Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Hard Fuzz

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

logo-2.png

Hard Fuzz

Fractal Audio’s Hard Fuzz model is described in the Owner’s Manual as: “a hard-clipping, 60s-style fuzz”.

It has not been disclosed if the model is based on a real pedal. When comparing it to the other available fuzz models, it sounds closest to the Bender Fuzz model, with more gain and treble. Both models have Clip Type set to Hard. Perhaps the model (dating back to the Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra era) originally was based loosely on the Tone Bender pedal, and has been superceded by the later Bender model? Or maybe it’s a custom model, not based on any pedal. We don’t know. Since there are no more details to give, I’m filling the remainder of this write-up with general fuzz info.

Fuzz was one of the first “transistorized” guitar effects. Transistors amplify the signal and when they clip, distortion is generated. When the clipping is hard instead of gradual, the distortion is harsh and buzzy, named “fuzz”. The tone of fuzz depends greatly on the type of transistor used: germanium, silicon etc. (available as Clip Types in the Drive block).

If you want to read more about the origin of fuzz and guitar effects in general, I recommend Analog Man’s Guide to Vintage Effects, written by Tom Hughes (For Musicians Only), a joy to read.​

Back then the idea behind fuzz boxes was not only to approach the sound of a cranked amp (many vintage non-master amps sound like a fuzz when cranked: try the Brit JM45 model with Drive at 10), but also to emulate instruments like violin, cello and organ. While the latter is open to discussion, fuzz pedals never disappeared.

In real life fuzz pedals can pose players for challenges:
  • Germanium transistors are unreliable. The later silicon ones are more consistent but many players prefer the sound of germanium.
  • Many fuzzes rely heavily on a direct connection to the guitar’s pickups. Put a buffered pedal or a Wah inbetween and you’ll often lose your beloved fuzz tone.
  • Guitar pickups and the guitar’s volume also matter. Which is the beauty of fuzz.
This is important to us too:

Cliff:
"The Fuzz in the Axe-Fx reacts as though there is a buffer in front of it (because there is). It's a limitation inherent to all modeling products. I modeled it using a nominal source resistance. I forget what I used for the source resistance but it was probably around 100K ohms. To really simulate it you would need a controller to simulate the changing output impedance of the guitar.”

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Hard Fuzz requires the least of all Drive models: 10%.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom