just can't make it work for me.

Marshall amps were always the same way for me. I could just never get a tone i liked out of one in person with the exception of a JCM800 that was platinum modded by Voodoo Amps. I always loved what I heard other people with them and couldn't ever figure out why they didn't work for me. I will say that i got decent reaults with a stock Vintage Modern and JVM410.

Well, I gave it another shot.

Have to admit I liked it much better. Tried it into a low(er) gain Plexi 100, and tried those settings of lower gain, high tone, and high level. It eased the nasal that I dislike, and gave it some 'oomph'.

It won't replace the FAS Boost for me, but at least I get some of what people like about it.

Well, I gave it another shot.

Have to admit I liked it much better. Tried it into a low(er) gain Plexi 100, and tried those settings of lower gain, high tone, and high level. It eased the nasal that I dislike, and gave it some 'oomph'.

It won't replace the FAS Boost for me, but at least I get some of what people like about it.

That's the thing. The FAS Boost is a LOT closer to a real TS808 than the TS808 in the AFX.

I had the same pedal for years, used it to drive already barking Brits like Plexi's and JCM's a little bit hotter. Never failed, always deliverd!
I still have the same TS-10 that I bought new in the 80s. I didn't really know anything about pedals at the time, but I did a shoot-out in the store. Two pedals at a time A/B, the loser went back to the display case and the winner went up against the next one. The Tube Screamer won out.

The switch on mine is a bit shot. The design makes it hard to fix.

In real life, I always liked what my vintage TS did for Fender amps.

In the Fractal, you can get the amp models sounding so great, I'm not as big a fan of the TS pedal sims. I find myself using PEQ, Filter, in front of the amp block vs. a TS.

And some of the other drive algo's catch my ear more than the TS sims.

The recent drive "redo" did make the TS sims sound much closer to my real pedal though.

There's an error in Premier Guitar quote. Boss OD-1 is nothing like TS9/808 schematic-wise. In fact there's two main OD-1 circuits out there one with quad op-amp and one with single dual op-amp.

Boss SD-1 is very much like TS9/808 schematic-wise with main difference in clipping stage

i have an original 808, in two boxes, in the top of the closet. lol. just saw that these going for serious premium now in the used market.

Thanks Yek for the info

Very low drive setting, low tone setting, level around 5-7...these settings work great at tightening up a high gain amp, especially the low end. I use them all the time like this and it works really well.

The Axe Fx is NOT modeling a TS808... It is modeling a TS9... :)

This kind of blew my mind honestly, almost like I've been living a lie lol.

I have an 808 drive block in front of the amp block in nearly all of my patches and this whole time I thought I was using a virtual replica of my old friend.

Guess I'm gonna have to dig him out of my old pedal board and break the news to him..

This kind of blew my mind honestly, almost like I've been living a lie lol.

I have an 808 drive block in front of the amp block in nearly all of my patches and this whole time I thought I was using a virtual replica of my old friend.

Guess I'm gonna have to dig him out of my old pedal board and break the news to him..
You know it's listed in the OP and even shows a pic of the TS9... I think the manual and wiki also say the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom