Fractal Audio DRIVE models: FET Preamp (based on BOSS FA-1 Fet Amplifier)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

Boss_FA-2.jpg

FET Preamp: based on BOSS FA-1 Fet Amplifier

The FET Preamp Drive model is probably based on the rare BOSS FA-1 Fet Amplifier, from their short-lived Pocket Series. It’s a pocket-size amp (not a pedal), designed to attach to a player’s belt, without an On/Off switch.

Around the release of firmware 17 it became known that guitar player The Edge (U2) was using the Axe-Fx II. The Edge is known for his use of Korg’s SDD 3000 and the FA-1. The SDD Preamp and FET Preamp models currently aren't mentioned in the current Axe-Fx II Owner’s Manual, but I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that these are based on the venerable devices mentioned above, and that there’s a correlation between The Edge’s endorsement of Fractal Audio gear and the addition of these models.

It’s hard to find an original FA-1 nowadays. If you do find one, it will be expensive, mainly because of its adoption by The Edge. It has been cloned a lot though.

FET is abbreviation of Field-Effect-Transistor, a semi-conductor. FETs are used in pedals as well as amplifiers. In products for guitars you’ll encounter the MOSFET and JFET types the most.

Wikipedia:
“The field-effect transistor (FET) is a transistor that uses an electric field to control the shape and hence the electrical conductivity of a channel of one type of charge carrier in a semiconductor material. FETs are also known as unipolar transistors since they involve single-carrier-type operation. The FET has several forms, but all have high input impedance. While the conductivity of a non-FET is regulated by the input current (the emitter to base current) and so has a low input impedance, a FET's conductivity is regulated by a voltage applied to a terminal (the gate) which is insulated from the device. The applied gate voltage imposes an electric field into the device, which in turn attracts or repels charge carriers to or from the region between a source terminal and a drain terminal. The density of charge carriers in turn influences the conductivity between the source and drain. (...) The most commonly used FET is the MOSFET.”

Fulltone:
“FET’s can behave like Tubes in a properly designed circuit. They can “clip” (distort) in a pleasing way instead of being buzzy or spiky sounding (like a Transistor) and can also add a subtle Limiting to the signal which can even-out the volume making your Live and Recorded tones more pleasing to the ear.”

FET is implemented as a Clip Type in Fractal Audio’s Drive models. The FET Boost and FET Preamp models are showcases.

Although it was designed to operate as a portable amp, the FA-1 primarily is used as a boost. Slamming the input of amps to kick them into overdrive often results in better tone than using an overdrive pedal because the increased amp distortion is natural and transparent and the tone gets fatter. It enhances the characteristics of the amp instead of changing it. Boosts are often used before vintage amps like Vox and Plexis. The FET Preamp model can be used in the same way. Alternative boosting solutions are discussed in the FAS Boost thread.
The FA-1 has these controls:
  • Volume: controls the output volume (model: probably Level).
  • Bass and Treble: active tone controls. While the model also provides active Bass and Treble controls, they visually don't exactly behave the same as on the pedal.
  • Flat / Low Cut switch: a 6dB low cut at 200 Hz, designed to prevent feedback (“howling”) when using the FA-1 with acoustic instruments. Similar behavior can be achieved in the Model using the Low Cut control.
The FET Preamp model is not entirely neutral or clean. It adds grit and warmth to the tone. It has a lot more gain on tap than the FET Boost model.

Personal notes:
  • Can't deny it: a little bit of FET boosting in front of the amp does add recognizable Edge-ness to the tone.
  • The FA-1's design goal (amplifier) raises the question if its model can be used in our Fractal Devices as a substitute for a dedicated amp block. This would allow FX8 owners to make use of a basic virtual amp, allow AX8 users to add a 2nd "amp" path and users of the Axe-Fx to add a 3rd amp-like block. Try it for yourself and share your experiences below. :cool:
About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The FET Preamp model requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
I did some A/B comparison between the real pedal and the axe model a few months back, and I don't know how to describe this, but the real pedal has a little extra bite on the attack. As if it's a little crunchier when you strum and then cleans up immediately, the model doesn't have this sort of dynamic thing. Still, if I were only listening without playing it would fool me anytime!

I did some A/B comparison between the real pedal and the axe model a few months back, and I don't know how to describe this, but the real pedal has a little extra bite on the attack. As if it's a little crunchier when you strum and then cleans up immediately, the model doesn't have this sort of dynamic thing. Still, if I were only listening without playing it would fool me anytime!

I've been searching for this same thing in certain amp Models too... I'm guessing that Modelers just can't do that, because you know if it can be modeled Fractal can do it!

Would be very nice, exchange experiences,
to get closer to the real model as close as possible :)
it will be possible one day yek ? :rolleyes:

It’s hard to find an original FA-1 nowadays. If you do find one, it will be expensive, mainly because of its adoption by The Edge. It has been cloned a lot though.

Wow I had no idea these were hard for find and are going for what they are (yay thanks Edge!) :confused:. I bought a few old pedals years ago for $100 and the guy more or less threw this in...am floored to hear they are so coveted.

I still have it in my box of pedals and haven't used it for many years (since I replaced my pedalboard with an Ultra/MFC).

I modified my JCM-800 to have a power amp input and used the FA-1 at the end of my pedalboard chain to drive it.

This device has long been a favorite drive type in the AFX for me; I use drives rarely in the AFX but love this one, at times, to add a bit of hair and level going into the amp block. It's cool to be able to tweak this pedal in the drive block with all of the exposed parameters FAS provides.

Great series of articles Yek, love them!

Now...to find my FA-1 and put it up for sale....:cool:

Did you match the knobs on the real pedal with the settings in the Axe and find it wasn't a close match, or did you adjust the knobs to give as close to a matching tone as possible, ignoring if noon on a hardware knob actually equals 4 or 6 etc, on the virtual setting ?

Did you match the knobs on the real pedal with the settings in the Axe and find it wasn't a close match, or did you adjust the knobs to give as close to a matching tone as possible, ignoring if noon on a hardware knob actually equals 4 or 6 etc, on the virtual setting ?

No, I've not done any A/B comparison between the real pedal and the AFX FET drive; I just liked the character of that drive type and dialed it in with my ears until I found what I liked. When the Drive is turned up it has a sweet overdrive/distortion character that I like and is just enough to push an amp into a bit more saturation (along with a bit of gain/level to hit the amp block harder). It's awesome to be able to voice that pedal with the additional parameters in the drive block that the real pedal doesn't have.

Do you use the FET drive in the AFX?

I can't figure out why this is called a "FET" preamp. From what I can see, all of the gain comes from the opamp, and the only discrete FET in the circuit appears to just be a buffer. The opamp in he original pedal appears to have been a Hitachi 1457W, which, as far as I can tell was pretty hifi, probably better than the 4558 opamps people are substituting in clones.

The 1457W may have been based on FET transistors internally, but the only schematic I could find for it looks like BJT's to me. But I'm totally not qualified to say for sure.

I can't figure out why this is called a "FET" preamp. From what I can see, all of the gain comes from the opamp, and the only discrete FET in the circuit appears to just be a buffer. The opamp in he original pedal appears to have been a Hitachi 1457W, which, as far as I can tell was pretty hifi, probably better than the 4558 opamps people are substituting in clones.

The 1457W may have been based on FET transistors internally, but the only schematic I could find for it looks like BJT's to me. But I'm totally not qualified to say for sure.

"Original FET was a 2SK246".

More details here:

http://tonereport.com/blogs/do-it-y...r-seat-build-your-own-boss-fa-1-fet-amplifier

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.43.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.43.44 AM.png

The field-effect transistor was first patented by Julius Edgar Lilienfeld in 1926 and by Oskar Heil in 1934, but practical semiconducting devices (the JFET) were developed only much later after the transistor effect was observed and explained by the team of William Shockley at Bell Labs in 1947, immediately after the 20-year patent period eventually expired. The MOSFET, which largely superseded the JFET and had a profound effect on digital electronic development, was invented by Dawon Kahng and Martin Atalla in 1959.[1]

:)

This just answered 2 30 year old questions..

Last edited:

I read these work even better then 4558s..

JRC4559

warmth is still there but more UMPF.

lol

452 Dumble Fet
1457 w boss
4558 substitute
4559 warmer and more umpf.

Paging Burr Brown

I can vouch for those chips sounding stellar and more warm and more realistic and having more umpf.

id imagine since FAS has covered most of the better ts808 versions then the
burr brown version of 4558 or 4559 are modeled already...
might be applied to FET Block as it would be an improvement in my opinion after hearing before and after the burr brown replacement I went and did all my preamps with them..

if in fact the Fet was modeled after the 1457w as shown in original schematics
there could be a FAS mod adjustment done there which might improve the Fet.

1452 is done already ods clean
1457 is done already BOSS
4558 is clone substitute and 4559 is burr brown and the better sounding of the lot..
Just by modeling a Fet with 4559 ...vs 1452 or 457 might yield a better Fet sound ..

in fact I think 4559 does sound better knowing burr brown made them
I can state right now they sound better and warmer and more realistic then 1457

So exploring 4559 for FET also is worth it same as it was worth it for the TS MODS
I think..

if boss is 1457 and 4559 is burr brown im not sure 4559 for Fet has been done yet has it ?

Id say it was worth it since it made such a huge difference in sound in the TS 808 pedals and Texas instruments bought them for 7.6 billion dollars in 2000.

Thats staggering so the chips were sound and solid gold.
Then....
Now they should be even better one should think..

someone likely makes this pedal with the better sounding chips by now..
might entail modeling one of those just for 4559.

if they say burr brown I say absolutely yes.
instant improvement.

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=6146398&q=hi

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.56.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.56.17 AM.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

I know that. The FET appears to only be an input buffer. All of the amplification comes from the opamp.

The opamp, of course is just a circuit on a chip, and the schematics for most opamps are readily available. It would seem to me that you could still truthfully call it an "FET" Preamp if the amplifying chip used FET transistors. But the circuit diagram I found for the chip looked like BJT transistors were used.

But it's not like the name has any effect on the sound. I was just wondering.

The FA-1 has these controls:
  • Volume: controls the output volume (model: Level).
  • Bass and Treble: active tone controls. While the model also provides active Bass and Treble controls, they visually don't exactly behave the same as on the pedal.
  • Flat / Low Cut switch: a 6dB low cut at 200 Hz, designed to prevent feedback (“howling”) when using the FA-1 with acoustic instruments. Similar behavior can be achieved in the Model using the Low Cut control.
I'd like to know, to be irrelevant, as I set the gain control?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom