Fractal Audio DRIVE models: SDD Preamp (based on preamp in Korg SDD-3000)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

Korgsdd3000_WEB.jpg

SDD Preamp: based on the preamp in Korg’s SDD-3000

Around the release of firmware 17 it became known that guitar player The Edge (U2) had started integrating Fractal Audio gear in his rig. At the same time the “SDD Preamp” drive model was added to the Fractal Audio's firmware. The Edge is known for using a Korg SDD-3000 digital delay which features a built-in preamp. The SDD Preamp drive model isn’t mentioned in the current Axe-Fx II Owner’s Manual, but I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that it is based on the venerable SDD-3000, and that there’s a correlation between The Edge’s endorsement of Fractal Audio and the addition of the model.

The SDD-3000 is a fairly low-resolution (13-bit) 19” digital delay that was released by Korg in 1982. Its embracement by The Edge contributed greatly to its popularity. The built-in preamp operates as a volume control and has a character of its own. The Edge often runs the SDD-3000 without its delays, just for its preamp. There are no specific preamp controls on the original delay, except for Input Level and input and output attenuator switches.

More information about the original SDD-3000's preamp, use of the attenuators switches, Edge's SDD-3000 settings and the pedal reissue

Original SDD-3000 service manual

Unlike the preamp in the Echoplex, there aren't many clones of the SDD-3000’s preamp. The SDD-3000 has been reissued a few years ago as a pedal, with help of Dallas Schoo (pronounce: "shoe"), the guitar tech of The Edge.

Fractal Audio’s SDD Preamp model can be used as a boost, because there’s a lot of gain on tap. But its main attraction is its ability to compress the guitar signal a little and add sparkle without harshness. It enhances the tone, adds warmth and chime in a subtle way and makes the highs jump out and "tingle", reminiscent of U2. Its Clip Type is Op-Amp.

Personal note:
I have the SDD Preamp to my disposal in almost every preset of my own. With Drive set at around 1.75 and Level at 3.75 (everything else default) it adds a delightful and addictive chime to any clean tone, subtle but so pleasing.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The SDD Preamp model requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
View attachment 37635

SDD Preamp: based on the preamp in Korg’s SDD-3000

There are no specific preamp controls on the original delay, except for Input Level.

Link to the list of published threads

Actually there are the input and output attenuators that affect the volume and distortion (from subtle to bad arse) of the preamp.. it would be super cool to know how they translate in the axe model..

Yek, You add so much to the forum!!!! I would have never tried this one out, but next practice I'm going to try your settings.

Thanks for the write up yek!

Got an original SDD3000, sounds great but it used to break regularly, KORG UK must have got fed up seeing it (delay times would drift, weird clicking in the delay circuit) in the end I gave up and just turned the delay part off and used the preamp, thankfully running it in the FX loop is not required any more with this model.

You had me at 'chime'.

I added this DRIVE to a couple of my clean presets tonight and I really like... Big thumbs up to @yek !!! I can't begin to thank the members of this community that give so much. My learning curve is still so steep... like near vertical. You guys are the best!

On the SSD drive block, I seem to be getting a tiny background 'whine' when engaged. Is this normal or do I have something adjusted incorrectly. I've got the block with default settings and in front of the amp block which is set to the Hook 1A model. I can experiment more tomorrow but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers!

I don´t have the AX8 with me, but I recall that the SDD preamp drive model sounded nearly (if not) the same as the model after/before on the AX8 list - I think it is the FET preamp. When you turned the button and changed to the FET preamp there was not even an audible "pop" as when you changed to other drives models. Why is this? Are these models really so close? I remember only once when I turnded the volume up and used another FRFR cab that I heard a bit of a difference... However, one of my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom