Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Compulsion Distortion (based on: Fulltone OCD, v1)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
OCD.png
Fulltone OCD

DescriptionA modern overdrive/distortion classic with a wide gain range
Yek’s TipUse the channels of the Drive block to dial in the model with various amounts of gain
Original ControlsVolume (Level), Drive (Drive), Tone (Tone), Low Peak/High Peak switch

Fulltone’s Full-Drive is discussed elsewhere in this guide. Mike Fuller followed up on the success of that pedal with the best-selling Obsessive Compulsive Drive or OCD. It’s a modern MOSFET-based overdrive / distortion with a very wide gain and dynamic range. It’s said to be one of the few pedals that nails the warm sound and response of a driven tube amp convincingly. It was an instant hit with guitar players, including famous ones such as Keith Urban, as well as bass players. Also, the OCD has always been affordable.

“The OCD was the first pedal to use Mosfets as clipping devices. Another first was their configuration as "hard clippers connected to v-ref" instead of to ground, as was the norm. These things contribute greatly as to why the OCD has such touch-sensitivity...why they react so well when the strings are hit hard or soft, and why they sound & feel different than all other pedals out there, 90% of which are just slight tweaks of the Tube Screamer.” — Fulltone

“The Fulltone Obsessive Compulsive Drive (OCD) is an extremely open sounding Overdrive/Distortion circuit that differs from other overdrives in that it has a good bit more Dynamic-Range...meaning the difference between picking soft or picking hard will actually yield a more natural and wider range of distortion (with less compression) than traditional diode-clipped overdrives. The OCD also creates complex overtones without changing the inherent tone of whatever amp and guitar you’re playing through, in the process lifting off that blanket other drive pedals can put on your signature sound.

The OCD accomplishes its tube-like distortion through the unusual combination of overdriving its JFET opamp, and then hard-clipping with a pair of MOSFETs later on in the circuit. This topography did not exist in a pedal prior to the OCD, and the circuit works very well with a vast array of guitars and amps. Because of its large amount of available output volume, the OCD works great as a booster in front of amps to goose them into submission, as well as through Master-Volume amps to drive them much harder than most OD‘s can, but it also excels at creating its own distortion with all the chime of a Class A amp and its complex array of overtones. The OCD gives you the feeling that your amp is Cranked at even living room volume so Clean playing is more dynamic and dirty sounds still have the ringing overtones. The OCD’s can access a slew of other in-between sounds by simply turning up or down your guitar’s volume control, in fact, no other pedal “cleans up” like the OCD.” —
Manual

Fulltone released the OCD V2 in 2017. But before that, the original OCD (V1) already had been changed 7 times by Fulltone (versions 1.1 – 1.7). It’s unknown so far which V1 version of the OCD Fractal Audio has modeled.

Reviews:
The pedal has 3 knobs:
  • Drive: amount of overdrive (model: Drive)
  • Tone: controls tone, noon is neutral (model: Tone)
  • Volume: output level (model: Level)
And there is a Low Peak / High Peak switch on the pedal which selects different frequencies for the Tone control. Fractal Audio’s two models (fw 13.02) represent the two positions of the switch.

The Drive control covers an enormous range of gain. At low settings it works great as a boost, like a Tube Screamer. Turn it up and you’ll discover the potential of this model, from a mild crunch into high gain. It excels at any position and it isn’t hard to see why the pedal is so popular.

Last edited:
Right, which version and which switch setting (LP/HP)? I imagine it's the one in the OP of Wish: Fulltone OCD (schematic included), likely v1.4.

Probably not possible without a different model but maybe it's possible emulate the LP/HP switch in the block (LP: 33k in series, HP: 13.2k effective in series with vol pot):

1597425364652.png

The pedal is probably modeled in the HP position, because that fits the OD characteristics and enables the full frequency range. There’s no need to model the switch I think.

Huge thanks for this one.

I'm a fan of running these pretty hard into the front of "slightly gritty" clean AC30. Not perfect, but I dialed in a pretty decent starting point in about a minute:

Drive: Compulsion Drive, Drive 10, Tone 6, Level 8
into
Amp: Class-A 30W set to pretty clean sounding: Input drive 2.00, Input trim 0.75, everything else default
into
Cab: Factory1 - 835 + 843, everything set to default

edit: something like this will probably sound even better with similar settings in the "HP mode" once that's implmented.

My live sound for a few years was an OCD into an '83 jcm800 2203, so I look forward to playing with this.

I never owned one either, but it was all the craze here in Denmark - people would stack 2-3 OCDs in front of their Fender amps, and it really sounded good.

OCD lovers, I tone-matched the Compulsion Distortion to my two pedal versions (1.4 & 1.1) in both LP and HP mode and saved them off as IRs attached. The tone match to my OCD v1.4 in LP mode is pretty flat so it's likely that is the version Cliff modeled.

The preset (1st attachment) has the following scenes:

1: Compulsion - new OCD drive model as is (most likely v1.4 LP)​
2: OCD v1.4 - LP - tone match using IR (User 1 #60) - slight mid bump but pretty flat​
3: OCD v1.4 - HP - tone match using IR (User 1 #61) - large mid bump (suppressed lows)​
4: OCD v1.1 - LP - tone match using IR (User 1 #62) - scooped​
5: OCD v1.1 - HP - tone match using IR (User 1 #63) - tilted from low to highs​
8: [Pink Noise TMA] - used for tone matching pedals in OUT/IN 3​

Note: There's a CAB block for the IRs after the DRV block. There's also an IRP block (bypassed) that can alternatively be used.

To get as accurate tone matches as possible I used synth pink noise into both the model and my pedals. The Compulsion settings were at default (all main dials at noon) as were my pedals. The results were pretty smooth, but I used 75% smoothing so that the IRs are basically smooth EQ adjustments. I had to bump the IRs about 9dB to get to about unity volume. Based on the TMA curves below, one could use pedal post GEQ or a post PEQ/GEQ block to do something similar (with less CPU), however the TMA graphs don't have a vertical scale.

TMA monitor curves for OCD v1.4 LP and HP:
1597625950180.png 1597626035658.png

TMA monitor curves for OCD v1.1 LP and HP:
1597626200226.png 1597626289519.png

Looped riff played through Compulsion, then each TM (1.4 LP, 1.4 HP, 1.1 LP, 1.1 HP).

Attachments

• Compulsion - OCD Tone Match.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • OCDv4LP 75%.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 8
  • OCDv4HP 75%.syx
  • OCDv1LP 75%.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 9
  • OCDv1HP 75%.syx
Last edited: