Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Shred Dist (based on Marshall Shred Master)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

MSM.png

Shred Dist (based on Marshall Shred Master)

In the 90s Marshall released the Shred Master pedal, a distortion pedal. Some say that, by today’s standards, it isn’t really a metal pedal for shredders. I think it’s a pretty high gain pedal though. It isn’t appreciated as much as Marshall’s Blues Breaker pedal from the same era. But it did become somewhat popular after it became part of Radiohead’s rig. It is not being made anymore.

About the difference between overdrive and distortion:

Pete Thorn:
“Overdrive and distortion units both add distortion to your guitar signal! A general distinction is that overdrive devices typically have circuits designed for soft clipping, while distortions have circuits that clip the signal more severely. This means that less of the signal is clipped in an overdrive circuit (resulting in a softer sound), whereas the more-aggressive hard clipping of a distortion creates more of a square-wave, harder-edged tone.”
The pedal has these controls:
  • Gain: sets the amount of distortion (model: Drive)
  • Bass and Treble: bass and treble
  • Contour: changes the character of the mids, scoopes the tone
  • Volume: controls the output level (model: Level)
The model has been around since the first generation Axe-Fx. The model hasn’t been mentioned in the release notes of the Axe-Fx II firmware, so it doesn't seem to have gotten an update in the meantime, except maybe the "G3" treatment (firmware 19.x).

I can't confirm if the controls exactly match the ones on the original pedal. The model’s Tone knob seems to operate as a, duh, tone control, unlike the description of the Contour knob on the real pedal. The range of the Level control is peculiar, going from 0 to 10 in the very first part of the sweep. The model’s Clip Type is Silicon.

Turn up Drive in the model and it starts feedbacking, even at low volume levels.

Personal note:
If I needed to rely on a Drive model for metal tones, I’d certainly choose the Shred Dist model over the M-Zone Dist model. But I don’t play metal so what do I know!

About CPU usage:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Shred Dist requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
Just had a go with this pedal model and I think it sounds fantastic. Try these settings:
Gain 4–8 (less for higher gain amps, more for lower gain)
Bass 7 (if you want a tighter sound, lower bass)
Contour 1
Treble 8
Level 5
Change clip-type to Red LED. It's like a combination of Marshall Guv'nor and Suhr Riot (both use red LED's).

Also cleans up really nicely with volume pot. I might build myself a real pedal like this someday.

EDIT: oops, just noticed this was in the Axe-Fx II section. You need a III or a FM3 to try these settings.

Last edited:
The FX8 doesn’t have all those controls. Just a tone knob instead of a contour. Just Drive, Tone, level.

Back
Top Bottom