Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Ruckus (based on Suhr Riot)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
riot-front_small.jpg

Ruckus: based on Suhr Riot

John Suhr started his company JS Technologies after working with Bob Bradshaw and for Fender. Suhr builds high-end guitars, amps, pedals, pickups etc.

The Riot is a pedal that turns a clean or slightly dirty amp into a Marshall-esque high-gain monster. This pedal is praised for sounding like a real tube amp.

Suhr:
“Riot is a versatile high-gain distortion pedal with the sonic characteristics and touch sensitivity of a high quality 100 watt tube amplifier."

The pedal has these controls:
  • Dist: sets the amount of distortion (model: Drive)
  • Level: controls the output level (model: Level)
  • Tone: a treble roll-off (model: Tone)
  • Voice: three-way voicing switch, not modeled
Note that the Tone control is a treble roll-off. Don’t hesitate to set it fully clockwise, instead of keeping it at 5.

Of course the Drive block allows us to adjust far more things than the modeled unit: Bias, Slew, Mix, High Cut and other parameters are available to us. But that's beyond the scope of this thread. Those parameters are discussed in the manual and wiki.

The Ruckus model isn’t mentioned in the current Owner’s Manual. It’s probably based on the original Riot pedal, not the later Riot Reloaded version. The model was matched to the real pedal again in Quantum 5 firmware. Its Clip Type is Silicon.

Personal note:
Just like the BB Pre, the Ruckus is a great candidate to pick when you need to rely on a Drive block to get rock tones from a single clean amp block.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Ruckus requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
LOVE THIS DRIVE PEDAL! Ever sense they did the new version, it's been my go to for smooth rock tones. Drop this into a /13 and it slays.

Ok.. Now I think I know why I haven't been getting what I want from this one. I did know that the tone control was a high-cut type of thing, but I was working it backwards!

I've been setting it low thinking it was low treble... Now I need to try it correctly!

Didn't know that this was based on the riot. Any time I've tried it I thought it was too dark with too much gain, so I'll give it another go.

Ok.. Now I think I know why I haven't been getting what I want from this one. I did know that the tone control was a high-cut type of thing, but I was working it backwards!

I've been setting it low thinking it was low treble... Now I need to try it correctly!

Note that the Tone control is a treble roll-off. Don’t hesitate to set it fully clockwise, instead of keeping it at 5.

Ok, @yek - are you saying the you turn the Tone control clockwise to cut treble or am I misreading that?

I just checked and turning the Tone clockwise definitely increases the treble, and vice versa.

Ok, @yek - are you saying the you turn the Tone control clockwise to cut treble or am I misreading that?

I just checked and turning the Tone clockwise definitely increases the treble, and vice versa.

I think he's saying it's a treble 'cut'. Which would be different than adding treble. Start with it wide open and pull it back until it sounds right for you.

Or I'm completely missing it.

I think he's saying it's a treble 'cut'. Which would be different than adding treble. Start with it wide open and pull it back until it sounds right for you.

Or I'm completely missing it.
Yes, my wording was poor... But after what I observed and how you wrote it, I think it makes sense what he wrote: fully clockwise is NO treble cut.

So i've been running my Axe FX in 4CM for live use. In the FX Loop is a custom built 3 channel combo in the Mesa Mark IV vein. As much as the overdrive on the amp is sweet, I've been finding myself using the Ruckus as my main overdrive for some time. It's that good. Anyone else find that they're using this drive as their primary overdrive sound into a clean amp or amp sim? What amps are you running this pedal into?

From what I can see, the "Voice" switch changes out the clipping diodes. There's a pair of LED clipping diodes that are always on, and then with the switch you can add symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping diodes to them. The LED clipping diodes are parallel to the other clipping diodes, and they usually have a much higher forward bias than other diodes, so my guess would be that they would add comparatively little to the clipping tone when the other diodes are engaged, maybe a bit more when the gain is really high(?).

So I'd assume that you can emulate pretty much all of the action of the "Voice" switch by messing with the bias control and the clipping type parameter.

Lately I've been trying to build my sound around one amp.....Car Roamer. I find it to be my favorite in the box for clean and slight breakup.....to me it just has punch and pick attack like no other. So the trick was how to make it work for my high gain tones. The Ruckus was the answer. That combination, with Larry Mitchell's compressor block from the real amp sessions, really screams and cuts through in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom