Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Horizon Precision Drive (based on: Horizon Devices Precision Drive)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Afbeelding1.png
Horizon Devices Precision Drive

DescriptionMisha Mansoor’s popular tool for sculpting modern metal tones
Yek’s TipStart with Drive real low
Original Controls6-position Attack switch (Attack), Volume (Level), Bright (Bright), Drive (Drive), Gate

Misha Mansoor, also known as Bulb, is a member of the band Periphery, one of the top djent and progressive metal bands. He’s also a user of Fractal Audio gear. He founded the company Horizon Devices which released the Precision Drive pedal as their first product. Jim Dunlop/MXR builds the pedal for Horizon Devices.

The Precision Drive is a modern overdrive, specifically aimed at sculpting metal tones. Basically, it’s not that different from the Tube Screamer platform, albeit finetuned to work together with already overdriven metal amplifier (or modeler), adding bite (mids), and shelving and tightening the low end.

According to Horizon Devices, the pedal was developed with modelers (i.e. Fractal Audio) and profilers (i.e. Kemper) in mind, and there are reviews that state that the pedal works better with those digital devices than with tube amps.

“Never worry about fighting your tone or your gear again with the Precision Drive, the first modern overdrive made by guitar players for guitar players. The Precision Drive can take any set-up, both tube and digital, and turn it into the perfect modern metal rig with its precise tonal carving controls.” — Horizon Devices

Make sure to check out Horizon Devices’ commercials and tutorials, they are pretty funny.

The pedal has 5 controls:
  • Attack: sets the bite (mids) and tightens low end in 6 fixed steps (model: Attack)
  • Vol: sets the output level (model: Level)
  • Bright: adds highs (model: Bright)
  • Drive: sets gain (model: Drive)
  • Gate: noise gate (not modeled)
About the pedal’s Attack control:
“Towards the left is more of a lower mids punch, and to the right can get very defined and pick-y. Left is a little more oldschool and thick, right is very modern and clear. You can get tons of unique combinations combining the attack knob with the bright knob. Turning bright up as you turn attack to the left can help keep your sound balanced, and vice versa. Or totally double down with both to the left for doom-y tones, or both to the right for super bright and cutting tones.” — Guide

I'm not sure if the model’s Attack control is identical to the pedal’s 6-position switch. In the model, it’s a duplicate of the Bass Response control on the Adv page.

About the pedal’s Volume control:
“6 on the Precision drive is roughly equal to 10 on a Tubescreamer. So starting the volume at noon is usually a good bet. Adjust to taste from there.” — Guide

About the Bright control:
“We made sure this control could be very bright in order to help make dark or muddy amps cut. So be careful when using the pedal for mid/low gain tones, because it can be a bit harsh in the upper portion of its range. When doing this, don’t be afraid to turn this knob pretty far to the left. It will tame it right up!” — Guide

About the pedal’s Drive control:
“You’re going to want to start with this near zero at first, as with most pedals. A cool trick is to dial in a really dry and clear tone, then slowly turn the drive knob up to around 1-2 until you get the level of saturation and thickness you’d like. We put a lot of effort into this portion of the circuit to make it actually usable, so feel free to turn it up for mid-gain tones, or to add saturation and sustain to your solos.” — Guide

Fractal Audio’s model is diode-based.

Last edited:
Incredible. Fractal is out here consistently reminding everyone that there truly isn’t a better option for guitar tone than the Axe III. I’m very excited for this.

My AXEFXIII already sounds great. After the swing and a miss with that Peavey Invective, I can’t take anything his company says too seriously. I’ll check out the model, still.

Totally worth a try. I know the Invective didn’t do great, but I owned a Precision Drive that I used with tube amps and the Axe FX and it is really killer.
Seems like the Invective has good reviews, but I haven't looked into it too much. The concept seems good. Guess at that price point it's hard to move amp units in 2020.

Agreed - I don’t think it’s a bad amp at all, just tough to move a modded 5150 at that price. I think Misha’s stuff is pretty uniformly great though - if I still played tube amps, I would absolutely own an Invective. But the Axe III is so good, I just named my block letter patch ‘Invective’ and that works fine for me :)

Just a quick comment, having had some time to play around with this - the Precise Drive is absolutely incredible. I legitimately like it better than the actual Precision drive due to the ability to sweep the whole attack knob. Using it with a high gain block letter patch with drive on 0, attack and tone around 7, and level nearly all the way up, it’s the perfect tight modern boost. A/Bing it with the TS808 is no contest; it just cleans up the gain tone in a way that is, well, precise.

However, the application that really got me is how incredibly well suited this pedal is for boosting edge of break up tones - the juicy pick attack you can get from lower gain tones on the neck Humbucker or with split coils is absolutely addictive. Bravo to Fractal, knocking it out of the park as usual!

Back
Top Bottom